What's new

Favorite Martini Gin

Have any of you guys over the pond tried Plymouth Navy Strength Gin? It is 100 degrees (english) Proof which is 57%:thumbup: Which is apparently the strength that the Royal Navy insisted upon because at strength it could be poured onto gunpowder and it would still ignite. I learnt all about Plymouth Gin whilst visiting the city a couple of years ago and took the distillery tour which was very educational. They also have a website which can be found at plymouthgin.com.
Navy Strength Gin is now my favourite gin:biggrin:
Phil

I was practically weaned on Gilbey's, the gin in those frosted square glass bottles. It was the only gin that my parents used. My brother and I used to like to steal the olives out of their martinis.

The olive at the end is my favorite part! :thumbup:

Tim

Love my Boodles martini's................but keep in mind, the martini was invented so that men would have a civilized way of drinking gin straight up.

I know I've posted this before, but it might be worth mentioning again. For something a little different, try a Hendrick's Gin & Tonic with a slice or spear of fresh cucumber. Very tasty!

I am not a big fan of the over-dry martini. 3:1 is my preferred ratio. And a dash of orange bitters is de rigeur.
Of course with this ratio, the vermouth is as important as the gin. Vya or Noilly Prat.
The gin of choice right now is Junipeiro. However today, I bought a bottle of Bluecoat.
I just had a sip, and it's on the citrusy end of the scale. Very pleasant.

I've been drinking Boodles Gin Martini's lately. I've had them neat and with vermouth, I like mine with vermouth, not a heavy ratio, but I like the vermouth added. I've also had some with Plymouth that has been tasty as well.

The Plymouth Navy Strength is good, but IMO it's too strong for a martini, keep it with a G&T.

I still think that someone could make money marketing martini soaked olives.

I agree...I have thought of buying the vermouth soaked ones...draining the vermouth and filling the jar up with Gin. Let them marinate for a while and enjoy. I guess I could just buy the regular ones and do the same...

Alright. With Timmy giving the Boodles top billing for the month, I thought I would resuscitate this thread. While we are finally seeing the summer sun start its waning toward fall, it is still bloody well hot here. 100F + the last few days. Heck, we were hotter than Phoenix today. Yuck.

Anyroad, I made up a few gin Rickey's and G&T today and rediscovered that this is really my go to drink for most of the year. I love my ales. Big and fruity with lots of malt character and all that. But when the occasion calls for a truly refreshing summer drink, not much beats the libations made with gin. That I have started using fresh squeezed lime juice has probably had more influence than anything else. It just makes the melange of gin and tonic or club soda come together in real harmony. My big issue is that I just don't know gin brands and styles that well. I mean, they are all neutral grain spirit and get their flavours from the adjuncts that are added. Is this correct? Could someone offer up an opinion and maybe a short list of the best brands and what they perceive as the character of each. Maybe a list that includes the Bombay's, Gordons, Tangeuray, Boodles, Beefeater, and maybe one or two others. Mostly just stuff like "this one is citrus predominant" or something like that. How about it fellas. Help educate a fellow B&B'er. The only gin I have bought so far is Bombay Sapphire.

Regards, Todd

BTW, I grabbed this old martini thread to try and kill two birds with one stone. Hope it works.

btw, anyone else here who think people who ask for blue cheese insted of onion or olives in their martini have serious mental issues ?

S

sullivanpm

1. Hell no. I drink Gin martinis, never vodka. And I'm not talking about shaking until my arms get tired, I'm talking more like just inverting the shaker a couple times. Shaking makes the drink colder, which I happen to prefer.
2. You were perfectly clear. If you like neat gin, that'd be awesome. Again, not for me. I like just a little more than the ghost of vermouth, but much less than the typical 4:1-6:1 ratio you'll see in most martini "recipes."
I drink Gordon's (What can I say I am cheap)
Usually 8:1 ration the 1 being a cap full of Vermouth.:biggrin:

Made very dirty, shaken and "up"
Gin: Tanqueray 10
Vermouth 1/6 ratio: Lillet Blanc -- I tried it trying to make James Bond's "Vesper" (which are very good, btw.) Now I like Lillet better than standard vermouth.

And for GOD'S SAKE, never put in TWO olives! Olives should be odd numbers! 1 or 3, never TWO! (It amazes me how many bartenders don't know this small bit of Martini tradition.)

And you people who just wave the vermouth bottle around on top of the Martini glass -- sorry, you're not making a Martini, you're making a glass of Gin. (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

I love martinis and have been making them for years. I always seem to come back to Tanqueray.

Same here. If I could only have one gin it would be Tanqueray. Thankfully that is not the case and I do like a bit of variety now and then.

Hendricks with a Cucumber is a wonderful seasonal Martini for me, screams summer and fresh Cukes minutes from the garden. :cool:

Beefeater is more of a winter Martini and its spicy profile pairs wonderfully with Jalapeno stuffed olives.

Plymouth makes light and tasty Martini's that would be my second choice desert island gin.

Top Bottom