What's new

old straight razor

Bought a straight razor form a guy it'a a Macon Shearing Co. square piont, made in Germany.
It's already very sharp but needs to be cleaned and shined up. Some spots seem to be pretty hard. Is there something you use to clean these up? any idea where to find info. on this? I'll post pics later.
Thanks a lot,
Vinny

Look at WalMart for some stuff called "MAAS" it might be in the cleaners/polishes section. Another good one to look for is Flitz. If the thing is dirty beyond that there are all sorts of things one can do to have that razor looking like new.
I would refer you to www.straightrazorplace.com and they have a whole forum dedicated to straight razor restoration....really in depth good stuff. Personally? I just polish them up real nice and sharpen them. But you can do WAY more stuff for them than that, if you want.
John P.

Ok, here's the pics of the razor. I am going to try to restore it. any idea how old it might be? The case says Antoni Jadross, doesn't belong with razor?
Thanks,
Vinny

Vinny,

SER has a comprehensive list of manufacturers, but I don't find Macon listed. A lot of companies had razors manufactured with their name on them, leaving off the name of the actual manufacturer. Based on these pics, it looks like the razor has a lot of hone wear, and the bevel will probably need to be re-established. Also, the toe looks like it is rounded a good bit. Can you get better pics? You might contact Bill Ellis (Urleebird) at SRP and get his opinon on this, but it looks like a major production lies ahead.

Randy

Top Bottom