What's new

Moving up. What's next?

So, I love my new shaving routine, and see myself putting some more money into this hobby.. (Already have..damn you RAD..)

I have the EJ BBB, medium, 21mm knot. I'm very happy with it, and I bought it after much research, since it's considered a good starting brush, and decent for both soaps and creams. But..:

Turns out I'm a cream guy, and I think I will like a softer and bigger brush. I find the handle on the EJ a bit to small, and would like a sturdier one. Both longer, and heavier.

I'm looking for tips, hints and outright suggestions. Need any more info on my preferances? Oh, and the pricerange should be about $90-120.

Thank you in advance B&B!

I upgraded to a Shavemac Silvertip when I was in the exact same boat as you... and ended up being extremely pleased with my choice. I went with the 410 Series in a 28mm, but perhaps from your post something in the long-handle line would suit you better. I find that its particularly great with creams and I believe even their higher-end brushes fit within your price range.

Check out Shavemac. You can get several knot sizes and the Finest or Silvertip hair should be very soft. I personally like the 23mm size knot. It has a nice, comfortable handle and works very well with soaps or creams.

The choir has spoken. Shavemac for my SC's. Now enter the many nights of trolling the webpage to decide which one.. I do like the custom ones, but will probably appreciate a 26mm more... Choices everywhere! Aaah! :confused:

Shavemac's are nice but you can't beat the Rooney 3/1...This brush is awesome...

I use my Rooney 3/1 for soaps and my Shavemac 501 for creams. I really like both. A couple of days ago I tried my Shavemac with soap and it worked wonderfully. I am primarily a soap user and I want to buy a third brush. I think I will get a Rooney 2/1 in imitation horn.

I suppose I need to try my 3/1 out on cream now.

DL

I use my Rooney 3/1 for soaps and my Shavemac 501 for creams. I really like both. A couple of days ago I tried my Shavemac with soap and it worked wonderfully. I am primarily a soap user and I want to buy a third brush. I think I will get a Rooney 2/1 in imitation horn.

I suppose I need to try my 3/1 out on cream now.

DL

To me the 3/1 is a great all around brush. I am a soap guy but when I do feel the urge for the cream I still reach for my 3/1

To me the 3/1 is a great all around brush. I am a soap guy but when I do feel the urge for the cream I still reach for my 3/1

The 3/1 is currently all I use. Including the rarer occasions when I opt for cream (like this morning).

Bottom line -- for me, it's a terrific face-lathering brush, for soap or cream, tho' I think it's more optimal for soap.

If I face-lathered with cream most of the time, I think I might want a slightly narrower knot (say, 18) and perhaps a slightly longer loft (say 52-55).

Well, it's a cream brush I'm after. Not a soap brush, or an allround brush. Seeing many of you mention Rooney, then start talking about soaps, I should go look at a Shavemac? :wink: Oh, and I'm also more of a bowllatherer, then a facelatherer.

Well, it's a cream brush I'm after. Not a soap brush, or an allround brush. Seeing many of you mention Rooney, then start talking about soaps, I should go look at a Shavemac? :wink: Oh, and I'm also more of a bowllatherer, then a facelatherer.
If I was a cream-loving bowl-latherer, then I would not have sold my QED Select 2420.

As it happens, I'm a soap-sniffing face-latherer, and the Rooney 3/1 is my go-to brush.

All other things being equal (and they never are), you probably want ~55mm loft, and a 20-22mm knot. (Perhaps counter-intuitive, but the QED 2420, with its 56mm loft, is denser and larger than your BBB.) Or a 24mm knot with ~50mm loft.

The Savile Row line is worth a serious look - nice soft but springy bristles quite similar to Shavemacs. If you are willing to raise your budget about 30% a Rooney Heritage Alibaba or a Simpson PJ2 best are good cream brushes.

The Savile Row line is worth a serious look - nice soft but springy bristles quite similar to Shavemacs. If you are willing to raise your budget about 30% a Rooney Heritage Alibaba or a Simpson PJ2 best are good cream brushes.
Which Alibaba? I'd have thought that the Alibaba Size 1/small would be optimal for soap.

Top Bottom