What's new

Burma shave!

I just got a Burma-Shave gift set in the mail from eBay today - a mug, cheap bristle brush and a puck of Burma Shave. I think it was 8 bucks for the kit, complete with a gift tin.

I remember finding Burma Shave about 10 years ago, in retrospect I'm sure now it was re-labeled Williams; I distinctly remember the "citronella" scent. This one is a tan colored soap, we'll see how it turns out.

I just noticed they don't call it "Burma-Shave soap", but "Burma Shave-scented soap". Hmmm...

Worst case, I have a mug, brush and soap for my family's cabin in the woods.

That set up was my start into the world of DE Shaving. Because it was cheap I got two students to try it, and they are still on that first puck of soap.

I have a similar set a friend gave me. Ironic, the Personna Co. marketing a mug, brush and soap set, branded with the name of a co. that originally came out with some of the first brushless shave cream:rolleyes:

When you really like that soap you might think of buying what you can get because it is out of production (according to my vendor). Never tried the stuff BTW.

I own three of those sets. It's my review on Amazon.

They are basically junk but I like them anyway. I bought one on a lark then figured I'd get a couple more to use as semi-joke gifts for someone someday, probably my sons next Christmas.

Note that the brush that comes with it appears to be a down-grade from the one pictured on the tin. All three sets I have look like they were opened before shipping and I wonder if that's because the brushes got switched.

The mug's lettering comes off on your hand.

I like the tin a lot and figure that will outlast the rest of the set. I will try the soap someday.

A fun item.

Although Burma-Shave started as an alternative to soap and brush I believe they did get into shaving soap eventually.

Shaving brushes
You'll soon see 'em
On a shelf
In some museum
Burma-Shave

Turns out they were largely correct. They just didn't realize they would be on the next shelf!

Oh, yes, one of them had a Wal-Mart price tag ($8.97).

Last edited:
I got the set a few years ago at Wal Mart. I still have the brush, it sure looks bad and cheap, but the mug is pretty good. The lettering on mine stayed on and I use it to soak my brush in hot water prior to shaving.

I got the set a few years ago at Wal Mart. I still have the brush, it sure looks bad and cheap, but the mug is pretty good. The lettering on mine stayed on and I use it to soak my brush in hot water prior to shaving.

Did you ever put it in a dishwasher? I think that was my mistake.

Oh yeah, does your brush match the picture on the tin or is the handle solid red?

Last edited:
I own three of those sets. It's my review on Amazon.

Note that the brush that comes with it appears to be a down-grade from the one pictured on the tin. All three sets I have look like they were opened before shipping and I wonder if that's because the brushes got switched.

The picture showed a solid red handled brush, the kit I received had a two-tone ivory/red brush. It's all the same, but I liked the solid red one a little more. Shrug.

The picture showed a solid red handled brush, the kit I received had a two-tone ivory/red brush. It's all the same, but I liked the solid red one a little more. Shrug.

The picture on Amazon shows the solid red, but the tin itself shows a two-tone. The solid red is so bad I thought the two-tone must be better!

I've had one of those mugs for the better part of 10 years (I've never put it in the dishwasher though). I used one of the solid red handled brushes for close to that long too. It was really shedding so I got a new VDH brush that is working just fine now (yeah, I'm cheap). When I got the Burma Shave set, that was pretty much all you could find in the stores if you wanted to use a brush to make lather. It was my second brush, someone gave me the first and I used it until the knot fell out. I didn't even know badger brushes existed until I joined these boards last summer.

The picture on Amazon shows the solid red, but the tin itself shows a two-tone. The solid red is so bad I thought the two-tone must be better!

I have one of those sets. I have been using the mug and brush from it for I have no idea how long. The mug never lost any markings. The boar brush shedded for a while but hasn't lost a hair in the last 5-6 years I don't think and remained in daily use until a week ago when I finally bit the bullet and got an Omega boar.

I have one of those sets. I have been using the mug and brush from it for I have no idea how long. The mug never lost any markings. The boar brush shedded for a while but hasn't lost a hair in the last 5-6 years I don't think and remained in daily use until a week ago when I finally bit the bullet and got an Omega boar.

I took another look at the brushes in the three sets I have. The brush is a little nicer than I remembered. The brush in the one I opened before had the bristles sticking off to a slight angle and it just made it look bad. Perhaps a bit of quality control. So, I decided tonight's SOTD will include the Burma-shave soap and brush! (I shave at night.)

I took another look at the brushes in the three sets I have. The brush is a little nicer than I remembered. The brush in the one I opened before had the bristles sticking off to a slight angle and it just made it look bad. Perhaps a bit of quality control. So, I decided tonight's SOTD will include the Burma-shave soap and brush! (I shave at night.)

Tell you what - after 5-6 years, that brush feels OK! :biggrin:

I am reviving this thread because I just got one of these sets off the bay. I figured that for less than $8 I couldn't go wrong. Two questions how old is this set? Clearly it is a modern recreation of an old Burma Shave set but I'd like to know when these were made (1980's?). Also how does the soap shave? I noticed that sodium tallowate was the first ingredient which is always a good sign!:smile:

Top Bottom