What's new

The ultimate dessert

Any variation of Death by Chocolate would probably do . . . or one of those Vienna Torte cakes. But at the Realto in Fort Worth, I had the World's Best Dingdong:

Really, really rich/moist chocolate cake round (honestly, about the size of a dingdong) filled with chocolate ganache and dipped in Belgian dark chocolate, on a bed of creme fraiche and raspberry coulis swirls, garnished with red and yellow raspberries marinated in Dom Perignon champagne.

I still have dreams about that dessert. I really do.

NANP™

The difficulty is that, growing up with you, Ouchette probably has a more sophisticated palate than most 12-year-olds. Hell, than most humans.

That said, let me ask my 12-year-old son with a somewhat sophisticated palate (typically clears raw or lightly steamed veggies from his plate before touching the protein, which tends to disappear before the starch; loves sushi & seafood, eats baguette with olive oil & balsamic or tabbouli for snacks).

Would you believe ... ice cream castle, with cake, gummy bear people, twizzlers, upside-down ice-cream cones for turrets, strawberry sauce & fresh strawberries, raspberries & blackberries. And lots of strawberry mousse.

So there you have it.

I would have nominated true Bananas Foster until you said chocolate was required. That is the ultimate dessert.

By "true" I mean butter and brown sugar cooked to a caramel sauce with a little citrus juice added at the end, then a touch of cinnamon. Then the bananas. All served over homemade shortcakes with whipped cream.

Great! Now I am hungry.

Tim

How about a Brownie ice cream combo for best results it must have hot fresh brownies placed in the ice cream decoratively perhaps covered in black walnuts, cherries, sprinkles or even gummi bears then top the entire thing with melted chocolate. :tongue_sm

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Yesterday my little angel pointed out (literally- with a pointy stick) that I had never made her my cheesecake. So simple, so good, and I had a slave for hours.

I'd challenge you to a crepe throwdown, but my wife recently used my crepe pan :eek: to make French toast and I'll need several months to reseason it. :lol:

Whenever I make them, I tell my daughter that tradition dictates that the first one be discarded, since it often does not come out right (the snooty French chefs say that, not me). She says, "That one's mine!", and eats it rolled up with apricot jam. Her only other complaint is that I should double my recipe, as I only cook a dozen at a time.

(I'll take Nick's (and your) word that your wife's crepes are legendary.)

We can set this up. The First B&B Annual Crepe Throwdown. Where should it be held?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I thought we already had a thread about Pi :001_rolle
This is true.

I've long held that Pie is the greatest food ever.
You can eat a different variety of pie for breakfast, lunch, supper and dessert for at least a week and have no repeats.

You can try and argue that any other food is better than pie, but fail, because I'll just make a pie out of that food.

There is nothing so exhaulted on God's green earth ...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vykjGyh0_3Y[/YOUTUBE]

I'd challenge you to a crepe throwdown, but my wife recently used my crepe pan :eek: to make French toast and I'll need several months to reseason it. :lol:

Whenever I make them, I tell my daughter that tradition dictates that the first one be discarded, since it often does not come out right (the snooty French chefs say that, not me). She says, "That one's mine!", and eats it rolled up with apricot jam. Her only other complaint is that I should double my recipe, as I only cook a dozen at a time.

(I'll take Nick's (and your) word that your wife's crepes are legendary.)

Mrs. K's crepes cannot be beat; however, if you'd like to try, I really should be the judge of that... Oh look, y'all actually came up with a decent solution to this stalemate.

Alright alright, I guess I'm gonna have to break out the plastic couch cover for John.

Scott, walnut, chocolate, and caramel, a triple threat. You're in. Make sure it's warm when you arrive, I don't want y'all loitering while I'm crepe and tart binging. :wink:

Mrs. K's crepes cannot be beat; however, if you'd like to try, I really should be the judge of that... Oh look, y'all actually came up with a decent solution to this stalemate.

Alright alright, I guess I'm gonna have to break out the plastic couch cover for John.

Scott, walnut, chocolate, and caramel, a triple threat. You're in. Make sure it's warm when you arrive, I don't want y'all loitering while I'm crepe and tart binging. :wink:

I'm up for this. Are you supplying the Bourbon?

Chocolate/Banana Bread Pudding.

Years ago my wife and I celebrated our anniversary at The California Grill in WDW's Contemporary resort. They served this for dessert with a nice glass of port. It was beyond awesome.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Well, today's the big day. Settled on chocolate mousse with crème anglaise. Mom added apple pie, which was transfered from freezer to oven without incident.

Degree of difficulty, on a scale of 1-10:
Chocolate mousse- 6 (6 for perfection, 3 for very good)
Crème anglaise- 10

full

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, today's the big day. Settled on chocolate mousse with crème anglaise. Mom added apple pie, which was transfered from freezer to oven without incident.

Degree of difficulty, on a scale of 1-10:
Chocolate mousse- 6 (6 for perfection, 3 for very good)
Crème anglaise- 10

full

attachment.php

Chocolate Mousse - Excellent choice!

If it's not too late, try using pasteurized eggs if you can find them. It's a bit safer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom