Page 306 of 440 FirstFirst ... 206 256 296304305306307308 316 356 406 ... LastLast
Results 6,101 to 6,120 of 8787

Thread: Watch Ya Wearing

Quote Originally Posted by razumny View Post
    Gorilla glass is great, unless when put under pressure from the sides, at that point it cracks like nobody's business.
    At that point though I'd be more concerned about my wrist breaking then the glass breaking.
    Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pebcak View Post
    At that point though I'd be more concerned about my wrist breaking then the glass breaking.
    I've seen Gorilla glass break like nobody's business, and it cracks far more readily than any of the watches I've had, and they have all seen rough treatment, to put it mildly.
    Aleksander R. Nordgarden Rødner
    Participant in the Summer of Gentlemanly Restraint 2012.
    Proud member of the League of Extraordinary Enablers

Today, a 1940s Zenith 18K rose gold, with silver dial. Actually wears large, at 37mm.

Andy

Nice Zenith. I find it odd there aren't a lot of 'clean design' watches made now. All too often companies have to ruin a good design with a day and date, or chrono. One of my dream watches would be an automatic 100WR (minimum) plain face without a date which would just be a set and forget.
    Cheers, Paul. [I like cats but don't think I could finish a whole one.]

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Typewriter View Post
    Nice Zenith. I find it odd there aren't a lot of 'clean design' watches made now. All too often companies have to ruin a good design with a day and date, or chrono. One of my dream watches would be an automatic 100WR (minimum) plain face without a date which would just be a set and forget.
    Lot's out there. ROLEX SUB. Non-date, for one.

Just received this one. It's a 1927 Omega pocket watch conversion to a wristwatch. Skeletonized, with the original silver case. It's a big watch (47mm w/o crown), but I have a large wrist, so it doesn't look Flav-a-Flav-ish on me. First pic is a wrist shot by me (complete with annoying reflections), then some much better shots.

Andy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DGS View Post
    Just received this one. It's a 1927 Omega pocket watch conversion to a wristwatch. Skeletonized, with the original silver case. It's a big watch (47mm w/o crown), but I have a large wrist, so it doesn't look Flav-a-Flav-ish on me. First pic is a wrist shot by me (complete with annoying reflections), then some much better shots.

Fantastic!
    -Rich-

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference." Robert Frost

I normally have a substantial dislike for skeletonized faces. That's beautiful. Stunning really.

DGS that Omega skeleton is an impressive piece - wish I could get something like that, I love it
    Anthony

Allen and Anthony -- thanks for the kind words. I normally stay away from skeleton dials simply because it's hard to read the time! But I couldn't resist this one. I have another Omega skeleton watch due to arrive any day now, and I'll post photos of that one as well.

Andy
    Andy

Images

Today was my 1989 Seiko 5. I haven't worn it in a while and it deserved some wrist time.
    It is just soap, hot water and a sharp blade. It isn't rocket science or a Zen ritual.

12. Default

DGS.....That's some watch!!

Yesterday I mentioned that I was awaiting the arrival of a second skeletonized Omega pocket/wristwatch conversion. It was in today's mail, so here are some photos. Again, the first shot is a wrist shot taken from my poor camera phone. The rest are much better shots and close-ups. This one is much "newer", from 1948, and it does not have its original case. The case is a modern carved case that compliments the watch.

Andy

Images

Today I am wearing my Orient Orange Mako.
    It is just soap, hot water and a sharp blade. It isn't rocket science or a Zen ritual.

Sinn 142StS (black PVD, internal 0-60 ring, Lemania 5100 movement) :)

It's the one on the far left here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LemaniaFive_sm.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	252237
    Last edited by bald1; 06-20-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    Bob

DGS again I am envious - would sure like to know how to get something like that

here is what I'm wearing today...certainly not the same caliber skeleton as DGS, again - awesome

Name:	IMG126-1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	252311
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by AJC View Post
    DGS again I am envious - would sure like to know how to get something like that

here is what I'm wearing today...certainly not the same caliber skeleton as DGS, again - awesome

Name:	IMG126-1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	252311
    Anthony, I find that most "skeleton" watches one finds these days are really just ordinary watches with the dial removed. You can see the movement, but the movement itself is not usually cut out. You should be able to see through the watch in a true skeleton movement. There are some modern exceptions that are true skeletons, like the Chronoswiss Opus or some of the Vacheron models. However, there are scores of others (like the Chinese Stuhrlings, Stauer, Invictas, and others sold on ShopNBC and the like) that are simply dial-less models. There are several sellers on eBay that sell the converted pocket watches, some skeletonized, some not. Most are from the former Soviet Union, particularly in Ukraine. Check out these sellers: wandolec, vladymyrvega, originaldeal2009, keeperofcoins, abv1224, and ussr-watch. Wandolc also has a web site, but I find that the prices he wants on that site are way out of my league (then again, he tends to feature high-end watches on the web site, as opposed to the eBay auctions. Stuff like Patek Phillippe, Vacheron, Audemars, etc.). One thing to be aware of: many of the non-skeleton watches from these eBay sellers do not have the original dial. Instead, the seller has fitted a new, custom made dial. They usually disclose this in the listing, but you need to be careful. I have a Zenith pocket/wrist conversion and another one by Omega, and both have the original dials. You need to ask the seller detailed questions to satisfy yourself about what you are potentially getting. Cheers, Andy.
    Last edited by DGS; 06-21-2012 at 06:12 AM.
    Andy

Images

On my wrist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails timex.jpg  

19. Default

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	252370

Anthony, I find that most "skeleton" watches one finds these days are really just ordinary watches with the dial removed. You can see the movement, but the movement itself is not usually cut out. You should be able to see through the watch in a true skeleton movement. There are some modern exceptions that are true skeletons, like the Chronoswiss Opus or some of the Vacheron models. However, there are scores of others (like the Chinese Stuhrlings, Stauer, Invictas, and others sold on ShopNBC and the like) that are simply dial-less models. There are several sellers on eBay that sell the converted pocket watches, some skeletonized, some not. Most are from the former Soviet Union, particularly in Ukraine. Check out these sellers: wandolec, vladymyrvega, originaldeal2009, keeperofcoins, abv1224, and ussr-watch. Wandolc also has a web site, but I find that the prices he wants on that site are way out of my league (then again, he tends to feature high-end watches on the web site, as opposed to the eBay auctions. Stuff like Patek Phillippe, Vacheron, Audemars, etc.). One thing to be aware of: many of the non-skeleton watches from these eBay sellers do not have the original dial. Instead, the seller has fitted a new, custom made dial. They usually disclose this in the listing, but you need to be careful. I have a Zenith pocket/wrist conversion and another one by Omega, and both have the original dials. You need to ask the seller detailed questions to satisfy yourself about what you are potentially getting. Cheers, Andy.
    Last edited by DGS; Today at 09:12 AM.
    Andy
    thanks, I appreciate the help, I would not have thought the original dial to so important - I am not able to devote a lot of money to new watches but it doesn't hurt to look, right?

upgrading to a fine skeleton may be a little tough but it seems like you hit a home run with the last 2 pocket watch conversions you displayed
    Anthony