What's new

Face Towel

A question to those of you who soak with a hot face towel.
Have you every tried anything other than a terry cloth towel, ex the fleecy camp towel material?

I'm just trying to figure out what will retain the hot water the best, mine tend to get cool after less than a minute.

Thanks

A question to those of you who soak with a hot face towel.
Have you every tried anything other than a terry cloth towel, ex the fleecy camp towel material?

I'm just trying to figure out what will retain the hot water the best, mine tend to get cool after less than a minute.

Thanks

To be honest, the difference between regular wash cloths and terry cloths are minute (IMHO.) I bought a couple of shaving towels but they really aren't that special enough to justify their large size. I just use a regular wash cloth.

Are you asking this in reference to Kyle's prep?

yeah, I am.

The cloth I was considering other than terry is something like this.

I see the 'eshaving' towel at WCS, is that really any different from a regular hand towel? More loft?

i just use wash towels in the microwave.

usually do one, put lather on, strop razor, put on another towel, then wipe off and get down to business.

Get something like a bar towel size. Something that you can wrap around your neck so that you can tuck it in so that you can wear it while stropping and mixing lather (saves time). You want a towel that is thick enough to hold quite a bit of water so that it stays hot for a while. When I get it out of the microwave I wring the ends and put cold water on it so that it is not so hot on the back of my neck.

Later,
Richard

I've been using a synthetic chamois towel called "The Absorber." You can find it in most auto-parts stores, in the aisle with buckets and brushes and wax and other cleaners. Turtle Wax makes a similar product, as do other manufacturers.

You can wring it out easily, and it stays slightly damp in between uses. If it dries out totally, no problem. Its machine washable, but don't use fabric-softener on it, and don't put it in the dryer.

It has a rubbery feel to it, more like a sponge than a cloth. But it holds a lot of water. A LOT of water. I hold it against my face while I'm in the shower, and rub it in a circular motion to raise up the whiskers.

As for heat retention, I haven't found anything that will keep warm for very long. My solution is just to reload it with hot water every ten seconds or so, and just keep re-applying for 30 seconds or a minute or however long it feels like my beard needs that day.

What about the Shamwow? :001_rolle

The shamwow would suck the moisture right out of your pores.

The shamwow is serious business

proxy.php

When I'm doing a leisure (weekend) shave with "full Kyle prep", I pour a kettle of boiling water into the basin and let the towel soak as I'm taking a shower. I may have to cool it off a bit before applying, but the fingers are more sensitive than the face. It stays hotter longer on the face. And man, it feels great.

Edit: I use a hand towel; it's long enough to wrap around.

Last edited:
It pays for itself!

Back to the OP: Sally's has nicely sized towels for a decent price. Wet and nuke.

I've been using the dish towels in the microwave. I lay on the floor and put them over my neck and face. While there is the likelihood of falling back asleep, that only lasts while the towel is warm.

How long in the microwave? As it is now, I'm heating 2 cups od water in the microwave, for 5 minutes. However, it is too hot for my face. Just use it for the brush and tsap water for the towel. Thanks in advance.

How long in the microwave? As it is now, I'm heating 2 cups od water in the microwave, for 5 minutes. However, it is too hot for my face. Just use it for the brush and tsap water for the towel. Thanks in advance.

I start with hot tap water to begin soaking my brush, so I start out with about 25-30 seconds. If that isn't hot enough, I'll zap it for about another 20 seconds. In my oven the bottom side of the towel gets the hottest, so you may not want to go by just feeling how hot is the top part.

Top Bottom