What's new

Brylcreem Anyone?

Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet, and try the same hair styling product my grandfather used. All I can say is that I wish I discovered this stuff when I was 12.

I had given up, and have sported the natural look since junior high, but on a whim the other day, I decided to try a tube. The best part about Brylcreem is that I can use just a small amount, and still get a fairly natural look, but with a little bit of hold. It also makes your hair look really healthy. And it never dries up and flakes out like those cheap gels.

Anyways, long story shot: try some, you'll love it.

Anyone else out there a fan of this stuff? A little dab'll do ya!

I've been using it on and off for years. Another great product is Booster Lanolin Hair Cream. I actually like Boosters better.

Brylcreem smells incredible, however, not enough hold if you use a little and too much shine if you use alot...

I recently rediscovered Brylcreem. My grandfather used to use Brylcreem and I can remember the smell most prominently. It is available in a red plastic jar here in Australia and last for ages :)

Another Brylcreem user here...love the stuff plus everyone knows...

Bryl-creem, a little dab'll do ya,
Use more, only if you dare,
But watch out,
The gals will all pursue ya,--
They'll love to put their fingers through your hair.

Bryl-creem, a little dab'll do ya,
Bryl-creem, you'll look so debonair.
Bryl-creem, the gals will all pursue ya,
They'll love to RUN their fingers through your hair.

:w00t:

I don't recall anyone in my family having used Brylcreem, so unfortunately it brings back no fond memories of childhood. It does, however, strike me as an underrated and oft overlooked (even by me) product.

Since I was recently back on an Aqua Velva kick, and looking for some Williams soap (which infortunately seems to be currently unavailable in my area), I thought I'd try another classic Combe product.

Had I really been overlooking this fabulous product for so many years? It's now a staple product in my bathroom cabinet, and hope it's produced for many years to come. Long live Brylcreem!

Does anyone know if the UK version by Sara Lee is the same as US version?

Last edited:
I'd use it if it could grow hair. :lol:

I think I must have used too much when I was a kid (with hair), as I remember it being greasy. Or maybe my memory is old inaccurate.

Brylcreem is good stuff. I like when my hair is shorter, maybe for about 2 weeks after a haircut. It does not seem to work so well when it is longer. The one knock I have on it is washing it out. The lanolin is fairly "gummy" when you wet your hair to shampoo, but it will shampoo out with mo problem, just feels sticky at first.

I used Brylcreem when I was a kid in the 50's. I don't recall it, fondly. I didn't like the oiliness. I preferred the hair waxes, whatever they were called. "Butch wax", maybe?

These days, I just prefer clean hair.

Tim

When I was a teen, we used to make fun of Brylcreem users."A little dab 'll do ya; use more only if you dare".:w00t: We called 'em greasers. Most of them wore black leather jackets and engineer boots and sported long side burns and duck tails. I don't think any amount of nostalgia could get me to use that stuff.

Doc.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I had a flat top when a kid. We, Dad, brothers and I, all used Rose's or Lucky Tiger Butch wax.

Last edited:
I use Top Brass, It works well for me. I have never tried Brylcreme. I am not opposed to it though. I may have a tube of it sent out to me.

Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet, and try the same hair styling product my grandfather used. All I can say is that I wish I discovered this stuff when I was 12.

I had given up, and have sported the natural look since junior high, but on a whim the other day, I decided to try a tube. The best part about Brylcreem is that I can use just a small amount, and still get a fairly natural look, but with a little bit of hold. It also makes your hair look really healthy. And it never dries up and flakes out like those cheap gels.

Anyways, long story shot: try some, you'll love it.

Anyone else out there a fan of this stuff? A little dab'll do ya!

I used it years ago when my Dad used it. I was elementary school. Eventually, I went through my "The wet head is dead" phase in junior high and high school, and my really long hair phase in college. I've using Pinoud Hair Tonic recently and I may try some Brylcreem if I find some.

Talk about going full circle. Wildroot anyone?

I use Brylcreem all the time, doesn't provide the best hold, but I enjoy the smell and I like the shiney look. .

I'm mostly using tonic (Lucky Tiger) these days though.

Top Bottom