What's new

Custom Scandinavian medieval inspired knife

Just had to show of my new medieval inspired knife from Claus Bernhardt. Sorry about the poor quality pics. the light is really bad today:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The blade, which is 7,9 cm. long, is made in a simple Scandinavian twisted two-layer damask
The handle, which is 11,5 cm. long, is bog-oak with fossil mammoth ivory
The scabbard, which is left untanned, is made simple and discreet for use on re-enactment fairs

Regards.

Jakob

Thank you. Claus is very talented bladesmith and knifemaker - and his prices are quite reasonable as well.

This will not be the last knife I get from him. I am already discussing the design of a large mountainman bowie/arkansas toothpick with him.

Regards.

Jakob

It was a gift from the maker, because I assisted him in finding som useable refrences for historical medieval knives, for him to copy. I believe a knife like that would be around D.Kr. 2.500, spprox. $ 420. Maybe a bit less.

Regards.

Jakob

I am quite sure you actually could. Though you would probably have to wait quite a while for the knives - the man is an artist, which means his knives are fantastic, but he works without deadlines :001_smile

Regards.

Jakob

That's a beautiful piece of work. It almost looks like there's no edge on it, but I've read that Scandinavian blades usually don't have secondary edge bevels. Very nice!

That is an incredible knife! Do you do reenactments? That is another hobby I am getting into, but a different time period.

Thanks

Yes, I do re-enact, mostly North European medieval middle-class anno 1448-81; www.aarhus-middelalder.dk - I used to train and teach WMA before my shoulder died on me.

But, I also do a bit of North American late 18. c./early 19 c. mountainman/trapper reenactment - and occasionally shoot some black powder.

Re-enacting is my main hobby, it is my thing, I can highly reccomend it - but I must warn you; the AD's are terrible :wink:

Regards.

Jakob

I can highly reccomend it - but I must warn you; the AD's are terrible :wink:

Yes, I am taking it that the tents and plate armour are rarer and more expensive than Gillette Techs:001_smile The galleries on your website are very interesting, worth a peek.

The food looks interesting.

The only thing that niggles with me about re-enactments is that everyone looks so clean and healthy, I have it in my mind that people back then washed themselves or their clothes rarely and were riddled with various poxes and vitamin deficiencies. But I understand why you don't take it that far:wink:

The maker asked me to say hello and thank you for all your kind words.

Regards.

Jakob

Jakob--

That is an astonishingly beautiful blade. I would be proud to own something made by such a master craftsman. My grandfather was from Aarhus--I like to think that one of my kin once carried something like that. I hope that you get many years of good use out of your knife.

Nice little cutter... I've always liked Scandinavian knives, and actually have a couple (dozen) Mora's laying around (house, car, garage, various bags...)

Top Bottom