What's new

Support the Armed Forces

I just got back from a send off party for a family member going to Iraq. He made a speech and made the point that even though he didn't want to go, it's the support from family, friends, and total strangers for the troops that give them the ability to stay alive.

Irrespective of our personal views on the war effort, I hope there is little room for wavering in our collective support for our troops.

And yes, you can support the troops without supporting the war! :a41:

Several forums ago, I started, and sure it was one of many before I came along, a "thank you" to our military. I even gave a "thanks" to our allies. If it wasn't for our military, this would not be the best country on earth.

Sooooo, to our men and women in the military, "THANK YOU".:thumbup:

Last edited:
Yes, a whole hearted Thank You to the fine members of the US Armed Forces who daily risk their lives so we may enjoy our freedoms.

For the past 28 years I've had the privilege to serve alongside some of the best and brightest that America has to offer. Many of these young ladies and men, enlisted because of 9/11/01 but even more have enlisted since 03. They knew that they were volunteering to not just serve their nation and her people but that very likely they would serve in combat in either Afghanistan or Iraq. These young people are much like you were at the tender age of 20; slightly immature, insecure, and very much looking for acceptance and approval. I firmly believe that a large part of their ability to cope with the stresses of serving in a combat zone, thousands of miles from their families, is the perceived support they receive from family, friends and sometimes total strangers.

So in those moment that I'm on my knees, I humbly give thanks that America continues to produce young ladies and gentlemen who are willing to serve and sacrifice. I give thanks that citizens can see past their political differences and thus give thanks for the support they show. It makes a difference and on behalf on many a young soldier, I thank you.

For the past 28 years I've had the privilege to serve alongside some of the best and brightest that America has to offer. Many of these young ladies and men, enlisted because of 9/11/01 but even more have enlisted since 03. They knew that they were volunteering to not just serve their nation and her people but that very likely they would serve in combat in either Afghanistan or Iraq. These young people are much like you were at the tender age of 20; slightly immature, insecure, and very much looking for acceptance and approval. I firmly believe that a large part of their ability to cope with the stresses of serving in a combat zone, thousands of miles from their families, is the perceived support they receive from family, friends and sometimes total strangers.

So in those moment that I'm on my knees, I humbly give thanks that America continues to produce young ladies and gentlemen who are willing to serve and sacrifice. I give thanks that citizens can see past their political differences and thus give thanks for the support they show. It makes a difference and on behalf on many a young soldier, I thank you.

Well said, Sir!

Our country is blessed by having those who are willing to volunteer for duty. Thank you for your service. You are greatly appreciated

I just got back from a send off party for a family member going to Iraq. He made a speech and made the point that even though he didn't want to go, it's the support from family, friends, and total strangers for the troops that give them the ability to stay alive.

Irrespective of our personal views on the war effort, I hope there is little room for wavering in our collective support for our troops.

If I may add to your title:

Support for the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines!

It's not only the Army that fights these wars and often Sailors, Airmen and Marines feel as though the generalization Soldiers fails to recognize their efforts and contributions as well. I know many Airmen who have been awarded the Bronze Star for combat actions and while they are proud of what they've done for their country they are equally as proud that they are Airmen.

For anyone who wants to support the troops check this out.

Excellent thread, my friend. I tip my hat to you for starting this.

If I may add to your title:

Support for the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines!

It's not only the Army that fights these wars and often Sailors, Airmen and Marines feel as though the generalization Soldiers fails to recognize their efforts and contributions as well. I know many Airmen who have been awarded the Bronze Star for combat actions and while they are proud of what they've done for their country they are equally as proud that they are Airmen.

For anyone who wants to support the troops check this out.

Excellent thread, my friend. I tip my hat to you for starting this.

You're right that the title should be corrected. My brother is a Warrant Officer in the Army, and my cousin (the subject of this post) is also Army. I guess since I am so close to that, I was short-sighted in my thinking... My dad was a Sailor, and he is so torn up about his time in Vietnam that he can't watch documentaries, movies, or talk about the war experience. I certainly didn't mean to fail to recognize the service of our Sailors, Airmen, and Marines.

I know that you recognize that, but it needed to be said.

Thanks for the acknowledgment, I hope I didn't offend you either. I wasn't implying that you forgot the others merely that there is a habit (especially in the media) to characterize everyone as Soldiers. To some degree it makes sense, the Army is the largest branch of service by far.

Thanks again for starting this thread! :thumbup:

Thanks for the acknowledgment, I hope I didn't offend you either. I wasn't implying that you forgot the others merely that there is a habit (especially in the media) to characterize everyone as Soldiers. To some degree it makes sense, the Army is the largest branch of service by far.

Thanks again for starting this thread! :thumbup:

No worries Bro!

That's exactly right. I believe the Iraq invasion was a mistake, but my nephew was over there several times, so I obviously think the distinction you've drawn is critically important. Fortunately, I sense that most people get that now, as opposed to what I understand happened in the Viet Nam era.

I don't think appreciative people that post the term "soldiers" know that by title, they're not including Marines, sailors, and airmen in their thanks. As a Marine, we know that when family members, friends, forums, etc (sometimes even media) use the word "Soldiers" , they don't always necessarily mean the U.S. Army. Because of that fact, we don't take any offense by the term.

I agree 100%. Those not tied to the military have to remember that we "follow the orders of the officers appointed over us". We do what the Congress and the President order. Always support the troops!

Top Bottom