What's new

Shave oil causing hairs to stick to blade

I use a pre-shave oil to do my touch-ups. Works really well, not least because I can see clearly where I need to remove the hair. However, I do notice when I am cleaning up that there are hairs stuck to my razor blade. They won't rinse off because of the oil, so I am forced to remove the blade and manually wipe it - dangerous! Does anybody have any suggestions? I presume that an alcohol dip would also not solve the problem.

Thanks

Just read somewhere else that by leaving the oil on the razor, I will actually be preventing the blade from rusting! So I guess the only downside risk is that the hairs may gum up the razor.

Hmmm ...

Just read somewhere else that by leaving the oil on the razor, I will actually be preventing the blade from rusting! So I guess the only downside risk is that the hairs may gum up the razor.

Hmmm ...

You'll want to clean the razor off and use some fresh oil on it, though. Try using a Q-tip.

I use oil for touch up too, and I haven't found any way to get all of the crud off without removing the blade, although you can usually get the bulk off by running under the hot tap.

I usually remove the blade; this morning I gave it a gentle strop on the palm of my hand which gets the bits off nicely. Whether it does the edge any good I don't know. You can see the technique demo'd here

[YOUTUBE]Ogq4wfpT7hc[/YOUTUBE]

Top Bottom