What's new

Shaving Mug or Coffee Mug...Difference?

Newbie here. Question: I've been looking for a proper container for shaving soap and saw some cool shaving mugs. But honestly, what is the difference between an official "shaving mug" and a typical coffee mug that I can grab out of my cupboard?

Newbie here. Question: I've been looking for a proper container for shaving soap and saw some cool shaving mugs. But honestly, what is the difference between an official "shaving mug" and a typical coffee mug that I can grab out of my cupboard?

+1 I too am wondering what the difference is, I use a bowl from a hardware store that works really well.

I too am new, but I can share my meager experiences with you.

I grabbed a mug, and used it the first time to make lather. Then I grabbed a large Mortor and Pestle I owned, putting the pestle aside.

The coffee mug was smooth, and cramped for my hand/brush.

The Mortor is not smooth on the inside; its granite with a somewhat rough surface area. So my hands fit better, and the lather is generated much quicker.

I think both work, but having more surface area helps generate lather, in my short experience.

I use Omega Shaving Soap, and a badger brush. I also have a hot pot to boil water with when I shave.

One has soap in it and the other has coffee....

Actually, some shaving mugs have little grips if you will, molded into the bottom to hold the soap puck.

I don't use mugs but my dad just used an old coffee mug for years.

A bowl probably works better, but it really depends on the mug. Most shaving mugs are wide to give you room to work the brush. Most coffee mugs are more narrow to conserve the heat of the coffee.
I've actually got a coffee mug that came a from a Dansk stoneware place setting from the 80's - it's very wide, large and low. It probably made a terrible coffee mug, but I can lather in it just fine.

I found that a simple glass bowl in more of a 'V'-shaped that I picked up for about $2 worked considerably better than my official shaving mug (Burt's Bees, $19 CAD). With a transparant glass bowl, I find that you can better gauge the thickness and consistency of the lather, and the curved bowl allows you to better mix the lather. I found that with the shaving mug the lather would simply get stuck around the edges.

Anything will work and spending $17 for a "shaving mug" is crazy. I like the idea of a mortar. I almost bought one at a Chinese supermarket. I think it was made out of granite or stone because it must have weighed at least 5lbs.
But what a great idea to mix lather in. I still might buy one some day.

I use a low sided cereal bowl, it works OK but sometimes the lather pops out over the sides. you could of course face lather, which is what I have been doing with my TGQ sampler.

Let me take a whack at this. You could forego any kind of soap bowl. I have a block that I wet in the sink then hold while working the brush over it. I have, like many others I presume, used small wooden, plactic, and metal "bowls" that are purchased with shave soaps. I work the brush over the soap much the same way one would if the soap were in your hand.
A real shave bowl, however, can be used once you've loaded the brush with soap. Wisking it in a warmed bowl of sufficient width and depth to allow some motion (and not wake your wife to the clanging of the brush against its side on each pass) will make a warm frothy mixture that will make you want to shave each morning.
Take a look at the Home page on this site and find the How To site...see the article on Building Amazing Lather. He uses paste instead of soap but the use of the bowl is similar whatever you may use.
I'm waiting for a scuttle to arrive but making use of a very large wide coffee mug that is thick and really retains heat. It works.
Jim

I like the idea of a mortar. I almost bought one at a Chinese supermarket. I think it was made out of granite or stone because it must have weighed at least 5lbs.
But what a great idea to mix lather in. I still might buy one some day.

Yep yep... 3/4 inch thick walls. Its a b*tch to heat up, but it retains heat nicely. And its purty!

Anything will work and spending $17 for a "shaving mug" is crazy.QUOTE]

I'm with you on this. With regard to this new adventure, I am definately a "minimalist" and don't want too many gadgets cluttering up my bathroom. Having said that...I just ordered my second razor....sheesh!

I have used a usual coffee mug and use a bit bigger soup mug.
(I bought them at 100yen(=almost $1) store.)
Soup mag is fine, it is wide and easy for lathering with Omega's big boar brush:smile:.

Some people use metal bowl...
Is that any difference except material and the conduction?:confused:

I went throught this same problem a few months ago last year....
I think its safe to go with a large coffee mug... nothing fancy or expensive...
I went to the Salvation Army and found a couple nice mugs for 34 cents each.... :biggrin:

Good Luck :thumbup1:

Last edited:
I went throught this same problem a few months ago last year....
I think its to go with a large coffee mug... nothing fancy or expensive...
I went to the Salvation Army and a couple nice mugs for 34 cents each.... :biggrin:

Good Luck :thumbup1:

Same here - I've been using a plastic mug I got from St Vincent de Paul (charity shop) about eight years ago and it still works fine.

I put eight or nine glass marbles in the bottom. These help to raise the level of contact between the cream and the brush and create a brilliant lather.

I think the only thing to watch out for is that the mug isn't too deep for easy use with a smaller brush.

I use this:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74891

it doesn't take up much room, makes my soap lather better, and will hold my brush/razor when I'm not using them. It's basically used to get the lather going, but you build it on your face. It's nice for those people who are face latherers and like soap. Useless if you use a cream. A little costly, but it accomplishes a lot -> good for minimalists.

I've gone through that also. Used a small bowl I bought at Wall-Mart. A tin cup from where I can't remember. Both are now holding soaps. Now I'm using an Old Spice mug. I start the lather in it but finish doing a face lather and dipping the brush in hot water whilst doing it. Been thinking about a DirtyBird scuttle with the star design in the bottom to help make lather. Although a big Campbell's soup mug might be good also.

Top Bottom