What's new

Good leather/canvas strop that won't break the bank

There is one universal truth in stropping: when you first begin, you *will* nick the strop......perhaps several times over the course of the first dozen or so uses. Some nicks can be sanded out, others will be too deep.

Therefore starting with one of Tony Miller's "Lite" Starter strops with the practice strop option would be my suggestion. You'll find the Starter strop, for a leather component at least, that you really need and they are very affordable considering the quality of leather, construction and ability to add components as you grow.

Order the strop at the link below, add the practice strop option for an additional $7.50 and as you grow in your stropping expertise you can add other Miller components to the Starter strop until you have exactly what you need.

Use the practice strop for at least the first couple of months, at least, to avoid nicking the Starter Strop.

Tony Miller Starter Strop

Last edited:
Yup, what they said. Spend the extra 8 bucks to add Tony's practice strop to whatever package you decide upon.

I have my TM strop and practice strop on order, after reading all the recommendations about them.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I just tried to get a strop from Tony yesterday but there weren't any provinces in the state/province selection area. I couldnt complete the form :frown:

I just tried to get a strop from Tony yesterday but there weren't any provinces in the state/province selection area. I couldnt complete the form :frown:

I just dropped him an email with my wants and he sent a reply the very next day. He also dropped me a paypal invoice, that way I did not need to use the shopping cart.

I am about to order one and had a question. Do I really need the canvas or can I just order one without? The options really start adding up and I do not want to spend money on something that will not be useful.

It's a much debated topic. Use the search... some say it helps keep the edge and prolong time between honings. Others say its a waste of time unless you like stropping. It might not be available this week but you should be able to pick it up at some later date when he cranks some out. I am not certain but I think TM only offers linen and cotton.

Seconded, do I really need a canvas strop? I'd like to get Tony Miller's starter strop, but there's no canvas.

Don't believe he offers linen/canvass on his starter strops. He's a busy man. Needs someone to help him with his booming business. IMO, no you don't *need* a cloth strop. Does it work? I don't know, I have hones and newspaper; worked fine for the past 6 years for me. And a strop, but tbh that has been a recent addition. Well worth it I might add. Tony's strops are awesome and much better than anything I've used in the past. That includes a $40 one from Excalibur Cutlery and some leather belts.

Tony's strops are awesome, if nothing else, buy the latigo strop and send your razor out for honing 2x a year or however often you can afford.

Top Bottom