Dovo Micarta Ivory
5/8 Stainless Steel
Approx £90

Dovo Solingen - Bismarck Cut Throat Razor
6/8 blade full hollow ground carbon steel blade
£90

What do you recommend

Jason

If I had to choose from those you have listed I would choose the 6/8 Dovo Bismark. However as a first straight or any straight you don't have to go that high in price to get a very nice shaver. Where are you looking to buy this razor from?

I havent realy thought about where to buy from, so no place in particular.

I was thinking that if I am going to buy am item that will last forever (if taken care of), then get a razor that will look good.

Jason

You should get an nice old one from theinvisibleedge. They come shave ready and are much cheaper depending on which one you go for. You will be buying many more razors as you start getting into it so there is plenty of time to get a beauty.

GB

I am confused,

Why would I buy a vintage razor over a new one.

I can afford around £100 forthae razor and the essential that go with it for another £100.

If I dont like it, then it will make a very nice present

Jason

Many will agree that vintage blades are better. This day and age manufacturers face less stiff competition. Some will say the quality of steel is different. In the olden days pure iron ore was used, nowadays iron is being recycled and scrap iron is added. I have one modern TI and one 1980's Friodur but I prefer my vintage razors.

I agree with kees vintage blades are better than new ones. I have a few vintage Dovo's and the new ones aren't even close in quality. razors are one of those rare items where spending more does not guarantee a better razor. For a first razor get an inexpensive razor. There is too much of a chance it will suffer a mishap as you learn.

Top Bottom