What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

That was also one of the factors that helped me choose the MK1 over the MK2. There's just something out-of-balance about a watch face made up of various-sized circles with a square date window.

It isn't actually a cyclops above the date window, but rather a round date window on the dial, so no magnification. The round date window was one of the features that attracted me to this watch. The Mark II version has a more traditional date window. It is more obvious in Snargles' picture of his black face version.

Again today
proxy.php

An ExpII and a S2000..........a real double threat! Nice Mike.:thumbup1:

It is by far my favorite...the only water she has ever seen is the shower and maybe a neighborhood pool or two, so the whole diver's bezel I could live without. I just liked the overall look of it. I swear by Omega...mine even keeps fairly decent time!:lol::lol:

Vintage Cuervo Y Sobrinos Habana Automatic. This is one of my grail watches. I have spent 3 years looking for this type of Cuban watch and finally scored one.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Vintage Cuervo Y Sobrinos Habana Automatic. This is one of my grail watches. I have spent 3 years looking for this type of Cuban watch and finally scored one.

full

Very nice, Andrew! I love seeing Habana on the face. :thumbup1:

Andrew, that is a very interesting watch (and handsome). My wife is half Cuban and I'm sure she'd love to see it. I'll have to show her this later on. Thanks for sharing.

Andrew, that is a very interesting watch (and handsome). My wife is half Cuban and I'm sure she'd love to see it. I'll have to show her this later on. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Tim. Here is some more information on this brand:

Cuervo y Sobrinos History

In order to enter the world of Cuervo y Sobrinos and somehow understand it, one has to start by imagining a world far from the pressing daily routine of the west’s industrialised society of the late 1800s...

The search for adventure and an aristocratic way of life had brought to Havana a circle of intellectuals, navigators, businessmen, adventurers and “bons vivants”. An ideal mix, aware of but indifferent to everything that progress was inevitably bringing about. Already at that time the remedy was obvious and natural: “to cultivate the spirit”. One hundred years later, the world, invaded by stress, would embark upon a new “global” search for the ephemeral goal of a “better quality of life”.

Havana, 1882. It was already there. Imbued with this spirit, Armando Rio y Cuervo, with the collaboration of his brothers, competently and devotedly directed the watchmaker’s business, which had been founded by his uncle Ramon. Hence the name Cuervo y Sobrinos (Cuervo and Nephews). These skilled and famous jewellers established a boutique in Havana’s Fifth Avenue from which to offer to a select and demanding clientele beautiful and elegant objects, capable of withstanding the ebbs and flows of fashion.

Thanks to the courage of their choices and the originality of their proposals, in a few years La Casa (the house) became a steady point of reference for the whole of America until, with the elapsing of half a century, their fame, similar to that enjoyed by other jewellers in New York, Paris or Rome, was such that they were obliged to open three new branches: one in Pforzheim in Baden, Germany and then later in Paris on the elegant rue Mezlay and in La Chaux-de-Fonds, at the heart of the Swiss watch-making industry.

Towards the end of the nineteenth century, their continuous search for elegance and refinement resulted in the Cuervo y Sobrinos house being a famous brand well-known throughout America, in harmony with the quality lifestyle and deserved popularity of the Havana of those years, known even in Europe as the “Pearl of the Caribbean”.

It was during this period that Havana attracted intellectuals, businessmen, artists and lovers of an elegant lifestyle from all over the world. During this period Cuervo y Sobrinos distributed and sold the most important brands of clocks and watches in the world. The house achieved such levels of fame and exclusive refinement that the leading clock and watch manufacturers of the epoch engraved its name together with their own on the faces of the watches they sold, just like Tiffany in New York and Cartier in Paris, thus raising the name’s category to place it alongside that of the “creme” of the world’s best watch-makers, making it even more famous and sought after.

In their continuous search for mechanical perfection and the most beautiful forms and designs, following the taste and style of each period, which they gradually changed finally imposing their own, for many years Cuervo y Sobrinos continued to produce and sell watches that would be hallowed by a knowing and demanding public of world collectors, as examples of the most beautiful and refined watch-making craft.

It is not by chance that their watches have been classified as “classics” due to the elegant characteristics that have marked a style, capable of resisting the passing of time and changing fashions. Several of these watches have reached us today thanks to the passion of the collectors who seek out these models, regarded as being of great value thanks to the double brand, which affords them a guarantee and mark of singularity.

All of this resulted in Cuervo y Sobrinos being known, towards the end of the 1940s, as one of the most prestigious brands throughout the whole of America, with the boutique being an obligatory stopping place for some of the most illustrious visitors to Havana of that period. Einstein, Caruso, Churchill, Hemingway, Gable, Eleonora Duse, Neruda, all are names noted down by Cuervo y Sobrinos in its “golden book”, La Casa’s historic record.

Throughout more than 100 years of activity, Cuervo y Sobrinos have had the pleasure and honour of recording in their book the names of famous people from all walks of life: scientists, artists, writers and film stars, all different but all with one thing in common, an excellent lifestyle, thanks to their strong personalities, a taste for the beautiful things in life and the pleasure of possessing the most beautiful of objects that rise above fashion and common tastes, an unequivocal way of standing out from the crowd and exalting pleasure itself.

These characteristics have always distinguished the owners of our watches, just as, right from the beginning, Cuervo y Sobrinos has been following the path “towards a high standard of living”, as though their clients form a circle which, passing through different periods, unites them all by their similar desires and sets them apart in a class all of their own, way above anything else.

This watchmaker went out of business in 1959 following the revolution. It was revived in the late 90's or early 2000 when the brand was purchased and starting producing watches.

Top Bottom