What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

$001.jpgXEZO today

After looking for months, I found my black, solar powered Casio G Shock. It is my favorite watch for traveling. It is water proof, rugged, doesn't need batteries and doesn't cost so much that I have to worry about it being appropriated by the hotel staff.

Tasteful and distinctive. What movement does he use for this watch?
He uses the new Seiko 4R36 automatic movement, which has hand winding and hacking capability. Same movement used in Seiko's new SRP divers (like the new Monster).

KIP...Where do you get those Russian watches? Go to the WATCH SNOB...He wrote something, this week, you should read.
MARTIN BRAUN Grande Chrono..

Attachments

• $016.jpg
    $016.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 293
Go to the WATCH SNOB...He wrote something, this week

LittleBigFeather, thanks for the link and interest. I see this guy is very biased against Russian watches. But my research and own experience shows these vintage watches are accurate and durable, as well as having some cool retro designs. In fact, one section at PMWF, Poor Man's Watch Forum, is dedicated to nothing but Russian watches. Keep in mind that the watch designs during the Soviet era were copied from the Swiss makers and beefed up so they could be mass produced.
Do I like every vintage Russian watch? No. I prefer the Soviet-era Komandirskies, which means "commander" in Russian. Anti-magnetic, screw down crown (waterproof to 50 M or more), always jeweled movements (usually 17-21), beefy case, and affordable to the masses. The 2414 and 2609 movements are rugged and precise. That Watch Snob even admits the workers had to make good watches...or else.
The newer Vostok-Europe ones are tempting and there's a Youtube vid on how those are made. Fascinating.
I plan on buying a nice one from Zenitar on the bay someday.

Last edited:
Go to the WATCH SNOB...He wrote something, this week

LittleFeather, thanks for the link and interest. I see this guy is very biased against Russian watches. But my research and own experience shows these vintage watches are accurate and durable, as well as having some cool retro designs. In fact, one section at PMWF, Poor Man's Watch Forum, is dedicated to nothing but Russian watches. Keep in mind that the watch designs during the Soviet era were copied from the Swiss makers and beefed up so they could be mass produced.
Do I like every vintage Russian watch? No. I prefer the Soviet-era Komandirskies, which means "commander" in Russian. Anti-magnetic, screw down crown (waterproof to 50 M or more), always jeweled movements, beefy case, and affordable to the masses. The 2414 and 2609 movements are rugged and precise. That Watch Snob even admits the workers had to make good watches...or else.
The newer Vostok-Europe ones are tempting and there's a Youtube vid on how those are made. Fascinating.
I plan on buying a nice one from Zenitar on the bay someday.

They don't call him the WATCH SNOB for nothin'.........I'm not a fan of the INVICTA Russian divers. If it's over 42mm it's too big
on me....40mm is just right. What size is the KATZ you wore on the 2nd?

TWhat size is the KATZ you wore on the 2nd?
I measured it for you. It looks like 39 mm excluding crown. It's a true vintage Vostok with the Komandirskie bezel. Those Invicta Russian divers are totally different and made in China, like most Invictas.

Soviet era Komandirskie "tank" today, NATO strap, 17 jewels. "B" is for Boctok, which is Vostok, mostly seen on Soviet era.

Attachments

• $komandirskie tank cccp.jpg
    $komandirskie tank cccp.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Top Bottom