What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

Apparently you will need a special watch winder for these Seiko Kinetics, not the traditional watch winder used for mechanical watches.
http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/YT02A-A.asp

Worth the cost? I don't think so. I have a dual watch winder for my auto watches but it was under $50 and that's about how much I'm willing to spend on one. It's crazy to see watch winders cost hundreds (and maybe even thousands) of dollars, I'd rather get another watch instead. But then again, it's crazy to pay what we sometimes pay for shaving gear too :smile:

The teacher becomes the student. Thanks for the info, I didn't count on the higher resistance the rotor in a kinetic encounters making a normal winder inefficient at best.

I did some reading and apparently a braun toothbrush charger works, but less efficiently then the real thing.

Oh, and I love the Sinns.

Check out other brands- I think the Movado is a bit old and ot making a particularly great statement, but don't let anyone tell you that there are no quartz movements out there worth $2,000. There absolutely are. Mostly from Seiko and Citizen, but there are one or two Swiss ones which seem to get respect on the High Accuracy Quartz forums. I'd definitely check out watchuseek.com's high accuracy quartz subforum

Personal preference is one thing, ignorance another.

I stand by my statement that I would never pay $2000 for a quartz watch. 27 Jewel ETA quartz movements are available for less than $100. Now, you can have a phenomenal case made with jewels and precious metals that could push the watch price up. I personally prefer that the movement be mechanical/automatic. Accuracy with a mechanical is obtained through engineering and skill. That is what I respect and pay for, is the craftsmanship. Since I have educated myself prior to making many of these purchase decisions, I would argue that calling me "ignorant" is a poor choice of words. Jerk, condescending, horses-a**, all would be far more accurate. :wink2:

Love the Sinn. a 556? If it were larger, would be my grail. Actually looking for something similar for a daily, but in the 44-46 range.

Wearing my 46mm Seiko Caesar right now. . .
$2012-04-21 00.03.16.jpg

Yes a Sinn 556. I love it, though I have days when I find it on the small side too. There's a Greg Stevens Design GSD-1 that looks similar and it's 46mm, I'll send you a PM about it as it is in a FS thread on another forum.

Apparently you will need a special watch winder for these Seiko Kinetics, not the traditional watch winder used for mechanical watches.
http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/YT02A-A.asp

Worth the cost? I don't think so. I have a dual watch winder for my auto watches but it was under $50 and that's about how much I'm willing to spend on one. It's crazy to see watch winders cost hundreds (and maybe even thousands) of dollars, I'd rather get another watch instead. But then again, it's crazy to pay what we sometimes pay for shaving gear too :smile:

I have two automatics and a kinetic. The kinetic won't wind in the winder.

I bought this new in 1987. Worn it almost every day. I even used to swim with it on. The strap is a recent replacement. By the way, the strap is not to tight, it's just the awkward position I had to get my arm in to get far enough frm the camera for it to focus.

$DSC_0106.jpg

Peter.

Last edited:
I stand by my statement that I would never pay $2000 for a quartz watch. 27 Jewel ETA quartz movements are available for less than $100. Now, you can have a phenomenal case made with jewels and precious metals that could push the watch price up. I personally prefer that the movement be mechanical/automatic. Accuracy with a mechanical is obtained through engineering and skill. That is what I respect and pay for, is the craftsmanship. Since I have educated myself prior to making many of these purchase decisions, I would argue that calling me "ignorant" is a poor choice of words. Jerk, condescending, horses-a**, all would be far more accurate. :wink2:

Your personal preference is fine, If you prefer mechanical movements that's ok, honestly, but there have been significant advances in horology based on the oscillations of quartz crystals, involving a similar level of "craftsmanship" as there is in mechanical movements (i.e. some guy programs a CNC machine and gets called in to reprogram it if there's a problem). The Grand Seiko quartz movements are ridiculously accurate and Seiko recommend they are returned for their first service after 50 years. Do you think there is no achievement involved in this or believe that ETA employ tiny elves to sprinkle stardust on their 2892s?
The problem with most so-called watch experts is they only look at what they've been led to believe is the pinnacle of watchmaking by many other so-called experts who have yet to understand the Geneva is not an altruistic fairyland. I suggest everyone does some research.

Last edited:
Your personal preference is fine, If you prefer mechanical movements that's ok, honestly, but there have been significant advances in horology based on the oscillations of quartz crystals, involving a similar level of "craftsmanship" as there is in mechanical movements (i.e. some guy programs a CNC machine and gets called in to reprogram it if there's a problem). The Grand Seiko quartz movements are ridiculously accurate and Seiko recommend they are returned for their first service after 50 years. Do you think there is no achievement involved in this or believe that ETA employ tiny elves to sprinkle stardust on their 2892s?
The problem with most so-called watch experts is they only look at what they've been led to believe is the pinnacle of watchmaking by many other so-called experts who have yet to understand the Geneva is not an altruistic fairyland. I suggest everyone does some research.
I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue that mechanical watches are superior to quartz when it comes to accuracy or even service intervals. Yet, I don't feel that anyone should argue against someone's preferences. I myself prefer automatic/mechanical because they need care, they are fragile, they have a certain something that can not be replicated by a quartz watch. I like to compare it to something as simple as a switch board, it can be made using relays or transistors, yet flipping the switch on a relay board and hearing the relays spring into action is more satisfying then the efficient and dull workings of a transistor. A computer built out of transistors is far more powerful then one built out of tubes and relays, yet the one with tubes and relays is more majestic and awe inspiring.

That is my point of view, and you are welcome to disagree. The juice from an orange might be sweeter then the apple but as long as I prefer the taste of an apple it is useless to argue the qualities of the orange.

I wore a Seiko Kinetic for 5 years or so. Loved the thing. Recently I've been getting more into automatics. Love the Submariner but don't even want to fathom trying to pay for one right now. Got a Seiko SKX007 because I didn't want a blatant submariner ripoff and it has its own seiko style. Still a very handsome watch. Not my picture, but love the tube...

$tumblr_m2eki57lhg1qjq1n9o2_1280.jpg

Hi, I'm new to vintage watches, but I heard some good things about Roamers so I picked one up at a local auction. It came with what I believe is a much older Certina. They both seem to keep good time, but I'm just wondering how old they are. Any experts here that can date them from the numbers? The Roamer number is:

305 467 305776
307382 308 491.

The Certina number is:
8618 2
Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

Well said! Talk about a picture being worth a thousand words.

You're absolutely right. I'm sure that's why most B&B members ride a horse to work.
They might be slow and need a lot of maintanence, but they sure are purty.....(sigh).

That ALS movement, yes, it is absolutely beautiful, no question; a work of art and they keep time as well as many quartz movements, especially with the right watchmaker. But it costs a fortune and is quite fragile, not to mention cased in such a way as to make it very conspicous.
The quartz movement is not the best-looking example either, but then that's the point isn't it? It's like a gay man putting up a picture of Denzel next to Olive Oil and saying "This is why I prefer men". It's a deliberately disingenuous comparison.
I am not, repeat not trying to convert people to the side of quartz. I just get heartily sick of people who prefer mechanical watches pretending that quartz mvts have no value or cannot be made to an incredibly high standard worth paying a lot of money for.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right. I'm sure that's why most B&B members ride a horse to work.
They might be slow and need a lot of maintanence, but they sure are purty.....(sigh).

That ALS movement, yes, it is absolutely beautiful, no question; a work of art and they keep time as well as many quartz movements, especially with the right watchmaker. But it costs a fortune and is quite fragile, not to mention cased in such a way as to make it very conspicous.
The quartz movement is not the best-looking example either, but then that's the point isn't it? It's like a gay man putting up a picture of Denzel next to Olive Oil and saying "This is why I prefer men". It's a deliberately disingenuous comparison.
I am not, repeat not trying to convert people to the side of quartz. I just get heartily sick of people who prefer mechanical watches pretending that quartz mvts have no value or cannot be made to an incredibly high standard worth paying a lot of money for.

Hey, I own quartz watches, so no need to convert me. I just like the mechanical movements better, and would invest more money in those than a quartz. I think quartz has become a victim of it's own success in that regard. In the beginning, they were a new technology, and mechanical was the order of the day. For the majority of people, the quartz movement that has accuracy measured in seconds per year is more than adequate for their needs, and appears pedestrian in comparison to a mechanical.

It should come as no surprise that on a forum loaded with guys that eschew modern shaving trappings there would be a bit of an affection of the old technology of mechanical watches. A can of shaving cream and a mach 3/fusion are more efficient shaving machines and you would have to try pretty hard to get a nick. We are still here enjoying the old ways though.:straight:

I will admit I am lured by the Bulova Precisionist, but have seen some long term tests wherein the accuracy really starts to tank after the first year over at watchuseek.

Top Bottom