What's new

brush abuse

Not abuse but, I was wondering how gentle I have to be with the brush. These things aren't fragile or anything, are they? I can mash it against my face/the bowl without thinking I'm going to break hairs or anything?

(I have a Rooney 3/1 super)

Thanks

I treat my Kent BK2 pretty rough to be honest, it gets clanged about and I tend to lather like the tasminian devil! although it does shed a lot of hair!!!

I think they are fairly robust though.

Not abuse but, I was wondering how gentle I have to be with the brush. These things aren't fragile or anything, are they? I can mash it against my face/the bowl without thinking I'm going to break hairs or anything?

(I have a Rooney 3/1 super)

Thanks

I think the Rooney brushes can handle it. I try not to mash so hard against my face that it goes down to the handle.

I have a Kent Bk4 that I used and abused daily for almost year that (I think) has been affected but it isn't nearly as dense and resilient as my Rooney 3, 1.

I have a the cheapest Saville Row, probably $40 two years ago. I gave it some hard use on the bowl lathering and soap loading, and I can see where, over time, a number of hairs have their tips broken off. It has also travelled with me, in some cases being carelessly thrown in the shaving kit. When I face lather now it can get a little scratchy if I go at it too aggressively or for a prolonged period. I bowl lathered when I started out, so perhaps it has always been this way. For my next brush I have resolved to be a little more careful, although I don't know if it will change the ultimate outcome, as what I am seeing may be normal wear and tear.

The brushes under discussion are much more expensive, and could be sturdier.

Thanks for the info. I mean - I'm not trying to see how hard I can mash it into the bowl or anything.... It's my first brush and I just didn't know if I had to handle it with kid gloves. Sounds like they're pretty sturdy.

The Rooney 3/1 is a terrific brush (and is my sole brush, excepting a travel Tweezerman).

One word of advice -- they do take a good 1-2 months of use before they soften,
and it's best not to 'mash' them in an attempt to hasten that process.

Last edited:
The Rooney 3/1 is a terrific brush (and is my sole brush, excepting a travel Tweezerman).

One word of advice -- they do take a good 1-2 months of use before they soften, and it's best not to 'mash' them in an attempt to hasten that process.

Well, that's nice to hear! Just got a Rooney 1/2 super and it is stiffer and scratchier than I thought it would be. Used it once so far.

I have two other brushes: Vulfix 2234. I thought it was a little "floppy" so bought a German made brush from RasurPur. It was firmer than the Vulfix and is very nice. It is a bulb-shaped loft. I decided I wanted a fan shape so bought the Rooney.

Summary:
Vulfix -- nice and soft, a luxury to use on my face, but so floppy it needs to be "choked up" to load it up with soap and even though it is only a 22mm knot is spreads out incredibly wide on my face making it a little clumsy to lather up with.
RasurPur -- also nice and soft, maybe not as soft as the Vulfix, but with a nice firmness. But I don't think the bulb shape makes lather as easily as the fan shape.
Rooney -- nice firmness but a little scratchy and seems to hang on to the lather a little too much. Hard to get the lather to leave brush for face.

Bottom line: I feel I am still looking for the right brush, but am spending sooo much money on them. I don't (yet) want to sell any of them as each beats the other two in one way or another!

Thus the "good news" above. Maybe I don't need another brush. Maybe I just need to give the Rooney some time.

Well, that's nice to hear! Just got a Rooney 1/2 super and it is stiffer and scratchier than I thought it would be. Used it once so far.

I have two other brushes: Vulfix 2234. I thought it was a little "floppy" so bought a German made brush from RasurPur. It was firmer than the Vulfix and is very nice. It is a bulb-shaped loft. I decided I wanted a fan shape so bought the Rooney.

Summary:
Vulfix -- nice and soft, a luxury to use on my face, but so floppy it needs to be "choked up" to load it up with soap and even though it is only a 22mm knot is spreads out incredibly wide on my face making it a little clumsy to lather up with.
RasurPur -- also nice and soft, maybe not as soft as the Vulfix, but with a nice firmness. But I don't think the bulb shape makes lather as easily as the fan shape.
Rooney -- nice firmness but a little scratchy and seems to hang on to the lather a little too much. Hard to get the lather to leave brush for face.

Bottom line: I feel I am still looking for the right brush, but am spending sooo much money on them. I don't (yet) want to sell any of them as each beats the other two in one way or another!

Thus the "good news" above. Maybe I don't need another brush. Maybe I just need to give the Rooney some time.

You could always try a Shavemac...

Well my second shave with the Rooney was much nicer. After just one use the Rooney is softening up noticeably.

I used a 19mm best badger brush and retired it after over 25 years of usage. The key is to be diligent after each use; rinse completely, keep it clean and air dry. Also, do not use extreme hot water temp. Follow these basic tips and your brush should last a lifetime. It was years before I realize that my father was using my brush after I went to work, so my beginner brush got allot of usage. My first brush, even though it's worn, is still usable; but with so many fine badger brushes available out there, I decided for a long over due upgrade. I bought one of the best brushes out there and it is one of the best decision I made.

Top Bottom