What's new

Dettol Cool Lather Shaving Cream Review

I have used both dettols,cheap and good...always find them at http://www.desistores.com ,try putting "shave cream" , "dettol" ,shaving cream" etc etc in the search bar,sometimes different things pop up...great place to get creams,even with shipping it is still a value buy...

Dettol Cool is a great cream, I picked some up at one of my local Indian markets for $2.99. I love the scent, I follow it with a splash of AV Ice Sport. Dettol Fresh also performs well but I like the scent of Cool better.

This thread deserves a bump (in my view -- I'd rather do that than start a new one).

After working through two tubs of TOBS, I have turned to the tubes of Dettol Cool and Fresh that I bought last summer.
I intend to use them five times a week in aggregate, as part of my approach to working down soap/cream inventory.

There's nothing earth-shaking about them, but they're good workmanlike creams that still offer excellent value...if you can find them.

I especially like the Cool. Its menthol is not pronounced, but it does blow across your face like a gentle breeze.

I've only tried the Cool, and I concur with your assessment. It happens to pair well with Gillette ASG.
$uploadfromtaptalk1436369136487.png

Dettol cool has similar scent with gillette a/s gel?If so i suppose it can be paired with gillette cool wave asl right?

I've never tried their shaving cream, but I love Dettol anti-bac hand soap. I kept a bar at the kitchen sink for a long time. Each bar is extremely hard milled and lasts and lasts and lasts. Living alone, and using it 3 times a day, I might go through one bar a year, tops.

I also have a couple bottles of their concentrated anti-bac solution. It has sort of a Pine-Sol smell, but I don't like it as much as the aroma of the hand soap. When I had a roommate, she used it a lot to wash the floors in the kitchen and bathrooms, and the house would smell like that for days.

I just wish it were easier to find. I know I can buy the bar soap in bulk from Amazon, but I don't need a lifetime supply sitting around the house. A local supermarket chain has it, but only in one location, and their price is now $3 a bar, which is too much. My only other retail source for it is a health-food store that's 150 miles away, and they are priced at $1.50.

Based on the positive reviews so far, I'd love to get my mitts on a tube of Dettol. However the name Dettol conjures up images when I was younger of the twice-a-month scrub downs my Mom would perform on the bathtub, sink and floors of the bathrooms in our house. Dettol or Lestoil were Mom's weapons of choice. I'm sure the shave cream is far different than that noxious cleansing liquid, but...

Picked up a tube of the Cool and the Fresh at a local Indian store, excited to try. Also got a brand of aftershave called Pur, cant find any reviews of it online, or any mention, guess i will TOFTT?

Had to come back to say had 4 shaves with the Cool and 1 with the Fresh, i am highly impressed with his cream. It doesn't have residual slickness like with tallow soaps but it is still somehow very protective and the post shave is great especially for a cream. Lather builds easily, it can seem kind of airy but still does an great job protecting for a easy shave. The Fresh's scent is very industrial soapy, is not as interesting as other more known creams.

Bottom line it is a 8.5/10 cream overall with magnificent protection and post shave moisturizing and unbeatable value

The only problem is it can be very hard to find outside of India. Where I live there are many Indian-owned grocery stores but other than Vicco Turmeric, none of them seem to carry any shaving creams. On the other hand a lot of these stores do carry the Dettol bath soaps.

Got the cool as a swap and my conclusions is that you don't need to waste your time on this product.

A £1.6 tube of Ingram will give you far more menthol and far more slickness.

The Menthol hit on this one is fairly pathetic (and I don't like too much Menthol in my lather), it's hardly scented as far as my nose concerns.

Got the cool as a swap and my conclusions is that you don't need to waste your time on this product.

A £1.6 tube of Ingram will give you far more menthol and far more slickness.

The Menthol hit on this one is fairly pathetic (and I don't like too much Menthol in my lather), it's hardly scented as far as my nose concerns.

It's not a heavy-duty menthol effect like its "country man" the Godrej Menthol Mist, but it's cooling enough.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I came across it after trying some this morning...

Not a bad cream - I got mine off eBay for about 10 CAD and the lather is nice and smooth, decent protection, but as far as menthol and scent goes this can't beat Ingram in my books.

Good if you can find it local, it's a non-offensive, good all around performer but isn't the best in scent, menthol kick or slickness. Nice regular, everyday easy going cream.

I agree that Dettol works pretty well and is nice enough shaving experience.

My complaint is with the tube or packaging. The last two tubes of Dettol I bought cracked near the neck while packed tightly in a dopp kit and inside airplane luggage. It was as if there was too much reinforcement at the screwed cap, which allowed weight (luggage piled up) sitting on top to break open the tube just behind the cap. Such that a change in rigidity along the spine of the tube meant that the tube could be easily cracked open at that weak spot with added pressure. At least that was my experience. Trying to use a dried up cream which has become more like a soap or tossing it out was not the ideal.

I agree that Dettol works pretty well and is nice enough shaving experience.

My complaint is with the tube or packaging. The last two tubes of Dettol I bought cracked near the neck while packed tightly in a dopp kit and inside airplane luggage. It was as if there was too much reinforcement at the screwed cap, which allowed weight (luggage piled up) sitting on top to break open the tube just behind the cap. Such that a change in rigidity along the spine of the tube meant that the tube could be easily cracked open at that weak spot with added pressure. At least that was my experience. Trying to use a dried up cream which has become more like a soap or tossing it out was not the ideal.

Understandable - I travel with a soap stick or a mini aerosol of Proraso so hopefully I can avoid that!

An update, Dettol Cool seems to work a lot better with cold water and a synthetic brush in my experience (hard water).

Have you tried the Dettol Fresh?

Top Bottom