What's new

Giving this a shot

I suppose I should introduce myself. My name is Holly. First I would like to say that my shaving with a DE was NOT my idea. However, I’ve finally decided to admit it just might be better than what I was using.

My shaving snob of a husband has been nagging me to try a DE since I complain about my razors. On a personal pride note, I did resist for quite some time, though ultimately failed miserably. Because, here I am.
I dabbled now and then with his DE just to give it a shot to shut him up.

Tonight I had the house to myself and I decided to give it a fair chance, without him influencing my opinions. I made both a interesting and depressing discovery. I used his brush. The disturbing discovery was, I didn’t like it. Doesn’t seem like much of a discovery except that I actually had a preference for the brush he had me use before.

Realizing I prefer one of his crazy shaving products to the other… that was when I knew that I was at least starting to like it. But, shhh, don’t tell him. I don’t think I’ll ever live it down. I do have to admit that it does work better, and I don’t get all the things I hate about my four bladed razors.

I guess what I’d like to know more than anything, is from women. I know there are women who shave with straights and DEs. I know what my husband does, and some of it just isn’t for me. Besides while I’ve learned a lot from him and what he’s learned, shaving your legs is a touch different. Nothing like standing in the shower with a razor in one hand, and your leg somewhere on the ceiling just to shave the back of your knees.

Ahhhh. *giant sigh of relief*

It's a good day when she not only shaves, but comes to the dark side. Welcome home darlin.:biggrin::lol::lol:

B

ButtGump

My wife isn't home right now, but I'll chime in for her. The first time she used a DE she tried to use it like a multi-blade, which meant long strokes and multiple strokes over the same area. She didn't cut herself, but she did get bad razor burn. At that point she was ready to swear the whole thing off, but I convinced her to let me do it for her. That time she had no problems and said that she enjoyed it. So it seems that, just the same as for guys, it all comes down to the technique.

As for the positioning question (if that was a question) sometimes she stands in the shower and other times she sits on the edge of the tub. Using a DE hasn't seemed to change that.

my girlfriend allowed me to shave her legs a few times and she overall loved the experience....she loved how it felt like a fun ritual other than a chore......and she loved how smooth her legs got and how she didn't get any ingrown hairs....

My husband actually started me off by shaving my legs for me too. I admitted that it was a good shave, just seemed like too much work.

Actually the only trouble I'm having is finding a comfortable way to shave. Perhaps scents that are more 'female friendly.' Not even sure what to look for honestly.

As for the actual shaving part, I don't have any trouble with it so far. Worst I've done was manage to nick the back of my knee. So in the grand scheme of things, I don't think I'm doing too bad.

Sorry guys, but if I were a woman I wouldn't shave my legs with a DE. It takes me 30 to 45 minutes for my face, I can't imagine doing it on legs!

Ok. But, this was my first full DE shave. WITH a learning curve, considering I'd never done it all on my own before. I think it took me 15-20 minutes. Fairly certain once I'm set on what kind of soap (or whatever else I choose) it'll probably take about 10 minutes. Which isn't much longer than shaving with a cartridge.

Sorry guys, but if I were a woman I wouldn't shave my legs with a DE. It takes me 30 to 45 minutes for my face, I can't imagine doing it on legs!

Welcome. I read your post to my wife. She's still resisting but it is futile!

I hate to admit it, as much as I was totally against the DE shaving, I do kinda like it now. I gave my husband all kinds of crap about it too. :001_smile Now that I've done it, I can't deny how awesome it is. *sigh*

My husband actually started me off by shaving my legs for me too. I admitted that it was a good shave, just seemed like too much work.

Actually the only trouble I'm having is finding a comfortable way to shave. Perhaps scents that are more 'female friendly.' Not even sure what to look for honestly.

As for the actual shaving part, I don't have any trouble with it so far. Worst I've done was manage to nick the back of my knee. So in the grand scheme of things, I don't think I'm doing too bad.

Welcome to B&B! Perhaps you could ask your husband to get some lavender shaving soap or cream! Haven't tried it myself, so I don't know how 'female friendly' it will be, but my barber told me that when women come into his barbershop for shaving soap (supposedly for their husband), they always end up buying the lavender one.

First off welcome!

Second, there are a ton of soaps that dont scream manliness and are softer, milder scents that are still slick.

I'd recommend you try out our reviews forum under the soap category. Col Conk's Amber comes to mind off the top of my head...very mild, clean scent and dirt cheap at $3.50 a puck!

Welcome! My wife still won't try a DE on her own, but loves it when I shave her legs with it. She gets a great shave, but is afraid if she does it she'll take off the skin as well.

My sister had a little shelf to sit on, in her shower. You might try a small stool or something to sit on if the size of your tub / shower allows it.

Holly, Welcome to B&B. I'd have to admit, it took my wife some time before I could talk her into a DE. She loves my results but like you, she was just a little gun shy.
I think the turning point was when she found out my mom uses my dad's so the chatted for some time.

Oh yes, she enjoyed it when I shaved her legs and is quoted as saying "it's the best I've ever had" but...

I ended up giving her one of the Lady Gillette Stars ( I have all for colors as I collect Gillette) and one of The Lady Gillette Gold Milady's, a brush and some Mama Bear Evening Mist soap for ladies....

Now she goes to town and blows out a shave in just under ten minutes. She says the shave is so clean that it lasts days longer than the old multi-bladed manglers she used before.

BTW, she found it best to sit in the tub and place her foot on the edge to reach the back of her legs.

Enjoy!!!

Give her my personal promise that it isn't as hard as you guys make it look. :001_smile

I hold it much like a cartridge razor *listening for the gasps* and just use smaller strokes. I think it might have scared me in the very begining (which was a while ago) but, I got over that quick enough.

Welcome! My wife still won't try a DE on her own, but loves it when I shave her legs with it. She gets a great shave, but is afraid if she does it she'll take off the skin as well.

Top Bottom