What's new

I want a new razor - torn between two kinds

I apologize if I've simply missed threads like this in the past and am simply repeating an old debate. I've tried searching, but the search terms are so common that I get thousands of results.

I want a new razor. I'm sure some of you can understand that notion. And I'm torn between two kinds.

I've been shaving with a Merkur Futur since I started DE wet shaving, and I like it. For the most part. I like the weight, I like the look. What I don't like so much is the size of the head and how it's sometimes difficult to get into small areas like under the nose. I find I almost never change the setting, ranging between about a 2.5 to 3.5, so I don't know that I need an adjustable.

So I'm thinking it's time to broaden my horizons, and I am looking at either a Merkur open comb (the 12C, basically the long-handle HD with an open comb) or the Merkur HD equivalent with a slant bar (the model number escapes me at the moment).

Here's why I'm having trouble deciding between what some will think are polar opposites: My technique is pretty good, so I think I'd do fine -- at least eventually -- with the slant. But I've read such wildly differing opinions on the open comb that I just can't decide.

On the one hand, I've read the OC is very aggressive and therefore just as sensitive to good technique as the slant or a wide-open Futur. On the other hand. I've read it's extremely mild and could take three or four WTG passes to get anywhere because the blade lies directly on top of the comb teeth, thereby dramatically reducing the amount of skin exposed to the blade on any given pass.

What's a guy to do with that kind of polarization in opinion? Frankly, I'd rather not go the "buy it, try it and (maybe) sell it" route, but it sort of looks like that may be my best option.

HELP!

Buy 'em both ... you won't be able to sleep at night wondering if you made the right choice.

I have the 39C Sledgehammer Slant, and I love it ... I can't comment on how well it performs under the nose, though, since I have a moustache/goatee and don't shave there. It can handle every other part on my beard with style and grace, even that pesky area under my right jaw that has defied every shaving method for the last 35 years.

I also have a vintage Gillette open comb, model unknown. I got good shaves the 3 or 4 times I used it, but generally, I leave it in the drawer and prefer to put my two Merkurs (39C and 34G) to use.

BTW, the model of the HD-Slant is 37C (I think.)

Just a thought here. Merkurs shave well but they are rather crudely manufactured and finished. My HD has a circle on the bottom of the head, from the casting process, I think. Gillette would have polished that out. My Futur has flaws in the finish. From posts I have read on this board, Merkurs can be subject to malfunction due to QC problems. I bought a NOS Gillette 1951 Superspeed, never used, in the box with instructions and pack of blades for $70, about the cost of a Futur and less than a Vision.

I'll give vintage some more consideration.

I actually bought a circa 1960 Gillette slim adjustable on eBay a while back, used it only a few times and now it's sitting in my cabinet gathering dust. I don't know why, but it just never "took" with me. Maybe it's time to give it another shot.

I actually bought a circa 1960 Gillette slim adjustable on eBay a while back, used it only a few times and now it's sitting in my cabinet gathering dust. I don't know why, but it just never "took" with me. Maybe it's time to give it another shot.

Adjustables are a little tricky to use at first since you can become distracted by settings, etc. I have a 61 slim and I love it, but I always reach for my 1926 NEW improved gold over any of the other Gillettes I have.

Curious. Why the need to get a "new" razor instead of a classically built masterpiece like a vintage Gillette?

I've used a schick krona a couple times this week and am impressed with the good shaves I'm getting plus it shaves under my nose really well. Got it off the bay for a total cost of $14. It's a cool looking razor too. Thinking about trying it with a feather blade.

Clayton

Go for the open comb; Merkur's OC models are not, repeating NOT aggressive at all. I have the 37G slant as well and it is doing a great job but if I ever had to choose between them I would go for the OC without a doubt.

I was going to suggest a Slim, based on what you stated your needs/desires were. I love mine, FWIW.

Well, based on a majority of replies, and some more reading on this site and elsewhere on the Web, I've gone ahead and ordered the Merkur 39C -- the long-handled HD slant razor. In the end, I guess it came down to hearing much more consistency of opinion about that razor and how it shaves than about the open comb -- really, opinions on the OC and its effectiveness seem to be all over the map.

I might go that way someday, but for now, I can't wait to try the slant.

Thanks, everyone, for chiming in.

Slant.

If you don't like it, it will be easy to sell in the BST forum.

I love SE razors, nothing comes close to them.. well, maybe a slant.:wink:

I am not that impressed with the old Gillettes. I have several and the one I like most is the New. Everyone is different, long live Choice!

Bingo. The slants fearsome rep is undeserved.

+1 ... there's nothing dangerous about using a slant, even loaded with the Almighty Feather.

I still wouldn't recommend a slant as a beginner's razor ... the reasoning is that you should shave for a while with some GOOD razors (HD, Fatboy, Tech, Gem, etc.) before you can appreciate a GREAT razor like the 39C.

You can't BUY Quality ... you have to grow into it.

Top Bottom