What's new

Has anyone customized an AS?

Based on my reading here, I decided to revisit an old standby, Aqua Velva. Wow what a blast from the past. I like the scent enough, but it never really felt like “me”. So after bringing a bottle home the other night, I slapped a little on my face to see if it was still the same stuff I remembered. Amazingly, they haven’t changed it at all!

So, anyway, I was making a martini, with a twist of lemon, and the combination of the Aqua Velva and the lemon/citrus smelled quite intriguing. I’m thinking of adding a citrus essential oil to a bit of the Velva and see if it comes out OK.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any pointers/tips?

Seeing the theme for "shave of the day" made me thin of this...

Well- I added some lemon essential oil to AV, and it has totally changed the scent, for the better, or so my wife tells me...

Now I get the cooling blast of AV, with a citrus kick!

That's a great idea. I hadn't thought of trying to change the scent of an AS before. I think I'll pick up some lime EO and get to work on some store brand AV clone I've got sitting around. How much oil did you add to get the desired effect?

Unfortunately I did not measure the AS or the EO.

I poured about an ounce of AS into another glass bottle, and started adding the EO. Sort of like cooking, I added the EO until I thought it was enough, then added a bit more. I shook the mixture well, and let settle for 24 hours. When I went back to it, the smell had changed signifigantly.

I'm planning on picking up some eucalyptus EO to add to my witch hazel too.

I just recently bought some Nivea Sensitive ASB and added Peppermint EO and a little Lime EO to it to give it a minty scent with a hint of lime added in. I just love it! I'm planning on doing the same thing to my Corn Husker's lotion to see if that helps out the scent any...can't hurt it that's for sure.

J.

My next question is where do you buy the EOs? I think I saw some at Michael's once that was for candle making. Is this the same oil I should buy for aftershave?

I have a witch hazel around here somewhere in my mess that I've put Spearmint EO and Eucalyptus EO into and it smells amazing. Now I've got to dig it out to remember if it burns horribly or not.:blushing:

I actually have a little perfuming experience and tend to make my own scents. I just recently started playing with an AS. It seriously helps to "age" whatever concoction for a week or more to let the scents marry. I added a little vetiver EO to a rose AS and man does it pop now.:thumbup:

Wanting to try witch hazel I bought some from my local drug store. Liked how it worked, but it smelled horrible. Added some cologne to the witch hazel and now have a great smelling splash.

Mixed some witch hazel, Everclear, glycerin, lavender EO, Grapefruit EO and distilled water. Before I splash on my face I mix a couple drops of Pinaud Clubman in my hand with the home brew. Was using Gillette Cool wave with the home brew but the CLubman is so much better in my wifes opinion.

Great replies! I just picked up some eucalyptis EO for my witch hazel. Now is doesn't smell so much like ...

I added some Lime EO to a sample sized bottle that I had filled with my L'Oreal AS Balm. I read somewhere else on these forums that this is a common thing to do to pump up the smell of some of the balms and moisterizers.

barbasol musk+av musk+old spice+glycerin
sharps citrus toner+orange blossom cologne+glycerin
pinaud special reserve+witch hazel+glycerin

I.m about to do it

I have 2 nice empty hand soap bottles, with a pump.

I bought 2 bottles of Nivea Extra Soothing balm.

I'm gonna make 2 customized balms:

- 1st one = Nivea Extra Soothing + Jason 98% Aloe Vera Gel, for summer (plus, the Jason also has Allantoin and Menthol) :cool:

- 2nd one = Nivea Extra Soothing + JR Watkins Lavender Body Oil (which also has a bunch of moisturizing oils, on top of the essential lavender oil); that one is more likely for winter :w00t:

Last edited:
The question was asked earlier in the thread but not answered.....where do you buy essential oils?

I was thinking about doing this, too, since I bought some witch hazel at Walmart and the smell is dag nasty.

Thanks in advance.

The question was asked earlier in the thread but not answered.....where do you buy essential oils?

I was thinking about doing this, too, since I bought some witch hazel at Walmart and the smell is dag nasty.

Thanks in advance.

I bought mine at a locally owned health food store. Hope that helps...

I put a good slug of WH in my Clubman (which is in an old AV bottle)---works great! Didn't measure----probably a tablespoon or so.

Top Bottom