What's new

Pics of pipe tobacco tins

Hey fellas. With the recent interest in pipes(funny how that happens every fall!)I thought I'd post up a couple of hasty shots of my tinned tobacco. There are some really superb blends in here.

full

full

Regards, Todd

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Some very nice stuff in there. Nice to see the McConnell and Gawiths, and you have my all time favorite Virginia, bar none- the Astley's No. 109.

You even have 1792- the Salter's vetiver of the tobacco world.:eek:

Reviews please reviews! I use the house blend from my local cigar shop but would love to know more about the tins, etc.

Ouch, you are a man of discriminating taste. The Astley's 109 is one of my all time favourites. I also love the Virginias by Sam Gawith. I can't wait to get into that No. 4. That stuff is brown rope tobacco and is supposed to knock your socks off. Strengthwise that is. We'll see. I am very fortunate when it comes to Va. tobaccos. I can huff them with no fear of tongue burn. I am much more picky when it comes to the English blends. Most are way too heavy on the Latakia and to me this just drowns out the Virginias and Orientals. The AC Pedereson Escudo is now four years old. I tried sealing this in one of those vac seal baggie things just for giggles. I guess should break it open and try it. Funny thing with Escudo. When I first tried it I hated it. I mean it was nasty, raw, and totally unforgiving. I closed the tin back up and forgot about it for about six months. On a lark I got it out and was amazed at the transformation. It had dried a good bit and darkened a LOT. It had also mellowed, sweetened a bit, and smoked like nobody's business. I promptly went through that tin in about a week! I've been hoarding these last two back since you can't seem to find it very easily anymore. And it's twice the price it was when I bought it.

Ah Tinzien. A review eh? Well I'll try but remember, I'm not nearly as experienced as a lot of these guys. If you'd like to try a super nice Va. the above mentioned Astley's 109 is a very good start. They make most of their blends by numbers so be sure to ask for 109. It's one of the best. Remember this. Virginia tobaccos have the highest sugar content of all tobaccos. What happens when you overheat sugar and burn it? Yeah, nasty hot charcoal and stinking aroma. You can do this to your tongue with Va blends. I think it's way over exaggerated on most forums but again, I'm lucky. I can huff these things with no problem. I love them above all others. If you get a tin, take out enough for a bowl full and let sit on a paper towel, out in the open for a good half hour. Say what? Yeah, a full half hour. Most of these tinned blends are much too wet when fresh to smoke right out of the tin. At least comfortably. Air drying for 25-30 minutes will settle it down. Remember the admonitions of other posters. Smoke SLOWLY. If the pipe goes out, who cares? Light it again and GENTLY get the bowl smoldering. SMOLDERING. You don't need smoke signals. It took me a long time to learn that pipe smoking is about the tastes of the smoke, NOT the volume. The Va. for me are almost sublime. It took a few dozen bowls before I got that 'zen' effect so to speak. Remember to have fun, dont' worry, and keep some pipe cleaners handy. If you get some gurgle, run the cleaner down the stem. It really helps. Another thing to remember. A general rule of thumb is that if it smells great in the pouch it tastes like ****e in the pipe. That is referencing aromatics as most are too heavily cased and get hot. The natural 'baccys usually taste best to me. I like strong tobaccos too so keep that in mind. A very nice mild red Va. you could try is McClelland's 5100. Very mild and it's so lightly flavoured and nuanced that it will really help teach you how to smoke Va. Sip the pipe. Slowly, relaxed, and...okay enough Yoda talk. Have fun.

Regards, Todd

Hmm... thanks. I just placed an order for:

Astley's: No. 109 Medium Flake 50g
Gawith Hoggarth & Co.: Bob's Chocolate Flake 50g

funny how that happens every fall!
How true!

As I do every fall I picked up pipe smoking again a few weeks ago. I'd been smoking a couple of relatively cheap pipes up until now so I bought a new Brebbia to celebrate my renewed interest. I'm surprised at how much the quality of the pipe really does change the way the tobacco smokes.

Thanks for posting the tin pics, I have some good ideas on some new things to try now. It seems we have similar tastes, but I do enjoy a good Latakia heavy blend in the evenings. I've been smoking local blends mostly, and bulk Dunhill 965.

Phog Allen said:
The natural 'baccys usually taste best to me. I like strong tobaccos too so keep that in mind.

Regards, Todd

I've been a cigar smoker for a few years and like a more full bodied cigar. What would you reccomend for a pipe tobacco- I'd prefer a natural tobacco- aged- not flavoured, not mild- more robust with an earthy aroma.

I'ts not as easy on the web to select pipe tobacco as it is cigars-

Thanks in advance...

ouch

srajguru said:
I've been a cigar smoker for a few years and like a more full bodied cigar. What would you reccomend for a pipe tobacco- I'd prefer a natural tobacco- aged- not flavoured, not mild- more robust with an earthy aroma.

Thanks in advance...

The most natural progression for cigar smokers into the world of pipes is aged Virginias. They are full bodied, rich, and smooth, and range from mildly to fairly sweet. The more heavily stoved versions can, in fact, be quite sweet, and I don't mean that as a pejorative. They can be luscious. My standard suggestion for cigar smokers is Rattray's Marlin Flake, although there are many worthy alternatives.

After the straight Virginias, the other main world of pipe tobacco is the English, or Oriental style. There are several, somewhat loosely defined, variations, the common denominator being the inclusion of latakia- a bone dry, smoky leaf that can be breathtaking in some of its manifestations. These can range from very mild (McConnell's Oriental, S. Gawith Squadron Leader) to extremely full (Dunhill's Nightcap, Esoterica Margate, etc.).

In almost all cases, it is best to avoid any "aromatic" blends, the lone exception being the wonderful, but no longer produced, Momoyama.

There are numerous reasons why pipe tobacco is better than cigars, including price, ease of aging, and the extraordinary range of flavors to be had.

This is not fair!:001_smile
I quit smoking 6 years ago, and now you guys make drool over tobacco and pipes, not to mention cigars:drool: :drool:

Well I consider my self satisfied with shaving for the moment.
All in due time...

Thanks for the reccomendations..I agree the variety in pipe tobacco is immense..
I'll try some of the ones you suggested..

srajguru said:

Thanks in advance...

Well Sanjay, you'll see it'd detractors but if you look at the photos, you'll see two tins in particular. The 1792 Flake and the Brown #4. I caution you with the 1792. It has been likened here to vetyver. That is not far from the truth. I STRONGLY suggest that you see if a local stockist has some and will let you try a sample. Highly unlikely though, it's not a hugely popular blend amongst most pipers. I like it with a couple of conditions. Do NOT try to smoke two or three bowls in a row. It just gets overbearing. DO let it sit out and air dry for a good 20-30 minutes. Every so often you'll get a tin that is dry but I've never seen one. This stuff almost has a rubber smell in the can. It's very dense, EARTHY, and stout. To be frank, I'd try the Brown #4 first if you want stout tobaccos.

I think ouch's notion of Rattray's Marlin Flake is outstanding. It's a great tobacco. I have some in bulk form and it's a real keeper. Very tasty, mild(in a tongue sensastion way), and yet has a real palate of flavours. Rattray's has some outstanding Va. flakes. Another that comes to mind for a starte is Sam Gawiths Full Virginia Flake. All natural flavour, not overbearing but no weakling in it's own right. If you'll notice, there's a tin of that in the pics too. Yes, I like Virginias!

Regards Todd

Thanks for all the reccomendations..
I ordered a few tins from Knox cigar..

I got a pipe on Friday and the local cigar shop reccomended a local 'best seller' that they mix themselves ..

My first w/e with a pipe was great- the first night-packed it too lightly- and the tobacco itself is very mild- but the smell is heavenly..

I think these threads have created a new hobby..

I'll let you know how things go next weekend..( next Sat I'm running in the Fort Worth Marine mud run- 6K- I'll be sore and primed for a bowl and a single malt)

ouch

I, too, advise againt SG's 1792 for young and old alike. It is flavored with tonquin, though it seems as though it must be flavored with the Bay of Tonkin.

You should also check my review of Brown Rope No. 4 on tobaccoreviews.com before you commit any funds to that one.:001_tt2:

Much better to stick with Gawith's Full Virginia Flake or their Best Brown Flake.

ouch said:
I, too, advise againt SG's 1792 for young and old alike. It is flavored with tonquin, though it seems as though it must be flavored with the Bay of Tonkin.

You should also check my review of Brown Rope No. 4 on tobaccoreviews.com before you commit any funds to that one.:001_tt2:

Much better to stick with Gawith's Full Virginia Flake or their Best Brown Flake.

Hey Ouch. What's your review handle on tobaccoreviews? I looked there but did not see you listed as Ouch. It must be me because these big tobaccos don't really hammer me the way they do others. Don't get me wrong, I've smoked myself half sick with 1792 before. Hence my admonition to go easy with it. I've seen 1792 described by some as dead smoked mouse in a tin. :eek: I do not concur. I would agree that it is not for the young or especially anyone new to pipes. To be honest, it's not a first choice of mine either. I am more fond of the sweeter flakes like S. Gawith's FVF, McClelland's Dark Star or 2035, Rattray's Marlin Flake, and especially the Asltey's 109. A more sublime Va. flake I can't imagine. I do hit the 1792 and brown ropes whilst watching seafaring movies like Master and Commander, Captain Blood, or Treasure Island(1989 version with Chuck Heston. All other versions pale). It just brings out the need for flintlock pistols, leather bandoliers, flagons of ale, or bottles of rum. Yeah, I'm silly that way. BTW, thanks for pointing out tobaccoreviews. Great site.

Regards, Todd

Edited: Okay, now I really feel stupid. Indeed, I recognised the name 'tobaccoreviews' but did not recognise the site. It's changed a bunch! I have a review or two there under the name Bilbo Baggins. At least one is for the Bjarne blend 'The Special One'. A bit long winded but useful. I smoked a bowl of this blend last night and was not dissapointed. Four years in the tin had mellowed it appreciably. Great stuff. I don't know if it's still available with all Syrian shortages.

ouch

Todd-
If you enjoy the stoved VA's, such as Dark Star and 2035, I have two very nice suggestions for you.
First is Butera Dark Stoved. It's made by McClelland, but is a bit more heavily stoved (if you can imagine that being possible) than the Dark Star. An interesting smoke, for sure. I have a tin of from '98 that I'll be putting up for sale as soon as I get a chance.
Second is Esoterica's Stonehaven, which is one of the most complex and nuanced stoved VA's ever produced. It smokes cool and fairly dry, and has extraordinary depth of flavor. It exudes an almost port-like quality, and a tiny bowl seems to last forever. One of my top five all time selections. I'm currently all out, otherwise I would send you a sample.

Hi Ouch. Thanks for the recommendations. I was over at knoxcigars bulletin board yesterday and realised I hadn't posted there in quite awhile. One post really caught my attention. Evidently, Dunhill has gotten a new blender for their tobaccos. For years it was Murray if I'm reading correctly. Now it's Orlick. The preliminary reviews have not been good. I can't see this as Orlick is a respected blending house. I hope Dunhill has not taken the route of cheapening product to capture a bit more of the "walk in and grab" market. There's a reason guys support the White Spot. I have never been huge into their blends but have tried a few that I liked like Early Morning Pipe. I tried My Mixture 965 and it was a bit too earthy. I wonder what some aging would have done for it? I sure hope my local favourite McClelland's doesnt' fiddle with their blends. I'd be devistated not to mention highly aggravated.

Regards, Todd

Edited: Well, never hit the send key too quickly. I went back to the forum and read through ALL of the posts on that giant thread. EIGHT pages. THere were indeed folks who didn't like the new blends but some further investigation of old posts revealed that Orlick had been making the blends for Murray of Belfast for awhile before Murray closed up. They were recieving it bulk and tinning it up. Likely what is happening is that with the recent upsurge in pipe smokers in the last few years, they're getting newer tobacco. Aging in the tin really does mellow it out. Anyway, some don't like the "new" blends and others think they're better. I myself was not too much on the Dunhills I tried but who knows? Mayhaps some investigation is warranted. Gee, more pipe tobacco to smoke? What a shame.

Top Bottom