What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

At that point though I'd be more concerned about my wrist breaking then the glass breaking.

I've seen Gorilla glass break like nobody's business, and it cracks far more readily than any of the watches I've had, and they have all seen rough treatment, to put it mildly.

Today, a 1940s Zenith 18K rose gold, with silver dial. Actually wears large, at 37mm.

proxy.php

Nice Zenith. I find it odd there aren't a lot of 'clean design' watches made now. All too often companies have to ruin a good design with a day and date, or chrono. One of my dream watches would be an automatic 100WR (minimum) plain face without a date which would just be a set and forget.

Nice Zenith. I find it odd there aren't a lot of 'clean design' watches made now. All too often companies have to ruin a good design with a day and date, or chrono. One of my dream watches would be an automatic 100WR (minimum) plain face without a date which would just be a set and forget.

Lot's out there. ROLEX SUB. Non-date, for one.

Just received this one. It's a 1927 Omega pocket watch conversion to a wristwatch. Skeletonized, with the original silver case. It's a big watch (47mm w/o crown), but I have a large wrist, so it doesn't look Flav-a-Flav-ish on me. :wink2: First pic is a wrist shot by me (complete with annoying reflections), then some much better shots.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Just received this one. It's a 1927 Omega pocket watch conversion to a wristwatch. Skeletonized, with the original silver case. It's a big watch (47mm w/o crown), but I have a large wrist, so it doesn't look Flav-a-Flav-ish on me. :wink2: First pic is a wrist shot by me (complete with annoying reflections), then some much better shots.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Fantastic!

Allen and Anthony -- thanks for the kind words. I normally stay away from skeleton dials simply because it's hard to read the time! But I couldn't resist this one. I have another Omega skeleton watch due to arrive any day now, and I'll post photos of that one as well.

Andy

Yesterday I mentioned that I was awaiting the arrival of a second skeletonized Omega pocket/wristwatch conversion. It was in today's mail, so here are some photos. Again, the first shot is a wrist shot taken from my poor camera phone. The rest are much better shots and close-ups. This one is much "newer", from 1948, and it does not have its original case. The case is a modern carved case that compliments the watch.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sinn 142StS (black PVD, internal 0-60 ring, Lemania 5100 movement) :)

It's the one on the far left here:

$LemaniaFive_sm.jpg

Last edited:
DGS again I am envious - would sure like to know how to get something like that

here is what I'm wearing today...certainly not the same caliber skeleton as DGS, again - awesome

$IMG126-1.jpg

DGS again I am envious - would sure like to know how to get something like that

here is what I'm wearing today...certainly not the same caliber skeleton as DGS, again - awesome

View attachment 252311

Anthony, I find that most "skeleton" watches one finds these days are really just ordinary watches with the dial removed. You can see the movement, but the movement itself is not usually cut out. You should be able to see through the watch in a true skeleton movement. There are some modern exceptions that are true skeletons, like the Chronoswiss Opus or some of the Vacheron models. However, there are scores of others (like the Chinese Stuhrlings, Stauer, Invictas, and others sold on ShopNBC and the like) that are simply dial-less models. There are several sellers on eBay that sell the converted pocket watches, some skeletonized, some not. Most are from the former Soviet Union, particularly in Ukraine. Check out these sellers: wandolec, vladymyrvega, originaldeal2009, keeperofcoins, abv1224, and ussr-watch. Wandolc also has a web site, but I find that the prices he wants on that site are way out of my league (then again, he tends to feature high-end watches on the web site, as opposed to the eBay auctions. Stuff like Patek Phillippe, Vacheron, Audemars, etc.). One thing to be aware of: many of the non-skeleton watches from these eBay sellers do not have the original dial. Instead, the seller has fitted a new, custom made dial. They usually disclose this in the listing, but you need to be careful. I have a Zenith pocket/wrist conversion and another one by Omega, and both have the original dials. You need to ask the seller detailed questions to satisfy yourself about what you are potentially getting. Cheers, Andy.

Last edited:
Anthony, I find that most "skeleton" watches one finds these days are really just ordinary watches with the dial removed. You can see the movement, but the movement itself is not usually cut out. You should be able to see through the watch in a true skeleton movement. There are some modern exceptions that are true skeletons, like the Chronoswiss Opus or some of the Vacheron models. However, there are scores of others (like the Chinese Stuhrlings, Stauer, Invictas, and others sold on ShopNBC and the like) that are simply dial-less models. There are several sellers on eBay that sell the converted pocket watches, some skeletonized, some not. Most are from the former Soviet Union, particularly in Ukraine. Check out these sellers: wandolec, vladymyrvega, originaldeal2009, keeperofcoins, abv1224, and ussr-watch. Wandolc also has a web site, but I find that the prices he wants on that site are way out of my league (then again, he tends to feature high-end watches on the web site, as opposed to the eBay auctions. Stuff like Patek Phillippe, Vacheron, Audemars, etc.). One thing to be aware of: many of the non-skeleton watches from these eBay sellers do not have the original dial. Instead, the seller has fitted a new, custom made dial. They usually disclose this in the listing, but you need to be careful. I have a Zenith pocket/wrist conversion and another one by Omega, and both have the original dials. You need to ask the seller detailed questions to satisfy yourself about what you are potentially getting. Cheers, Andy.
Last edited by DGS; Today at 09:12 AM.​
Andy

thanks, I appreciate the help, I would not have thought the original dial to so important - I am not able to devote a lot of money to new watches but it doesn't hurt to look, right?

upgrading to a fine skeleton may be a little tough but it seems like you hit a home run with the last 2 pocket watch conversions you displayed

Top Bottom