What's new

Dr. Bronner's

I found this stuff in a Trader Joe's over the weekend. It's really interesting stuff, aside from the far out quotations and philosophy printed on the bottle.

Has anyone else ever heard of or used this stuff? They recommend shaving with it, though I'm skeptical. It's really slippery feeling, but it doesn't lather so well.

The real upside is that it's insanely minty! I've been experimenting with different blades, so I roughed myself up a bit this morning. Washing my face with this afterwards, all I could say was, "Ahhhhhh...nice!" It feels really good on the scalp too.

I have always been a big fan of Dr. Bronner's products, especially the liquid peppermint soap. I use both the peppermint and the unscented "Baby Mild" in the shower frequently, and I have always been pleased with them. A word of warning if you haven't used the peppermint in the shower; it provides a pretty intense cooling sensation. I personally love the stuff, but I know it is a bit much for some people.

As far as shaving goes, I haven't tried it by itself, but I have used the peppermint liquid along with Palmolive lather shave cream to perform Mantic's Superlather technique, and it works like a charm.

I know people who use this soap for literally dozens of different tasks, and all of them swear by it.

I use the Tea Tree Oil bar as my regular face-wash bar. It really helps keep down on the redness and scarring that used to occur from shaving (that, and switching to DE wet-shaving :smile:). My wife uses the almond version of the bar as her regular shower soap and it does wonders for her skin.

hello lgw,

i have tried the unscented bar soap which is OK but it seems to get used up pretty quickly. i prefer irish spring. however, i will have to try shaving with the liquid soap.

thanks,
mike

lgwapnitsky said:
I use the Tea Tree Oil bar as my regular face-wash bar. It really helps keep down on the redness and scarring that used to occur from shaving (that, and switching to DE wet-shaving :smile:). My wife uses the almond version of the bar as her regular shower soap and it does wonders for her skin.

battleboar said:
I have always been a big fan of Dr. Bronner's products, especially the liquid peppermint soap. I use both the peppermint and the unscented "Baby Mild" in the shower frequently, and I have always been pleased with them. A word of warning if you haven't used the peppermint in the shower; it provides a pretty intense cooling sensation. I personally love the stuff, but I know it is a bit much for some people.

As far as shaving goes, I haven't tried it by itself, but I have used the peppermint liquid along with Palmolive lather shave cream to perform Mantic's Superlather technique, and it works like a charm.

I know people who use this soap for literally dozens of different tasks, and all of them swear by it.

Thanks for the superlather idea. I put some on my brush this morning and whisked it around a few times before adding Proraso. The lather was supremely lubricating and Dr. Bronner's masked that awful (IMHO) eucalyptus-soapy smell of the Proraso. Plus, the combo was like shaving with ice: very soothing.

I have used the lavender bar soap to shave with and thought it wasn't too bad - the lather didn't hold up as well as a true shaving soap.

I have seen this stuff at Fiesta (a grocery store) here in Houston. I will have to buy one next time I am shopping.

BlackLabelBrewer said:
Thanks for the superlather idea. I put some on my brush this morning and whisked it around a few times before adding Proraso. The lather was supremely lubricating and Dr. Bronner's masked that awful (IMHO) eucalyptus-soapy smell of the Proraso. Plus, the combo was like shaving with ice: very soothing.

Sorry about not responding Jonathan, I unfortunately have been on the road the past couple of days, sadly going without the enriching discussion here on B&B!

Anyway, I'm glad the superlather idea is working out for you. I have recently been trying out different scents of Bronner's with the few cheapie creams I actually use. So far all have worked out just fine. I particullary like using the unscented variety of Dr. Bronner's, as it allows me to superlather without comprimising the scent of the cream. Can't get enough of that Proraso :biggrin: !

It feels pretty nice for a change, but I don't think it lathers well at all. Still, when I'm feeling wild, I'll do a Dr. Bronner's Peppermint shower before an all Proraso Pre/Post/Cream shave.

I've used Dr. Bronner's while camping. I do like the way the peppermint smells, and it certainly works well as an all-around soap. I haven't used it for shaving, though.

I love Dr. Bronner's Lavender and the Peppermint soap bars. I have the Peppermint liquid...still not wild about that. But...this is not a shaving soap. I'm still amazed at why someone would try shaving with a bath bar. There are SO many shaving soaps and creams available, items MEANT to be shaved with, that I just don't get it. If it is an emergency (i.e., forgot to pack something to shave with), okay. But otherwise...it's just wrong.

Randy

I live in Hilo HI. Lots of mozzies and biting bugs. The wife has especially sweet blood, bronners peppermint keeps the bugs at bay and is quite refreshing on a hot, humid Hilo day.

The Marines don't like the peppermint version so much. While in the Corps every marine could pickup the smell. I used it in the USMC because liquid, compact, and could be used for shampoo, soap and shaving cream.

KingSlug

Top Bottom