What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

Beautiful piece. I think the Gemini is my favorite of all the special editions. I go back and for on the Darkside/gray side watches. On the one hand, they are totally stunning...on the other I think Omega went overboard on the price point for a watch that truly diverges from the original in almost everyday but the name...yet, they appear to be catering to purists with the materials, name choices etc.

Yes, I agree most recently, other than the Apollo Mission Watches, which a full set will run you North of $100,000 or more now, Some of us Moon watch purists preferred to keep the classic lines, shape, movement etc. I just could not pass on this one since it was so unique, unlike the others that just replaced a chrono dial with a mission patch. don't get me wrong I would love to own the mission watches, as I also collect, Nasa flown items, moon landed items, and patches but recently the "Moon Watch" has variants including the Co-axial movement, as well as different face options such as the dark side, and now the platinum "Grey of the Moon" face. however that being said the 50th version, they hit out of the park, as it keeps the beauty of the original with very subtle uniqueness and is on my short list to acquire. ( shaving AD got in the way:lol:). I find myself wearing my Original Moon watch more often that probably any other watch except my Ball Hydrocarbon. I bought it Originally with the Leather band, but soon purchased the Rhodium band as I am really hard on bands. I would say overall the Speedmasters are my favorite watch is general over everything I own, It is just plain Classic.
$Orig Speedy.jpg

One of the first pieces Herr Spinner built, UTS Watches 500 meter right out of a German one man watch operation. Herr Spinner builds amazing German dive watches, think the newest is like a 4000 meter, 500 has long been retired by UTS but you can still find one on watchuseek if you get lucky .. Comes on a great bracelet and a very nice Italian rubber strap in the kit too...

Amazing piece, Omega hit a homerun with this watch. Classic and timeless....
Yes, I agree most recently, other than the Apollo Mission Watches, which a full set will run you North of $100,000 or more now, Some of us Moon watch purists preferred to keep the classic lines, shape, movement etc. I just could not pass on this one since it was so unique, unlike the others that just replaced a chrono dial with a mission patch. don't get me wrong I would love to own the mission watches, as I also collect, Nasa flown items, moon landed items, and patches but recently the "Moon Watch" has variants including the Co-axial movement, as well as different face options such as the dark side, and now the platinum "Grey of the Moon" face. however that being said the 50th version, they hit out of the park, as it keeps the beauty of the original with very subtle uniqueness and is on my short list to acquire. ( shaving AD got in the way:lol:). I find myself wearing my Original Moon watch more often that probably any other watch except my Ball Hydrocarbon. I bought it Originally with the Leather band, but soon purchased the Rhodium band as I am really hard on bands. I would say overall the Speedmasters are my favorite watch is general over everything I own, It is just plain Classic.
View attachment 544373

As I understand it, they were all Speedmasters when the line began in about 1957. After NASA had astronauts wearing them during the Gemini program the "Professional" moniker was attached to the model name. Later, beginning in about 1970 some different case styles, using different movements began to be churned out by Omega playing off of the Speedmaster name. Some were automatic, some had date, even moon phase features. The basic Speedmaster Professional continued to carry on the "Moon Watch" tradition.

Again, as I understand it, that 50th anniversary model seen above is the same as a Speedmaster that has "Professional" tacked onto it. The anniversary model is a limited edition with the special neato dial.

Is there a difference between the Speedmaster and Speedmaster Professional?

I would also add some technical details (as best I know them- others can likely elaborate much more depending on how far down you want to go). In short (and excluding some limited edition runs), the Speedmaster Pro is a manual wind, traditionally has the hesalite (although saphire is an option with a different ref #), most commonly offered with a black dial and black tach bezel and is 42 mm in size. The regular speedmaster is an automatic movement, has crystal options both was, a variety of dial and bezel colors, but is smaller at 38/39mm.

Both lines are great watches. The standard Speedmaster Pro (manual wind/hesalite crystal) is what you usually hear called the "Moonwatch."

Last edited:
I would also add some technical details (as best I know them- others can likely elaborate much more depending on how far down you want to go). In short (and excluding some limited edition runs), the Speedmaster Pro is a manual wind, traditionally has the hesalite (although saphire is an option with a different ref #), most commonly offered with a black dial and black tach bezel and is 42 mm in size. The regular speedmaster is an automatic movement, has crystal options both was, a variety of dial and bezel colors, but is smaller at 38/39mm.

Both are lines are great watches. The standard Speedmaster Pro (manual wind/hesalite crystal) is what you usually hear called the "Moonwatch."

Yep Perfectly Said!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks everyone for the Omega info. It will help in a few years- once the house is paid off I am getting one. I love anything Apollo- even Tang (I know, it really didn't make the trip :biggrin: )

Its always great to see watches from micro-Companies. Nice watch, thanks for sharing.

One of the first pieces Herr Spinner built, UTS Watches 500 meter right out of a German one man watch operation. Herr Spinner builds amazing German dive watches, think the newest is like a 4000 meter, 500 has long been retired by UTS but you can still find one on watchuseek if you get lucky .. Comes on a great bracelet and a very nice Italian rubber strap in the kit too...

Love the Bond SeaMaster:thumbup: I've got one too! Today it's my U-series (1st series to use luminova and not tritium lume on the dial) 16613 birthday, well i bought it on 1-30-99:blushing: so its on the wrist...

I don't post here very often ... so, you'll have to suffer through a recent sampling....
$16053176889_172d2bf930_z.jpg

$16166417992_4661ca4f02_z.jpg

apologies if any of these are repost. consider it a senior moment on my part.

$15533028353_f74f08571e_z.jpg

$15933835399_26b844cca2_b.jpg

Top Bottom