What's new

What's a good vintage axe?

Personally, I use a chain saw and a gas powered wood splitter. Ain't nothing romantic about working in the woods.

Doc.

Amen, brother, amen. I used to cut and split firewood for spending money in high school. Now I only split wood when I've got the use of a buddy's log splitter.

Tell me what to buy.

Collins?
Plumb?
Swedish?

3.5 lbs?

4 lbs?

I have no clue, but I do know I need a better way to chop wood for this camping season.:wink:

My recommendation would be to go to a place that sells vintage stuff cheap and look around. So not an antique store where everything is expensive, but the kind of place that sells the contents of basements, garages, salvage, etc. Those kinds of places will often have a variety of vintage axe heads for a reasonable cost. You might have to replace the handle though.

good luck,

jim

I'm very partial to Swedish axes for felling. Husqvarna makes a wicked modern axe. I have no preference when it comes to splitting mauls.

Last summer I asked my Father why he never bought a gas powered wood splitter when we were growing up back in the 70's? His answer was with four sons he didn't need one.

Wow I didn't notice how old this was.:facep:

Last edited:
A maul and heavy sledge with a wedge along with a heavy hand sledge to start the wedge.

Axes are not the best thing to use for splitting wood.

How do I know?........ I split a bit every year...

proxy.php

A good double bit will weigh about 11 lb and have a slim profile on one side for chopping and the other will have a pronounced cheek closer to the mid point of the blade for splitting. A good brand to buy? Ford, Chevrolet, Packard, Glock. I would not even think of a vintage axe as being good since if you find one in good condition that means that it was no good in the first place and the owner did not use it much and bought something that did work. A good axe from the 30's would be sharpened countless times and used up the same as vintage saws.

Last edited:
Top Bottom