What's new

Help Identifying a Gillette Razor

I need a little help from the experts in identifying a Gillette DE. I've searched the posts and read what I could find. It seems that the more I read, the more confused I became.

The date code is Z-1 as in the picture below. I grabbed this picture from another thread, but the Z and the 1 are in the same places.

Here is what I've gathered from the posts. Please correct anything that is wrong.

This is a 1954 Super Speed from the 1st quarter (based on the 1).

This is not a TV Special because those are Z-3 and Z-4.

The Z-1 may be the final production of the 1940's Super Speeds, but not always. There are different Z-1's and there is no way to tell if it is the 1940's or not.

Do I have any of this right?

Is there a way to tell if this Z-1 is the final production of the 1940's?

If that is what I have, then can I delete 1940's Super Speed from my wish list?

Thank you so much for your help

Thank you for the info.

So, since I have the non-flare tip, what I have is a 1940's Super Speed that was made in 1954. Is this correct?

Am I the only one that finds this confusing?

Just so I know what I still need to add to my collection, is there any difference between this razor and any other notched 1940's Super Speed?

Thank you,

No, it's not a 1940's superspeed, it's just a 1940's superspeed style. I think that's right. Now, that particular 1954 is the rarer one. Hang on to that '54. The Z3's and Z4's are more common.

You need someone like AsylumGuido on this to be sure, though. He's a Gillette-genius.

No, it's not a 1940's superspeed, it's just a 1940's superspeed style. I think that's right. Now, that particular 1954 is the rarer one. Hang on to that '54. The Z3's and Z4's are more common.

You need someone like AsylumGuido on this to be sure, though. He's a Gillette-genius.

Thank you very much Sir. I have so much to learn!

Thank you very much Sir. I have so much to learn!

Yes. It's a 1940's style SS. Asylum Guido told me that once in this thread that it might be the last regular production run of the 40's style Super Speed. I have a razor just like it that used to belong to my grandfather.

EDIT: The pertinent part of the discussion runs between post #4 and 14 inclusive.

Last edited:
Yes. It's a 1940's style SS. Asylum Guido told me that once. I have a razor just like it that used to belong to my grandfather.

You Gentlemen totally Rock!

How do you like that razor?

Is there any functional (weight, size, etc.) difference between this razor and a 1940's SS?

The Z series 1954 SS is less common than the earlier 40's style SS. I will not say however, that one quarter is more rare than another as more and more of each are showing up these days for some reason.

It's a great find and an awesome shaver...Enjoy it!!!

I'd like to thank everyone who replied to this post. I appreciate the comments.

I've had 3 shaves so far with this razor and it is absolutely sweet. It is so smooth; "like butter". I think it passed my Merkur 38C (BP) for best shave.

I get one more shave before rotating. I usually use a razor for 4 shaves, then toss the blade and switch razors. I will really look forward to using this one again. However, I keep acquiring razors (serious, serious RAD) so it will be a while before I come back to it.

Current stock in addition to this 1954 SS Z-1:

Merkur 38C Barber Pole
Merkur 42 1904 (or 1906) classic
1972 SS (R-1)
Merkur 34C HD (new, arrived today)
WWII Military Tech (arrived today)

I also have a Red Tip on its way and am looking at a couple more Gillettes, deal pending.

I have more razors than I need, but not as many razors as I want.

So many razors, so little time (and money).

Top Bottom