What's new

Brylcreem US vs Brylcreem UK???

Anyone try the two? How do they compare?

US
proxy.php

UK
proxy.php

I can't help you with the U.K. version but I do own a few jars of the Canadian Brylcreem in a jar. I picked them up at Toronto Beauty and Barber Supply when I was in Toronto last fall. As far as I know Brylcreem is available in a jar only in Europe and Canada. In the U.S. we only have it available in a tube. From what I have read online it appears that different parts of the world have different formulations of Brylcreem. The Canadian and U.S. versions appear really similar except for a few notable exceptions...

Canadian Brylcreem jar: jar looks exactly like U.S. tube, black background, exact same white letters with red stripe. The European jar looks less "old school."

Canadian Brylcreem consistency: appears a tad bit more watery/runny than U.S. version. I prefer this as I can spread it more easily through hair.

Canadian Brylcreem color: perfectly bright white color, the U.S. version is a little more egg shell/off white

Scent is the exact same as far as I can tell.

The most important part is the final performance and on this they are both equal. I can only imagine you would also find the same performance with the European formulation except also probably a few subtle differences along the way just as is the case with the Canadian product. However, at the end of the day I probably prefer the Canadian version as I generally prefer jars to tubes if possible.

Last edited:
Canadian Brylcreem consistency: appears a tad bit more watery/runny than U.S. version. I prefer this as I can spread it more easily through hair.

I once got a US tube that was really runny. Maybe it was bad or old or something.

I have not tried UK brylcreem, but they do have several different kinds available:

http://www.brylcreem.com/brylcreem-range/

Now that I am looking at the websites, I'm not even sure the US and UK products are related or even made by the same company.

Last edited:
I've never tried this stuff. Is it greasy? Is it just a styling gel? What's the deal with it? Will I look like I've slicked my hair with oil, or is it a little more refined than that?

I once got a US tube that was really runny. Maybe it was bad or old or something.

It's definitely possible that it could be an old tub, perhaps the "runnyness" was caused by some of the product coming out of solution. It's almost like it isn't fully mixed together or something.:confused:

I've never tried this stuff. Is it greasy? Is it just a styling gel? What's the deal with it? Will I look like I've slicked my hair with oil, or is it a little more refined than that?

Yes, Brylcreem can be greasy (the second ingredient in the list is mineral oil)...but it depends on how much you use. It's not a gel, it's the constitency of a cream. It will style your hair, but will not hold as well as a gel. Another traditional product that is a gel and gives similar results to Brylcreem, without being greasy, is Groom & Clean.

Remember, "A Little Dab'll Do Ya." For me a dab is about the size of a fingertip (about a nickel size or so). Use anymore than this and you will start to get that "oil-slicked" look. If you get just the right amount it makes hair look very healthy and well-groomed without being oily or hard and crispy like a gel. Picture men's hair in the 40's and 50's. It's a good product to use if you are going for that classic look.

Yes, Brylcreem can be greasy (the second ingredient in the list is mineral oil)...but it depends on how much you use. It's not a gel, it's the constitency of a cream. It will style your hair, but will not hold as well as a gel. Another traditional product that is a gel and gives similar results to Brylcreem, without being greasy, is Groom & Clean.

Thanks- bought some the other day. I see what you mean that it isn't a gel, but allows you to style your hair. No real hold to the product but let's you position it the way you want and it stays there (until there's a strong wind). I think it's going to take a little experimentation- day one was a bit greasy but not overly so. Not sure about the smell though... at least it doesn't seem to linger around for long.

Top Bottom