What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

Vintage Gruen Precision today.

Attachments

• $Gruen.jpg
    $Gruen.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 181
Very Nice Score. In my opinion, one of the most attractive watches available at any price. I've had my eye on the 177s for quite some time but they have become difficult to find. Might be discontinued. Anyway, for Fathers Day my wife ordered me the Sea-Gul 816.362 which has all of the features I'm looking for in a dress watch with the lowest price. Similar to the appearance of the 177s but without numerals. My first Chinese watch.

Chinese Sea-Gull M177S. This watch has to be one of the bargains of the century, at $123 shipped. Sea-Gull auto movement that hand winds and hacks. Gorgeous silver "sunburst" dial that my lousy camera phone can't capture adequately. Keeping great, accurate time thus far. I love the combination of brushed/polisghed case. Beautiful packaging as well. It's a REALLY poor man's JLC Master Date. :wink2:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here are some better pics from the seller:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Very Nice Score. In my opinion, one of the most attractive watches available at any price. I've had my eye on the 177s for quite some time but they have become difficult to find. Might be discontinued. Anyway, for Fathers Day my wife ordered me the Sea-Gul 816.362 which has all of the features I'm looking for in a dress watch with the lowest price. Similar to the appearance of the 177s but without numerals. My first Chinese watch.

Congrats on your Sea-Gull, enjoy it! It's a beautiful watch, though I think it's about $100 more than mine, for some strange reason. The M177S is available on the famous auction site from seller trusthonestman. He lists them one at a time, every couple of weeks. It's always a "buy it now" at $123 delivered.

Congrats on your Sea-Gull, enjoy it! It's a beautiful watch, though I think it's about $100 more than mine, for some strange reason. The M177S is available on the famous auction site from seller trusthonestman. He lists them one at a time, every couple of weeks. It's always a "buy it now" at $123 delivered.

The 816.362 costs more because it has the higher beat rate ST2130 movement and it has a sapphire crystal. I like those features but I like the appearance of your M177s better. There is also a 819.351 on the Sea-gullUSA site that looks more like th M177s, comes with the ST2130 movement and sapphire crystal but costs $300.

The 816.362 costs more because it has the higher beat rate ST2130 movement and it has a sapphire crystal. I like those features but I like the appearance of your M177s better. There is also a 819.351 on the Sea-gullUSA site that looks more like th M177s, comes with the ST2130 movement and sapphire crystal but costs $300.

I think I was thinking of the one on the USA web site that just didn't seem worth the extra cost to me. The non-sapphire doesn't bother me (hell, even the Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch came with a plastic crystal), especially at that price. I could always purchase and install a sapphire I suppose, but why bother?

I think I was thinking of the one on the USA web site that just didn't seem worth the extra cost to me. The non-sapphire doesn't bother me (hell, even the Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch came with a plastic crystal), especially at that price. I could always purchase and install a sapphire I suppose, but why bother?

My first mechanical watch had a mineral crystal and I had it visibly scratched within 30 days. (I continue to frequently bang my watch around.) I replaced the crystal with a sapphire and it has solved that problem. Parts and labor about $75. So for this latest purchase I was specifically looking at watches that came stock with sapphire.

My first mechanical watch had a mineral crystal and I had it visibly scratched within 30 days. (I continue to frequently bang my watch around.) I replaced the crystal with a sapphire and it has solved that problem. Parts and labor about $75. So for this latest purchase I was specifically looking at watches that came stock with sapphire.

Sapphire can​ scratch, if you abuse it enough, but it is pretty hard to do. The difference is that you can polish scratches out of a plastic crystal, whereas you can't with sapphire.

I see that a lot of the vintage Omegas for sale are fitted with acrylic crystals. Is that what they came with originally?

Yes..Plexi is pretty near impossible to break,but you can scratch it with a Kleenex. Mineral crystals break easy and harder to scratch . Sapphire is harder to scratch but it will shatter. In the old days all the tool watches used Plexi...Even ROLEX. I've heard of a new substance called Gorilla Glass...I think it will be used in the future on fine watches.

Last edited:
Yes..Plexi is pretty near impossible to break,but you can scratch it with a Kleenex. Mineral crystals break easy and harder to scratch . Sapphire is harder to scratch but it will shatter. In the old days all the tool watches used Plexi...Even ROLEX. I've heard of a new substance called Gorilla Glass...I think it will be used in the future on fine watches.

Gorilla glass is great, unless when put under pressure from the sides, at that point it cracks like nobody's business.

Top Bottom