What's new

New guy...thoughts on these products

Hey guys long time lurker and new wetshaver. I have been lurking around here for a while and decided to post. I found this site and was wondering to get some of your opinions on their shaving soap and shaving oil.

Link to the site
http://www.soapnbath.com/shaving-supplies.htm

They seem to be homemade and the sounds pretty decent and their price on shaving oil seems cheap compared to some of the higher end oils available.

Hey guys long time lurker and new wetshaver. I have been lurking around here for a while and decided to post. I found this site and was wondering to get some of your opinions on their shaving soap and shaving oil.

Link to the site
http://www.soapnbath.com/shaving-supplies.htm

They seem to be homemade and the sounds pretty decent and their price on shaving oil seems cheap compared to some of the higher end oils available.

What I would do (and in fact did do) is poke around this site for a while. Look in the reviews section for shaving soaps, creams, or whatever and see what's popular, or at least commonly used.

If you end up with question about something that gets discussed here a lot you are likely to get some good answers. Probably conflicting answers but they will at least give you something to think about!

If you start by using some obscure product you will be out on a limb all by yourself.

Part of the fun of this hobby is trying out new things, so by all means, do get things like that. I just think you will be better served by first getting a feel for the commonly used products. Get yourself grounded before venturing off.

OK, you are all now free to call me a stick-in-the mud party-pooper.

What I would do (and in fact did do) is poke around this site for a while. Look in the reviews section for shaving soaps, creams, or whatever and see what's popular, or at least commonly used.

If you end up with question about something that gets discussed here a lot you are likely to get some good answers. Probably conflicting answers but they will at least give you something to think about!

If you start by using some obscure product you will be out on a limb all by yourself.

Part of the fun of this hobby is trying out new things, so by all means, do get things like that. I just think you will be better served by first getting a feel for the commonly used products. Get yourself grounded before venturing off.

OK, you are all now free to call me a stick-in-the mud party-pooper.

+ .... Hear, hear!!! :001_smile

Sometimes you just need to go out on a limb, especially when it comes to a real small time operation. Clearly, this soapnbath.com is a small operation. Hell, the soap is $3. If they can ship it Priority, then you've probably spent all of $4.50 to try what could be a decent product. If it's good, you can then review it and help this small time operation out in these tight economic times.

Recently, I figured I would support my local shaving economy and found a woman who makes soaps, etc about 25 minutes away. She makes a shaving soap as well. I figured for $5 I didn't have much to lose. Thus far, it's ok. It might turn out to be pretty good now that I have figured out how to whip up a lather with it. If I'm going with a "name" (i.e. HBS, SCS, etc), I definitely spend time with the reviews before making a purchase.

Really, if it's that cheap, then you have nothing to lose by buying some. Come back and tell us about it and write a review of their products. That'll be cool. :cool:

If you are a new wetshaver, particularly if this will be one of your first few shaving soaps, I would definitely go with a product that already has good reviews. That way you know how a good shaving soap is supposed to perform and if it doesn't, what kind of technique issue you might have that needs to be corrected. In a month or two you could try this obscure soap and you would have a baseline for comparison.

I'd say go ahead and get it. If it's not that great for shaving you could always use it in the shower.

Sometimes you just need to go out on a limb, especially when it comes to a real small time operation. Clearly, this soapnbath.com is a small operation. Hell, the soap is $3. If they can ship it Priority, then you've probably spent all of $4.50 to try what could be a decent product. If it's good, you can then review it and help this small time operation out in these tight economic times.

Recently, I figured I would support my local shaving economy and found a woman who makes soaps, etc about 25 minutes away. She makes a shaving soap as well. I figured for $5 I didn't have much to lose. Thus far, it's ok. It might turn out to be pretty good now that I have figured out how to whip up a lather with it. If I'm going with a "name" (i.e. HBS, SCS, etc), I definitely spend time with the reviews before making a purchase.
Funny -- I support the 'name' (HBS) for the same reason -- helping to maintain the Massachusetts economy.
Well, that, and Sue is wonderfully responsive to correspondence, and her cost-effective soap kicks posterior!

I hadn't actually looked at the HBS site before. Now that I know they're from MA, I may have to part with some more of my money. :biggrin:

Top Bottom