What's new

Need Sunblock/After-Sun Product Recommendations

I'm anticipating the warmer more active seasons and I'm curious if anyone would have recommendations for sunblock or even stuff you put on after sub-drenched activities. I try run and play a lot of tennis in the warmer seasons.

I'm partial to this Neutrogena:

http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Dr...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1233948721&sr=1-1

... but I'm wondering if anyone here would know any better, as I've had good luck getting good advice on everything else here.

I haven't tried after-sun concoctions or sunburn relief though.

Thanks!

The best sun protection cream I have found is the Boots Soltan range. It contains very stable UV filters. Very cheap on the High Street in Britain. I know in the US that Target sell some of the Boots products.

I swear by the Neutrogena you mentioned above. It's basically the only sunblock I use due to my extremely sensitive skin.

Thanks Thomas. That's good to know.

The best sun protection cream I have found is the Boots Soltan range. It contains very stable UV filters. Very cheap on the High Street in Britain. I know in the US that Target sell some of the Boots products.

Thanks David. I've never heard of the Boots product but will check it out.

Here's a link to a story in the Toronto Star that refers to the efficacy of children's sunscreens but there's good info for adult ones as well.
I find the Neutrogena & Ombrelle to be the best. I use a Neutrogena spray on my arms & legs, SPF 60 or so & an Ombrelle SPF 60 on my face.
I've already been tested twice for skin cancer (both times negative), I'm a redhead so I have to be careful with the sun.

http://tinyurl.com/5zcg2h or: http://www.healthzone.ca/health/article/475813

Last edited:
Another really good one recommended by a dermatologist is anthelios by Vichy (I think it's by Vichy), it's very expensive, but supposed to be very good.

Another really good one recommended by a dermatologist is anthelios by Vichy (I think it's by Vichy), it's very expensive, but supposed to be very good.

Someone actually recommended Anthelios to me off-line. Will check reviews. Thanks.

Someone actually recommended Anthelios to me off-line. Will check reviews. Thanks.

This has the same sunblock as the Ombrelle, which is the compound Mexoryl. I don't know why Anthelios is the only brand that is selling sunscreen with Mexoryl in the US, but that's probably part of the reason it's so expensive.

The Anthelios reviews at Amazon indicate that it might be really oily. I wonder if it's still worth a try. Might be good till the end of the colder season at least...

The Ombrelle dries a bit more tacky than I would like. That's why I like the proderma stuff so much it absorbs quickly and dries completely with not tackiness.

linky

I'd like to ask those who have tried the recommended sunblocks to report on how they smell. I'm used to lotions that smell distinctively, making it inappropriate for working in an office.

Have any of you tried any that have a neutral or pleasant/manly scent that wouldn't garner co-workers' sniffs after you walk-in out of the Los Angeles sun?

I think that's a good question and I'm curious as well.

Neutrogena Dry Touch is pretty pleasant and neutral but really just disappears after a while.

i like this stuff :blushing:

proxy.php

Being Scotch Irish, I'm very susceptible to burning. Even if I go outside for 15 mins, I'll come back with my nose and neck beet-red. In all my years of searching for a good sunscreen that can last through an active day there's nothing better than Blue Lizard. Bonus points for it using physical blockers instead of chemical ones too.

Being Scotch Irish, I'm very susceptible to burning. Even if I go outside for 15 mins, I'll come back with my nose and neck beet-red. In all my years of searching for a good sunscreen that can last through an active day there's nothing better than Blue Lizard. Bonus points for it using physical blockers instead of chemical ones too.

I guess that's the blue stuff that I see on some pro tennis players on TV...

Top Bottom