What's new

Using a ultrasonic cleaner?

My wife just bought a Haier Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner from Walmart and I want to use it to clean a couple of old razors I have. The instructions just say to use water. Is there anything else you can put in the water like dish soap, peroxide or other cleaners? What about Barbicide ?Does anyone on here use one of these for cleaning razors?

Last edited:
I work in a dental lab, and we use ultrasonic cleaners for everything. I've often taken my razors to work and cleaned them in one. I just use hot water and a little dish soap.

Last edited:
I also just use a couple of drops of dish soap. The Ultrasonic Cleaners really do a good job at cleaning the crevices on a razor.

Steve

Paul

How does that compare to the other ways people clean them?

Well, I'm not sure. I use various methods depending on the level of filth I encounter. Everything from tootbrush to wire brush. Once I get the outside free of junk the ultrasonic will loosen, if not remove, most of the gunk that collects inside of things. I also use a steam cleaner at work to remove polish residue and stuff loosened by the ultrasonic.

I also use dish soap and warm water. I really like mine, the only thing I didn't like is the fact it stripped some paint of my Mergress.

I also use dish soap and warm water. I really like mine, the only thing I didn't like is the fact it stripped some paint of my Mergress.

That is also a danger in using these cleaners with an adjustable razor. It can knock the black paint out of the numbers. Same problem can happen with a Red or Blue Tip SS.

Steve

We use a large (very large) ultrasonic cleaning tank for weapons cleaning. It uses a citrus based solvent (to dissolve carbon, lead etc.). I have set a metal bowl on top of it full of warm water to clean other things and it worked out great. I'd think that warm water (and perhaps a little dish soap) would be all that you'd need. Ultrasonics are great!

I have used one several times on razors. I used one after a very long cleaning with scrubbing bubbles and a tooth brush and was surprised at what still came out of that razor! When I poured the water out the water was nasty and the bottom of the plastic tub was coated in gunk.:eek:

I work in a dental lab, and we use ultrasonic cleaners for everything. I've often taken my razors to work and cleaned them in one. I just use hot water and a little dish soap.

I also just use a couple of drops of dish soap. The Ultrasonic Cleaners really do a good job at cleaning the crevices on a razor.

Steve

+1, a couple drops in mine is all I've ever used. The cleaner does the rest. Just don't leave your razors in for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Top Bottom