What's new

Gun Cleaner on a Straight

So I had this thought, I have a teeny tiny spot on my Dovo special. Not that big of a deal but I'm anal enough to want it gone. Read several threads here about cleaning spots off of carbon steel and have considered several options.

Thought about going the Flitz route, but the whole bit about it stripping off the gold wash bugs me, the other options would require me to make an online purchase and then I play the waiting game with Mr. Postman.

So it occurs to me that I have this gun cleaning kit from M-Pro 7, and I remember that this stuff is odorless, non-toxic, non-hazardous, biodegradable, non-flammable and environmentally safe. Loaded up a q-tip with the cleaner and went to town. Spot came right off, blade is gleaming with no apparent loss or alteration to the gold wash. wiped it down with the cleaner, lubricant, protectant oil and will wipe that off, rinse and strop before this mornings shave. Will keep you posted as to whether my flesh falls off. :biggrin:

On another note to any gun enthusiasts out there, if you haven't tried this stuff, it is AMAZING. After hundreds and hundreds of hours cleaning various firearms, I can honestly say this is by FAR the best (and fastest) gun cleaning system out there.

On another note to any gun enthusiasts out there, if you haven't tried this stuff, it is AMAZING. After hundreds and hundreds of hours cleaning various firearms, I can honestly say this is by FAR the best (and fastest) gun cleaning system out there.

But I'd miss the smell of Hoppe's No. 9!!

Good to hear that it removed your spot and preserved your finish.

But I'd miss the smell of Hoppe's No. 9!!

Good to hear that it removed your spot and preserved your finish.

Too true, however my SO has gone so far as to comment about the lack of chemical smell in the entire house now that I've retired my Hoppes and CLP.

On another note, the shave was fine, absolutely NO irritation and the razor cleaned up in a snap afterwards.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Sounds good - which of the M-Pro 7 potions did you use - they have a couple different products.

Interesting idea. I'm running low on CLR and now would be a good time to buy something that cleans my guns and blades.

http://www.mp7.com/Order.aspx
http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/brandlisting?brandid=1937
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com

I have a great range/gun store up the road where I get it. Just Google Mpro 7 I'm sure you'll find a ton of places.

I don't want to start a big gun cleaner for straights run, and I am in no way shape or form affiliated with the Mpro folks. But like I said, it worked on the tiny spots that bugged me, and as a protectant and the fact that it is environmentally friendly and non-toxic are a big plus. If however it doesn't work for you and you are a firearms owner you will still be ridiculously surprised at its efficacy in cleaning carbon and fouling from a firearm.

They also ship a ton of this stuff to the middle east to lessen the cleaning load for our troops so that is also a HUGE plus for me.

A buddy of mine just got out of the Army Marksmanship Unit (competition marksmen and marksmanship instructors) and he is a big fan of the M Pro 7. I haven't used it, but I will try anything this guy recommends for guns or shooting.

I've got nothing to say about its efficacy on straights.:001_huh:
J.

Thanks for the links NFlames.
I have read suggestions for using the Tuf cloth by Sentry solutions, anyone tried this for protecting straights?

Top Bottom