What's new

After Shave Quest

For years I have had a beard only shaving when necessary. Times have changed and I find myself shaving more often and I am in need of a new after shave. I have been using Alfred Sung Paradise aftershave balm. It smells great and no burning. Has any one used this and what other after shave do you use?

You will probably get a ton of responses on this. Aqua Velva is cheap, works great and smells OK. I am a huge fan of any of the AS or ASB's from GFT or T&H. Also, GFT Skinfood products are great after using your AS to help keep your skin healthy and from drying out.

+1 on the Skin Food. Amazing stuff really.

Also, try Nancy Boy aftershave gel. It is somewhat akin to Skin Food, but cools the skin better.

Check out the reviews forum and pick a couple to buy and try. If you dont like them, post them in the B/S/T and someone will snatch them up. Then, go buy some more!

You probably should try a few things before settling to a specific after shave again. Remember, variety is the spice of life. Try something with Menthol in it (Speick, Proraso, D. R. Harris Arlington and tons of others which I don't know) they're great.

Do you have dry, normal or oily skin?

Do you like an after shave to stick around, as far as scent goes?

Is your skin sensitive and reacts easily to irritants?

Do you like splashes or prefer balms or do you want to use both?

Do you like a cooling sensation?

I would say dry skin and I like the balms. And as far as the cooling sensation I have never tried any thing with a cooling sensation. The smell can not be to strong because i have birds.

cheap lotion for dry skin - CHL < corn huskers lotion > almost no scent.

Possibly Nivea , the Sensitive version has the least secnt - correct me if I am wrong people.

I like W&S but some have said it doesn't provide enough moisture. I have oily skin so I can't argue. There are better ones that moisturize I am sure, I love them for the scent and quick absorbing factor.

EDIT : after looking around, people love Institut Karite and Pre de Provence lotions. They are high in shea butter so be warned.

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Check out the review section if you have a specific one in mind or check out the previously reviewed aftershaves in the aftershave of the week.

I have a cockatiel, a Goffins cockatoo, parakeet and a parrotlet they can be very sensitive to smells. Like no incense or most candles and no air fresheners. So to make sure that they stay healthy we keep a close eye on sents that we use as long it is not over powering it should be fine.

I have a cockatiel, a Goffins cockatoo, parakeet and a parrotlet they can be very sensitive to smells. Like no incense or most candles and no air fresheners. So to make sure that they stay healthy we keep a close eye on sents that we use as long it is not over powering it should be fine.

what do they do? cool

You will probably get a ton of responses on this. Aqua Velva is cheap, works great and smells OK. I am a huge fan of any of the AS or ASB's from GFT or T&H. Also, GFT Skinfood products are great after using your AS to help keep your skin healthy and from drying out.

+1 on the Skin food, I swear by it and use it after every shave and it leaves my skin in wonderful condition. And since discovering Spieck I would now highly praise this as well.

So i got the Ogallala Bay Rum and one of their soap samplers I am going to give that a try and look in to the skin food as well.

Definitely check out Nivea Sensitive post shave balm. You can find it at any grocery store, walmart, pharmacy, etc. It works great and has very little scent. If you want, you can add essential oil to it to scent it however you like (I've tried lime, and lemon / lime). Just add 10 drops at a time to a full bottle, and it would be wise to try scenting a smaller amount first to make sure the EO doesn't bother your face.

I got the Ogallala bay rum in and I got two sample of the lime and peppercorn after shave and one of the soap I liked it but not so much the wife when she smelt it her nose curled up and started twitching and calmly said ohm no it was kinda funny.

I like Nivea's AS balm (regular and sensitive-skin) a lot, but now I'm trying Aubrey Organics' North Woods balm: it has a gentle scent that doesn't linger long, and, for me, the consistency seems just right. (I also like the pump applicator a whole lot...might sound terribly trivial to some, but not to me.) It might well become my new locally-available standard.

- Barrett

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I used to have L'Oreal for men AS, that was good for razor burn and ingrown hairs. Nivea sensitive is a great also and very easy to find, it's everywhere. I have a vintage Body Shop razor burn AS tube (they don't make it anymore so it's vintage). Proraso white AS is a great after shave, one of my favorite.

Top Bottom