What's new

Newbie with str8 razor question

I have noticed that it is difficult to find brand new str8 razors. In my home town I was only able to find 2. I know DOVO still makes them but it seems that when some place runs out of them it isn't always easy to order another one.
What companys still make str8 razors and are their production numbers really that small? Is it the norm to buy str8 razors at flea markets and then have them restored. It appears that locally that's what I might have to do.
Last of all if I must buy one of the flea market older str8s what measures should I take to make sure that the blade s free from any potentially harmful germs and bacteria from the "unknown" previous owner, prior to using for shaving.
Thank you in advance for any info.

[...]
what companys still make str8 razors and are their production numbers really that small?
The only full size companys are DOVO and Thiers Issard. Their production however are limited to amount of razors being sold. And overall I don't think the demand is increasing. FWIW nobody knows the exact number but owners of several straiht razors are very rare. It's just that shaving forums apparently attract many people but their number is really small compared to cartridge mainstream 'madness'.
is it the norm to buy str8 razors at flea markets and then have them restored. It appears that locally that's what i might have to do.
Again, I don't know the numbers but I think most statistically most razors are being sold online. Though you can have GREAT deals at flea markets and even antique stores. The advantage: you can look at em, grip em, taste em.
last of all if i must buy one of the flea market older str8s what measures should i take to make sure that the blade s free from any potentially harmful germs and bacteria from the "unknown" previous owner, prior to using for shaving.
Thank you in advance for any info.
Some of us think scrubbing bubbles and a following run on the hones is enough to get rid of any germ. I kind of restored a razor myself (dish wash, sanding, disinfecting, polishing, honing) and used isopropyl alcohol. The straight razor is by all means the sharpest I've tried although it's a vintage one which was literally buried in rust.
BTW you should take a look in the B/S/T, too. Good straights, fair deals.

Top Bottom