What's new

Who makes good polarized sunglasses?

After losing about a thousand pairs on sunglasses, I've decided that I'm going to invest in a decent pair, and hope that the cost will force me to appreciate them more, and in turn not lose them.

I always buy polarized sunglasses. I don't go fishing, ever, but I think that the polarization really helps reduce glare and bright lights. I have extemely sensitive eyes to bright lights. I almost always get a head ache on sunny days, mostly from cars reflecting sunlight.

I've heard that as far as polarization goes, cheap lenses and expensive lenses aren't much different. Is this true or unknown?

I would like to know what a good brand is, and maybe a specific model. Scratch resistant, glass lens (I assume glass is of better quality.)

I don't care much for name brands, unless they honestly live up to their quality.

I would like to spend no more than $100.

top of my list would be Costa Del Mar, Maui Jims, and Rayban......Oakley Polarized are good too but you pay more for the name than the quality and they scratch super easy....

I have been using Persols for about 18 years. I also like Vuarnet. Most of these glasses are polarized.

+1 on Maui Jim and Rayban.

The only problem I've had with my Raybans is that the rubber(?) part that goes over your ear disintegrated on me after about three years. I figure it's because I always left them in my vehicle, no matter how hot or cold. The Maui Jims were fantastic and lasted up till the point my brother sat on them. :mad:

They're hard to find in the $100 range, but both brands provide excellent visibility while keeping your eyes protected.

So... on the lower priced spectrum... I use a pair of polorized no-names from walmart - ~$20. I fly fish and it makes a huge difference for me - I've used Oakleys, and the ones from Walmart (for me) work just as well or better. Cheap and work great, and I dont have to worry about losing them in the stream, I can afford another pair :001_smile

Costa Del Mar's have been my favorites. I like their quality of lens best and they've been the most scratch resistant.

Randolph Engineering Aviator with polarized gray lenses. They run around $100, shop around I found a pair at a local airstrip a few years ago for $40. I have been using them ever since. I am rough on sunglasses and wear them daily( sunny Phoenix), and have not had any problems at all with them.
:cool:

I believe Ocean Waves has a better selection of models and their quality is excellent

proxy.php

I think I'm going to go with the Persols. They look incredibly sharp and when I went to try some one earlier they fit really well.

These are what I'm looking at.

proxy.php

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I like my Bollé. I got a good deal off ebay when I bought them. However, you can get cheaper polarized sunglasses. I think it depends if you feel confortable with them or not.

In my case, I am looking at changing mine after 8 years now because I have some green/gray lenses. I always wanted brown polarized because I find that everything is clearer and you see better. Now, it might not be everyone that think that. It took me 8 years to start looking again. I got a pair of Nike brown polarized for my Dad 2 years ago and he loves them.

For protection, the label is important. If it protects with UVA UVB, etc. Here in Oz, we have a compagny named "Black Ice" that's very very good.

Maui Jim has a great frame replacement program that I have had to use twice. I think its like $10 for the plastic frames. You send them your frames, they replace em and swap the lenses. I have 2 pairs of MJ's that i've had for 10 years. Both times they've even come back with a new lens cloth and case.

I've had Maui Jim, Rayban, and Oakley polarized sunglasses. While they all have their pros and cons, for my money I prefer the MJs simply because they are light enough that you can literally wear them all day without becoming uncomfortable like both of the other brands do (on me). As always YMMV

EDIT: Problem with MJs is that they are really pricey...

Last edited:
Another Costa Del Mar fan. I have had mine for nearly nine years now. I have sent them back twice for repairs and Costa Del Mar's service was quick and easy to use.

Top Bottom