What's new

Just starting out

Hi Guys,

My wife usually does the shopping but she was on a trip so I did the shopping and I was absolutely floored by the cost of the triple edge blades my two boys and I had been using! Especially when I realized that my boys don't think you can use a blade for more than one shave! The Jack Benny really came out in me!

I started looking around and decided to give my father's old double edge razor a try and so far I've been pretty successful - I've been able to miss the carotid artery anyway :smile: and haven't had any real problem with knicks, just the occasional razor burn and even at that it's not been bad.

My boys have given up though! Especially my 20 year old! He just couldn't shave without knicking himself up. He has a dimple on his chin and kept sliceing it off. It didn't help when I pointed out that eventually it'll get sliced down level and wont be a problem any more! :biggrin: Evidently plastic surgery via double edge razor just doesn't appeal to him!

I told the boys they could use the DE and could even use a new blade for each shave, but I wasn't buying any more of the triple edge blades -> especially since I couldn't get them to shave more than once with them! They aren't happy but have now went out and spent their own money on triple edge razor blades and now they seem to be able to use them for a bit longer, imagine that!

Anyway, so far I'm doing OK but I'm wondering if a razor change isn't in order. My father has passed away and Mom just gave me Dad's old razor. She said the blades got hard to find so he quit using a DE years ago. The one we found isn't the one I remember him using, I remember him using one with a silver head and black handle and you twisted the bottom of the handle to open a trap door at the top to expose the blade. The one we found is a gold Gillette and I can't find a date on it anywhere. I think it's similar to the first one shown in the Gillette sticky and the author says he doesn't recommend it. I think I'm going to stick with this so I wouldn't mind spending ~$50 or so to buy a good razor. I don't have the camera handy, but I've attached a couple photos of a razor I found on eBay that's just like the one I'm using (though mine is in much better shape). Whatta ya think - get a new razor? If so, which one for a biginner?

Beyond that razor I'm using some Personna blades from Walmart. I think I'll order some Israeli Red Box blades shortly though. I've been using a new blade for each shave just because they are so cheap and I thought it would help eliminate a variable (i.e. did I get a sucky shave because I was doing something wrong or because the blade was dull? A new blade eliminates that question). I've also went completely retro and also picked up some Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap from Walmart and it seems to work well, though reading the soap reviews here I may splurge and try some Tabac. It isn't a huge lather, but works nicely. Even if I give up on using a DE razor I think I'll keep using shaving soap! I also picked up a shaving brush from Walmart - a Van Der Hagen boar hair brush. I know badger is recommended but this one seems to work fine for me, though I think I may order a Tweezerman badger brush just to compare.

Anyway, just checking in and thought I'd ask about my razor.

Take Care,

Steve

Steve, Welcome to B&B

FYI you can but Tabac refills just the puck without the ceramic jar relatively cheap at Amazon and plenty of other sites for under $13. put it in your own bowl and you have a great quality soap that with everyday use will last well at least 6 months maybe a year, I don't think I have ever read of anyone finishing one, I have been working on mine off and on for 2 years without barely a dent in it

Welcome to B&B! The Gillette you're currently using is a tech -- it's a fine razor, but a bit too mild for many (meaning that you end up making extra passes, resulting in burn, etc.). The razor you describe sounds like a black-handled superspeed. I do indeed think that those perform better than many techs.

All that said, my personal recommendation is the Merkur HD. I think you'll find it similar to the tech you've been using in head design (and thus easy to get accustomed to), but superior in shave quality. As for your sons, well, good luck!

Thanks guys!

I just surfed around a bit and my razor is indeed a tech - thanks for the id!

I think I'll go for the Merkur HD as it sounds like my Tech may be a bit mild for me as my only real issue has been the occasional razor burn and I do seem to have to make several passes to get the shave I want. The Merkur seems rasonable enough and if I don't like it I'm sure I could peddle it and go back to my Tech (though from what I gather reading the forum here it seems you really can't have too many razors :smile: so I'm sure I'd hold on to it for the occasional whim to try something different again).

I think Dad's razor I remember was adjustable, but again it's disappeared. I think this Tech razor is one he kept in the camper as now that I think about it I think I remember seeing it in there.

He also used to have a red handled shaving brush that sat in the cabinet for years, but I don't recall him ever using it I just remember the trusty can of Barb-o-Sol sitting in the cabinet. Mom said the brush left many years ago when they remodeled the bathroom and cleaned out the cabinet.

Though Dad was still using a DE when I learned to shave I had older brothers and they used the newer plastic handled razors that resemble the ones available now. I think they had two blades but the head did not pivot and you changed them by sliding the head sideways. Since the heads didn't pivot I guess I learned to keep a good angle and that's helped now with the DE, though my boys have always had pivoting heads and are having a much harder time of it with the DE (well, had a much harder time - they've already given up on the DE!).

Thanks for the tips and the welcome! . . . back to reading the forum, WOW! What a bunch of stuff to catch up on!

Take Care,

Steve

R

rainman

The red IP's are a good choice for a blade. Good quality at a low cost. You should be able to get 100 of them for less than $15 shipped. I get four shaves per blade. I recommend getting the progress for an adjustable razor.

One of the best things I did was getting a sampler pack of blades from West Coast Shaving. Although there is some consensus on bad blades - the contenders - derby, dorco, reds, swedes, feathers - are really up to personal preference and your face.

Welcome!

Did you and the boys watch Mantic's videos? I think that would be a great help.

Maybe I missed it, but are the kids making their own lather? If not, that would be a huge improvement in shave quality.

I think that a combination of the videos, shave brush and warm lather, zero pressure and better blades will help the boys stick with DE shaving.

I have one of those dimples and it requires a feather light touch, care, and patience, but it can be done.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the welcomes and advice!

Yes, I've watched the videos - good stuff!

The boys have tried the soap/brush but are more interested in speed than "fun" (yeah, I find the brush and soap fun!).

I believe the boys are done with the foray into DE razors!

It's kinda humorous, my kids kinda remind me of the Queen of England sometimes . . . they get this high pitched whiny voice and usually start out with "We are not happy . . ." :lol:

I'm flipping a coin right now between the Merkur HD and Progress. I will be honest, I AM the type to "tweak" things, so I'm thinking the Progress may get me into trouble so I'm leaning towards the HD. I'll make a choice and get one ordered by tomorrow. The HD is reasonably priced so if I don't like it it's not like it's a major thing (heck it costs about what I used to pay for 12 throw away blades!!!)

Take Care,

Steve

Top Bottom