What's new

Soap scum on my Merkur

So I'm new to this DE shaving. I've noticed a white film on my razor. It scratches off.

I'm assuming it's some kind of soap scum type thing. What is the standard practice here? Scrub it down once a week? Can it build-up and harm my razor?

it won't harm anything, but it does look ugly.

when i change out blades every couple of days, i give my razors a shot of scrubbing bubbles. takes the dried soap off quickly and makes everything shiny again...

If you don't have any scrubbing bubbles, try soaking the razor in hot tap water for a few minutes and then use some soft/dish soap and an old toothbrush to clean it up.

Rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball works great also. Each blade change, and a quick buff with a terry cloth towel, good to go.

Cleaning at a blade change is easiest. All I use is a toothbrush and running water. Sometimes I get lazy and don't clean it for a while, but it looks just as shiny each time regardless of how long between cleanings I give it.

Any soap scum removal spray would work, we happen to have scrubbing bubbles as someone has already suggested, works pretty good. I get in there and hit it with an old tooth brush as well. I have a 38C and it looks like new...

I just use an old toothbrush, some hot water and some bar soap. Cleans it off really easily. That said, I usually leave it on, as it doesn't bother me.

Every couple of days, if I have the time, I go through the following routine:

1) Disassemble the the razor. Carefully put the blade, flat, on top of something so that I don't damage the edge and I can easily pick it up again.

2) Fill a sink with warm water - and a couple drops of antibacterial liquid hand soap.

3) Gently scrub all three components with a warm sudsy water and a small nail brush.

4) Rinse in clear warm water and polish dry with a towel.

5) Reassemble the razor. Note: I make no attempt to clean the blade itself. Doing so seems pretty pointless and overly hazardous.

I prefer using a liquid hard soap (Dial antibacterial) as this is more of a "detergent" than a typical bar soap. This, I find, is more effective at cutting the soap scum. The razor gleams like new.

I wipe down the razor after every shave. Keeps the razor shiny and looking like new, no buildup. I like my equipment squeaky clean and looking good.

I give my razor a short soak (maybe 30 seconds) in barbicide following each shave. This keeps the soap scum from buidling up. Otherwise, the face of the razor is completely white by the time the 3rd or 4th shave rolls around for a blade change.

Each time I change the blade, I lay the my HD in the sink and hit it with Scrubbing Bubbles and an old toothbrush. Cleans it up with ease and takes about a minute if that.

it won't harm anything, but it does look ugly.

when i change out blades every couple of days, i give my razors a shot of scrubbing bubbles. takes the dried soap off quickly and makes everything shiny again...

Agree with this. Also, if you wipe down your razor after each use it will take longer to scum up.

For someone from East Lansing you have the wrong Avatar. :biggrin:

I beg to disagree. He's got the perfect avatar, but happens to live in a very unfortunate place. :lol:

(Funny, today just happens to be my day for running into fellow IU Hoosiers on B&B... go figure... perhaps I'll start a social group)

As for the soap scum, I just scrub it off with an old toothbrush every couple weeks or so. As long as it doesn't build up for weeks and weeks, it won't hurt the shave or the razor. Then maybe once every month or two I'll get out the scrubbing bubbles, the metal polish, and really make it shine. But that's not really necessary.

Last edited:
Toothbrush and hot tapwater do fine (adding soap is not needed since it is already there). Sometimes I use a dettol solution in between shaves; works great too.

Top Bottom