What's new

Favorite Martini Gin

BlackLabelBrewer said:
Svedka's my vote on vodka. Rated comparable to Grey Goose, but at half the price.

I like Svekta quite a bit, and have a small hoard of Russian Standard brought back from Moscow for me by a friend, in addition to my usual Stoli. I just can't drink Vodka in a martini though... its a major hang-up that I have. Only Gin.

It was published in the newspapers over here recently how the Queen Mum liked her martini to be mixed...

The gin would be poured into the glass, then vermouth poured into the bottle top held over the gin. The vermouth was to be waved over the gin and then discarded. She said that the gin should take the slightest essence of vermouth and no more. I think she liked a neat gin.

I thought that she preferred Tanq, but a good friend told me that he thought she drank Gordons.

Plymouth is a nice gin though.

Most imortantly, cheers!

doctorsimon said:
It was published in the newspapers over here recently how the Queen Mum liked her martini to be mixed...

The gin would be poured into the glass, then vermouth poured into the bottle top held over the gin. The vermouth was to be waved over the gin and then discarded. She said that the gin should take the slightest essence of vermouth and no more. I think she liked a neat gin.

I thought that she preferred Tanq, but a good friend told me that he thought she drank Gordons.

Plymouth is a nice gin though.

Most imortantly, cheers!

I splash in some Vermouth over the ice, shake quickly, and empty before putting in the gin. Same effect... just lightly coats the ice with Vermouth. :biggrin1:

I like Bombay Sapphire if I want a sweeter martini and regular Beefeater if I want it drier. I usually have a slight preference for the Beefeater.

I also like a normal amount of vermouth (6:1 to 4:1 ratio) and a couple of pimiento-stuffed olives.

Tim

You could also try Magellan Gin. Only gin that I have ever served that was blue. I happen to like Beefeater so the Magellan tastes a little weak to me, but not a bad gin for the price.

castlecraver said:
I splash in some Vermouth over the ice, shake quickly, and empty before putting in the gin. Same effect... just lightly coats the ice with Vermouth. :biggrin1:

I'm not a big martini drinker but...

1. Shaking. Who are you, James Bond? I thought shaking diluted the drink more, which is *BAD*.
2. Maybe I wasn't clear, the vermouth never touched the drink it was only held over it briefly. Maybe a stray fume slipped out and dived in. Maybe not.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My friend likes his very dry. He says there's a liquor store that sells vermouth about a mile from his house, and that's close enough.

doctorsimon said:
I'm not a big martini drinker but...

1. Shaking. Who are you, James Bond? I thought shaking diluted the drink more, which is *BAD*.
2. Maybe I wasn't clear, the vermouth never touched the drink it was only held over it briefly. Maybe a stray fume slipped out and dived in. Maybe not.

1. Hell no. I drink Gin martinis, never vodka. And I'm not talking about shaking until my arms get tired, I'm talking more like just inverting the shaker a couple times. Shaking makes the drink colder, which I happen to prefer.
2. You were perfectly clear. If you like neat gin, that'd be awesome. Again, not for me. I like just a little more than the ghost of vermouth, but much less than the typical 4:1-6:1 ratio you'll see in most martini "recipes."

castlecraver said:
I like Svekta quite a bit, and have a small hoard of Russian Standard brought back from Moscow for me by a friend, in addition to my usual Stoli. I just can't drink Vodka in a martini though... its a major hang-up that I have. Only Gin.

Rightly so.

Tim

I personally really like Boodles gin. I did a little comparison with tanq, bobmbay saphire, and boodles and I preferred boodles over all 3...which surprised me as I've always heard sapphire was the best. I will have to try hendricks next.

I don't know how widely available it is outside the San Francisco Bay Area, but my favorite is Junipero Gin, made by the same guys that make Anchor Steam Beer. They started making small batches gin and rye whisky a few years ago. To me, the Junipero has a unique peppery taste that I love, straight or in a martini.

--Steven

I was practically weaned on Gilbey's, the gin in those frosted square glass bottles. It was the only gin that my parents used. My brother and I used to like to steal the olives out of their martinis.

Top Bottom