What's new

Newbie Introduction

Hello, obviously I am new here and to this art. I've been a faithful user user of the M3 since I was a teenager. However, I have used a brush and soap for 6 or 7 years. Unfortunately, it is a boar brush I got at Walmart. As a security officer at a fairly big hospital, I am required to be clean shaven. I used to shave onle a couple times a week. Six years later, my face still can't take daily shaving and it never feels smooth. Recently, I had a particularly bad razor burn that didn't go away. The doctor gave me antibiotics and a note saying I'm not allowed to shave. The other officers are very jealous. Anyway, that is how I stumbled upon this site. I was researching so that this didn't happen again. I had never heard of pre=shave before and used stetson aftershave. I have a learned a lot this two weeks. I think I will be able to shave again this week. I am trying to get a DE before I do. From what I have read, it appears the Merkur HD is my only viable option. I hope it works out and I never have to resort to my M3 again. So that is my uninteresting story. I look forward to talking to many of you and appreciate any advice offered. I have learned so much already. Who knew there was so much to know about something my dad spent ten minutes teaching me.

Welcome to the B & B. I think you will find wet shaving to be much less irritating than your M3 once you get your technique down. I love my Merkur HD but it is far from your only option. In my opinion, the learning curve is shorter with a vintage Gillette Superspeed. You can usually find one in very good condition for around $20 in the B/S/T forum. If there isn't one currently for sale, you can post a WTB and the PMs will start filling your in box.

Welcome to B&B! A Merkur is NOT your only option! Just post a thread on the B/S/T forum that you want to buy a good newbie's DE.

You'll get about 3-4 hits within a day! This is how I got my first DEs. I bought two Gillette SS within a couple of days of posting.

Also, dont expect perfect shaves off the bat. If anything, you'll have a rough start at it, but it gets better over time.

Just remember...gentle touch! Its not an M3 which you have to mash against your face. If you do that with a DE, you'll pull off skin like you're cutting slices of cheese :)

I was kidding about the HD being my only option. It does seem to thr\e most recommended for newbies. I appreciate the advice about posting WTB. Being new, I didn't realize how to buy here. I clicked the icon "shop" at the top and didn't get very far. I am going to take your advice now.

Welcome Blackfoot, one of the things that wet shavers need to be conscious of is being as sanitary as possible. My doctor told me not to rinse my razor in the wash basin as I shave, instead to simply rinse my razor by holding it under the falcet (I don't let the water run continuously, I ususally give the spigot handle a quick turn). The reason is that the bathroom wash basin is one of the most germ filled places in the house.

He also said to dry your face with a clean towel every day and to soak you razor in alcohol while you shower.

This may sound over the top for most people, but I had a problem of constant skin irritation, red cyst like bumps, and razor burn, howerver since I started doing this, my trouble has eased up consideralby.

Welcome to B&B! The HD will give you a great shave, but it will take some adjustment in technique. Give yourself some time and you will be amazed at how great your shaves can be. If you ever have any questions, just ask as there are lots of great people with helpful info here.

welcome!!! I recently started wetshaving (3 months ago) and the Merkur HD was a great start for me. It helped me by the weight of it allowing the razor to do the work and allows you to observe the angle a little better. Good luck, and be sure to give it a little time to start working well for you :001_smile

Welcome and good luck. As posted already here, don't expect perfect from day one, however things will improve as you get used to using the new gear. And we are all here to offer advice and help you along the way!

I hope it works out and I never have to resort to my M3 again. (...) Who knew there was so much to know about something my dad spent ten minutes teaching me.

Hi blackfoot!

We are glad you joined us.

It WILL work out for you b/c everyone here will go out of their way to help you out. And it is really sad that in most cases our fathers knew so little about proper shaving...

You will soon look much better than your coworkers. Now, imagine how much more jealous they will be! :smile:

My doctor told me not to rinse my razor in the wash basin as I shave (...) The reason is that the bathroom wash basin is one of the most germ filled places in the house.

He also said to dry your face with a clean towel every day and to soak you razor in alcohol while you shower.
That's a great piece of advice for everyone!

Welcome! You'll be very happy with the decision to go for a DE.

Single malt or blended?

Last edited:
Welcome Blackfoot, your shaves will get better day by day. Chris is right when he says to post any questions here. Everyone's willing to help. Enjoy my friend!

Top Bottom