What's new

Favorite Type of Cream/Soap

Just wanted a general overview of what everyone likes and whats any good. Personally I use Art of Shaving soaps,creams,oils,asb's, I also love proraso and Crabtree and Evelyns Sandelwood Shaving Cream, another great cream is the E-Shave white tea cream.

Feel free to post your favorite creams =)

WARS, for the price, it can't be beat. Great lathering, very slick and I love the scent.

Frasier's - especially the Oriental Spice cream. Same as above

I have other creams, but those are the ones that I will consistently go for.

After my soap conversion, I still like the following creams:

Speick
Proraso
Florena Sensitive
Nivea Raiser Creme
TBS old
TBS new
Tryhon Permafrost
TOBS St. James

That's about it for now.

Soaps: I like:

P.160
Cella
Tabac
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Monsavon
MB Bergamot
MB Autumn Afternoon
TGQ Highlander
TGQ Lemon Verbena

Many more I can't remember

ATM, my goto stuff is still DR. Harris Arlington, but that might change as I have some boutique small-scale stuff incoming (TSD, GG, SB...)

Strictly speaking of creams (in tubs) and with no regard to scent the GFT's are amazing. I'm also a big fan of Proraso both Red and Green.

I have always used gels. I currently use King of Shaves AlphaGel shaving gel. It goes on very easily, it's very lubricated and leaves my skin feeling nice after a shave.

Not sure that I am ready to go the DE route, but I plan on getting a brush and trying some different creams.

Proraso cream looks like a popular choice. Can that be bought at a store locally? If so, where? There is an Art of Shaving store in a local mall and I plan on trying that as well.

Any other suggestions on creams that can be bought locally? A brushless cream would be nice too. I don't like heavy scents. Mild scents are ok.

Thanks!

If you have a Bath and Body Works near you take a look there. They sell C.O. Bigelow (Green Tube) in two sizes. That is actually the exact same thing as Proraso Green.

King of Shaves products aren't too bad, I have the Ultra Shaving Gel which is pretty good. As far as I can tell Proraso is only available online, Mantic ( the shaving Guru) once said they were available at target, in the bath in spa section, personally I haven't found it in my target but give it a try, if that failed obviously the internet proraso has a website, and you can all get it at classic shaving. Personally I use the one in the green tube, the one with Eucalyptus it gives a cooling effect when you splash cold water on your face. As for AOS hands down it is one of my favorite creams and soaps of all time. They have four different ones:

Hypoallergenic Non Scented for all skin types pref. for people who are allergic to some ingredients found in scented creams
Lavender (The one I use) normally for sensitive skin but used for all as well
Lemon For all skin types but mostly oily skin
Sandelwood for all skin types but mostly for dry skin

the creams come in tubes and tubs, i prefer the tubs cause they last longer, but tubes are less expensive and if you havent tried it before you wouldnt want to start off with a whole tub specially if you don't like it

They arent ridiculously strong scented but they smell good

Another cream worth trying is from E-Shave

So still use the mach 3 for shaving?

I sometimes still enjoy getting a shave by a Mach 3, Personally a down pass followed by an ATG pass give you a great shave I wouldn't recommend that with KOS products but with creams and a brush it does a great job.

If you have more questions on that visit Mantic on youtube he has basically an instructional video series for everything, from preparing the face, shaving with multiblade mach 3, d/e and more, he's basically the internet guru of traditional wetshaving.

Hope this helps brother =)

I have always used gels. I currently use King of Shaves AlphaGel shaving gel. It goes on very easily, it's very lubricated and leaves my skin feeling nice after a shave.

Not sure that I am ready to go the DE route, but I plan on getting a brush and trying some different creams.

Proraso cream looks like a popular choice. Can that be bought at a store locally? If so, where? There is an Art of Shaving store in a local mall and I plan on trying that as well.

Any other suggestions on creams that can be bought locally? A brushless cream would be nice too. I don't like heavy scents. Mild scents are ok.

Thanks!

O another place you could go is Crabtree and Evelyn, though I hear they are discontinuing they shaving tub/jar line, they make some great brushes as well, and of course the AOS has pretty good brushes, depends on how much your willing to spend in the end =)

Favorite Creams - LaToja, Em's Place (any combo she has), Arko, E Shave
Favorite Soaps - Mama Bears, D.R. Harris, James of Bond St., Erasmic

Joshua, thanks for the info.

I am definitely going to get a brush and AOS Lavender cream. Not sure if I need the pre-shave oil and after-shave balm. I scrub my face in the shower with soap and use a good moisturizing cream after I shave. AOS sells a starter kit for $25 that I may try out. I did hear that the brush in the starter kit is not that great though.

PS: I am now using a Gillette Fusion. I had a sample razor with two blades. I get a great shave...much smoother, closer and more comfortable than any other razor that I have used. They are expensive (atleast $5-7 more for an 8 pack of Mach 3s), so I need to find a place that sells them at a reasonable price.

King of Shaves products aren't too bad, I have the Ultra Shaving Gel which is pretty good. As far as I can tell Proraso is only available online, Mantic ( the shaving Guru) once said they were available at target, in the bath in spa section, personally I haven't found it in my target but give it a try, if that failed obviously the internet proraso has a website, and you can all get it at classic shaving. Personally I use the one in the green tube, the one with Eucalyptus it gives a cooling effect when you splash cold water on your face. As for AOS hands down it is one of my favorite creams and soaps of all time. They have four different ones:

Hypoallergenic Non Scented for all skin types pref. for people who are allergic to some ingredients found in scented creams
Lavender (The one I use) normally for sensitive skin but used for all as well
Lemon For all skin types but mostly oily skin
Sandelwood for all skin types but mostly for dry skin

the creams come in tubes and tubs, i prefer the tubs cause they last longer, but tubes are less expensive and if you havent tried it before you wouldnt want to start off with a whole tub specially if you don't like it

They arent ridiculously strong scented but they smell good

Another cream worth trying is from E-Shave

So still use the mach 3 for shaving?

I sometimes still enjoy getting a shave by a Mach 3, Personally a down pass followed by an ATG pass give you a great shave I wouldn't recommend that with KOS products but with creams and a brush it does a great job.

If you have more questions on that visit Mantic on youtube he has basically an instructional video series for everything, from preparing the face, shaving with multiblade mach 3, d/e and more, he's basically the internet guru of traditional wetshaving.

Hope this helps brother =)

PS: I am now using a Gillette Fusion. I had a sample razor with two blades. I get a great shave...much smoother, closer and more comfortable than any other razor that I have used. They are expensive (atleast $5-7 more for an 8 pack of Mach 3s), so I need to find a place that sells them at a reasonable price.

Good luck with that! For the price of a pack of Fusion blades you could buy a nice DE razor and a ton of good blades!

Walds11: Rock on brother, fusion isnt a bad razor, though I have to agree that a d/e is better, when you learn the correct technique theres nothing like it, personally i recommend either a Merkur HD ( which I dont own but is a great razor) or a Merkur Progress ( which i do own and love) I love all my razors, catridge ones too, but the d/e's i mentioned hear are cheap but good quality, once again if you havent had the chance mantic's videos are fantastic, cant speak highly enough of them

btw I do enjoy the lavender pre shave and asb. they are nice though may take an extra minute while shaving, I normally only use my AOS ps,sc,and asb with my gillette Mach 3 hybrid and AOS silvertip, like i said usually just shaving down and then relathering (which is important always relather) and then atg, mantic normally does 3 to four passes with a cartridge razor, i personally havent needed to do that much, just do what works for you and you'll be fine, if you want you can check out my laboratory on my page under the albums =)

Joshua, I am going to get some AOS Lavendar and C.O. Bigelow at the local Bath and Body Works. That should get me started.

Oh, and I can't forget a brush. Any recommendations?

If you don't want to spend a lot of money for a brush and want really good quality, i suggest a Omega Boar professional brush for around $13. If you want to spend some more (around $50 or so), get a Rooney 3/1 in Pure or best badger.

Top Bottom