What's new

Muhle-Pinsel R89 (2009) - is this it?

Sorry to say, Mike & Robert, neither of those are the new models. They are both R89 & R41 previous generation respectively (at least by the pictures).
The one US place I've seen the new R89 is in smallflower dot com ( I seem to find a lot of stuff there), right now the more expensive of the Traditional Muehle they have (EDIT: here). I have not found the R41 (now chrome open comb) anywhere in the US yet.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Ah, this is getting confusing as I do not have a logo or model number on the razor... I guess writing to Muhle would be the next step.

Sorry to say, Mike & Robert, neither of those are the new models. They are both R89 & R41 previous generation respectively (at least by the pictures).
The one US place I've seen the new R89 is in smallflower dot com ( I seem to find a lot of stuff there), right now the more expensive of the Traditional Muehle they have (EDIT: here). I have not found the R41 (now chrome open comb) anywhere in the US yet.

so basically the new ones have the knurled handle ..right?

Exactly. That's what I said above. I bought the R41 specifically because it was not the new model. I wanted the nickel plate instead of the chrome.

so basically the new ones have the knurled handle ..right?

Correct, but not only that. The old R41 and R89 had the same open comb head with the R41 nickel and the R89 chrome. The handles are somewhat different too.

The only open comb now, of course, is the R41; comes in chrome with the knurled handle like you mention and what has been reported a 'revised' Merkur head. Other than the site pictures, I was hoping someone had posted pictures of theirs by now :frown:.

Exactly. That's what I said above. I bought the R41 specifically because it was not the new model. I wanted the nickel plate instead of the chrome.

Ahh! gotcha, current as in the new one is not available in the US yet.

I have yet to find the new generation around :mad3:.

I will post pictures soon. I was offered a trade from a kind gentleman in the UK. For now, here is one from their website:
proxy.php

The old style R89 and the old style R41 I believe were the same razor with different plating, chrome and nickel respectively. The new R89 is close combed and the new R41 is open combed and are both chrome plated. The new R41 has a different head than the old R41. Someone correct me if wrong. I don't know the availability of either of the old style razors. I would like to someday get an old style R89 to use.

Maybe this one ? Is this the famous old super-aggressive Muehle razor ?

That's the older open comb nickel plate. Not very aggressive. Head designed much like the old-style Gillette open combs. Quite similar to the Merkur 41C. Cap presses blade flush to the guard so there is no gap between blade and guard, except for very small gap because exposed part of blade remains flat and doesn't follow the slight curve of the guard.

In the attached image the razor on the left shows what I am describing above. That razor is not the Muehle (it is actually a Gillette old-style open comb) but the Muehle R41 is pretty much the same. The razor on the right is a Gillette new-style open comb, which can be seen to be more aggressive because the design raises the blade just a bit above the guard.

Top Bottom