What's new

First couple week's results -- comments appreciated

Well, I've finally admitted I'm hooked -- this stuff is wonderful. I find myself actually looking forward to getting up in the morning. What a great way to start each day.

It's been about 2 weeks now since I started the whole wetshaving experience. I had to take a few days off after the first few days, to let my neck heal after an initial couple days of bad irritation, and there's still a couple small spots that have to adjust, but overall here's what I've learned so far:

1. No pressure means "NO PRESSURE." It's almost like merely guiding (or gliding) the razor across my face, and not putting forth any effort to actually "cut" the beard; the weight of the razor will do that. I've yet to try the Feather blade (saving that for when I get my angle/pressure solidified) but I must say I'm proud of myself for making good progress on both proper angle and proper pressure.

2. It's harder than I thought to make proper lather. I'm experimenting with lots of various cream samples and shave soaps, and soaps are more difficult to get the right soap:water ration than a cream. And someone on here once commented that the difference between a properly mixed result and too much water is literally a couple drops at times -- that's been my experience as well. It's way too easy to use too much water, and I think the biggest lesson I still need to learn is how to make a nice thick, lubricated lather, regardless of whether I use a soap or a cream to start out. Much more than not, my lather is consistently on the "wet" side I think, and I can still see skin through the lather when it's applied and worked into my face -- I can't seem to get a level of lather on my face that you can't see through. I'm not looking to get all Santa Claus looking, with foam down to my chest, but shouldn't you only be able to see lather on the areas to be shaved, and no sign of skin underneath? I gotta work on my technique for lathering -- the Mantic/youtube videos definitely helped me realize my lather is probably too wet. I'm going to try the alternate method for making lather with a cream, found here:

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7130

tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

3. I have a few brushes now (C&E Best Badger, Vulfix #2198 Pure, and just got a Savile Row 3124 Silvertip, used it for the first time this morning), and the SR is definitely the softest of the lot. I like all 3, and have tried all 3 with various results, on both soaps and creams. I'm finding that you really can use any brush (traditionally "soft" vs. "stiff") with any cream or soap and yield great results -- I can tell I'm close with any soap I've tried (Classicshaving.com Sandalwood, Proraso, Tabac, QED Bay Rum) or cream (Taylor's Almond, Lavender, Avacado, T&H Ultimate Comfort, lots of different samples) -- so I know it's not the brush. Speaking of the SR 3124, after I was done shaving this morning, I was cleaning out the brush, and did the standard "gentle squeeze to get as much lather out as possible" and I was amazed that even after shaving, there was still almost pure water (hadn't been mixed with the Tabac soap) in the way-down-deep depths of the brush! Here I am making my lather too wet, and I didn't even use all the water that little 3124 trooper is capable of holding! I was amazed.

Anyway, just wanted to give you guys a stream-of-consciousness post from a newbie, and my own personal results so far in this journey. You gents are all great -- I've honestly never met a more welcoming and cordial group of people. You should all be proud of the little corner you've created for those of us interested in learning about wetshaving.

Thanks to all, and any comments/criticsm is greatly appreciated!!

Congrats on your success! My morning shave is the main thing that drags me out of bed in the morning nowadays too. It sounds like you've got everything down, as for comments, I'd just say stick with the "gradually add water a few drops at a time between swirls" method for lathering, to get the right cream-to-water ratio. I also find it easier to shake out as close to all of the water in the brush after I rinse and warm it, and add the aforementioned water drops directly to my lathering bowl, so the brush only ends up holding lather and doesn't have any residual water leftover. That's just what works for me, but I'm not really a soap guy either.

Hey Baloosh! What's your name friend?

Props to you on your new adventure. Sounds like you got a good handle on things. Heck, you have a great handle just with the brushes you've got working!

Welcome aboard. Enjoy the voyage and remember that drinks are being served on the lido deck. :biggrin:

Pump the brush a few times as you make the lather in order to work the lather into the brush and the brush's charge of water into the lather.

Sounds like you're off to a good start.

My stream of consciousness is similar to yours. At Bengals half time in a bit, I'm heading to Target for a tube of this Proraso that everyone raves about. I believe that Leisureguy suggested placing a dollop in your mixing mug and swirling with your brush after you've loaded the brush with the soap. I guess it makes a soap/cream mixture and aids in building a better lather.

We'll see.

If you enjoy a metholated cooling effect while shaving, I highly recommend the Proraso. I used it for the first time today and I had an excellent shave.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

jduffy, you asked my what my friend's name was -- I'm sorry, what friend? I'm slow sometimes.. forgive me.

Just got back from vacation and the family was all like, "What's taking you so long in the bathroom all of a sudden?" This time I wasn't embarassed, like I was when I was 13, to reveal to them the truth... :biggrin:

I've managed to score quite a bit of samples from both the generosity on these boards, as well as hitting up the vendors' email addresses in the thread about samples.

I'm starting to become pulled in different directions regarding soaps and creams. Creams are easier to lather (for me at least so far) but I much prefer the actual process of making lather from soaps. What to do, what to do? Guess I'll have to keep doing both and switching it up!!!

Top Bottom