What's new

bismark dovo or pearlex dovo 5/8?

What you really seem to want to know is whether you should get a stainless or carbon blade.

There has been some discussion on this thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2644&highlight=carbon

I also expect you would get some more advice from the folks at Straightrazorplace.com.

My limited understanding is that both make fine razors and that its a matter of preference as to which material is easier to sharpen or is sharper. Obviously, the main benefit to a stainless razor is that it is much less prone to rust.

Hope this helps.

The point about the relative ease of sharpening a carbon steel versus a stainless blade is well taken, as is the degree that a stainless blade holds its edge longer. However, I feel that with proper care, the issue of rusting in normal use is overstated.

There are a number of Dovo razors referred to as "Bismarck". I am fairly certain that all are carbon steel. Only one is in 5/8, all the rest are 6/8. The Perlex can be found in both carbon steel and stainless in the 5/8. So be sure that what you are looking at says "Dovo-Inox" on the blade.

As to which you would prefer, if you are like me, you will eventually have to have them both. So just get one now and get the other one for Christmas.

I have to agree, only buy them both now. Save on shipping and grow the family. You know you will anyway.....Embrace the RAD and work with it. Seriously they are both fine razors to own.

-Scott-

I agree with Scott, if you can afford them.
I have the Dovo Bismarck and love it, but I'm sure the Pearlex is nice as well.
Straight razors breed in the dark anyway. You'll start with 2 and end up with 102. They are like rabbits.
John P.

I've got both types, and even living here in houston rusting hasn't been a problem with the carbon blades. Just wipe it off instead of rinsing (which also helps prevent nicking it on the faucet), let it dry while you clean up and get dressed, and wipe it down with an oily rag before you put it away.

I just wouldn't recommend using petroleum based oil anywhere except at the hinge pin. I always use “kitchen grade” mineral oil on my blades. Probably not a big deal, but I’m always concerned about contamination and irritation of the skin.

Look are very much a personal opinion.... I have owned both, and personally I prefer the Bismarck. The tang of the razor is a different shape than most (not the standard "straight" tang, it has a groove for you thumb) and I find it to be more comfortable. Also - the Pearlex has some what of a "cheap" look to it in my opinion, and when I would leave it sitting on the counter, it looked a little funny, and it would go unnoticed. When I would leave the Bismarck out to dry after a shave however - anyone who saw it, would comment on its beatuy/distinction, and inquire about straight razor shaving.

As an aside, I haven't had much of a problem with rust/staining of most carbon steel blades, anything with gold on it, tends to rust much quicker IF you do not take proper care of it. The only razor I have had "stain" at all, are Thiers Issards. No matter how careful I am... they stain, it is incredibly annoying.

My Dovo Bismarck is one of my favorite razors. Mine is a 6/8 round point. I doubt you will be disappointed with one, and they look AND shave like a million bucks.
Joel my TI's aren't *too* bad but they do seem to have more of a tendency than other razors I have, with one exception. I have a (once) beautiful FWE, but when I pulled it out of the case the other day there is contact corrosion from something or other, a very interesting pattern on one end, just on one side as if it had been painted with rust....so something got on it :frown:
bummer. It was a great razor. Still shaves fine, but she's not a looker anymore.
John P.

Top Bottom