What's new

Sterilization?

Is Scrubbing Bubbles sufficient enough to sanitize a DE for shaving? I generally give used razors a good scrubbing then a little polish before using. So far I have had no hepatitis flare-ups. Just wondering if I need to do more.

DL

Dang, I just saw the "cleaning razors" sticky but I'm can't tell if it covers sterilization.

:blushing:

DL

Theres alot of different methods for sterilizing a razor.

I wouldn't personally leave it at scrubbing bubbles tho.
My own routine after a good cleaning is to give it a soak in Barbicide.

A fair few use Boiling , steaming , ultrasonic cleaners , IPA solution..

My own routine after a good cleaning is to give it a soak in Barbicide.

A fair few use Boiling , steaming , ultrasonic cleaners , IPA solution..

Seems like a big waste for India Pale Ale... :tongue_sm

Well, considering they were never sterilized in the first place, I don't know if that's an issue. Getting them clean enough to use is another.

I seriously doubt Gillette did much more than run them through a soap and water cleaning to get the plating solution off before they were packaged and sold.

I would think that Scrubbing Bubbles, along with some hot water (not even boiling, but above ~140-160 degrees F), would be sufficient. A 91% isopropyl alcohol or Barbicide soak for 5-10 minutes (or whatever the makers of Barbicide recommend) would be added insurance. Ultrasonic cleaning gets every nook and cranny, although it can be hard on the painted numbers on the adjustable razors.

Soap and hot water is all I've used on the used razors I've acquired so far (6) and I've had no problems. Of course, YMMV. Your body's immune system is an effective mechanism for catching the random incursion - if you have a weak immune system or are immuno-compromised, though, you would of course want to take more precautions.

If this is a concern, I would avoid any used TTO razors - some of the pics of disassembled razors will really put you off, what with all the gunk that gets down the barrel. The 3-piece razors, like a Tech, would be much easier to clean.

My own routine after a good cleaning is to give it a soak in Barbicide...

I do about the same. First clean it with hot water and soap or toothpaste using an old toothbrush. Then Barbicide for 10 to 30 minutes. The Barbcide will kill any Hep A,B,C viruses etc. Finish it off with Scrubbing Bubbles.

David

I clean up my HD with rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. Removes any residue and shines up nicely.

I don't worry about it much, but here's what I do. Before I shave with any newly-acquired used DE razor, I give even a clean & shiny one(even new-looking!) a single good scrubbing bubbles cleaning, then hot water soak & rinse.

If it looked grungy, *several*(at least 3) good SB cleanings(spray, let soak in SB, scrub) with a good hot water soak & rinse in between. Then a dunk & short soak in rubbing alcohol. YMMV.:wink:

About using 91% alcohol- I dunno if they still recommend this,*But*- years ago, those who knew claimed that isopropyl alcohol in the 7x% range was usuallya better a germ killer than the stronger 90-91% version. IIRC, it was something about the stronger solution dehydrating the microscopic baddies so fast & thoroughly that they sometimes formed a "shield layer"(my terminology) around their brethren, allowing some to live inside a clump of dead ones. The 70-71% solution, it was claimed, did a better job of soaking through & killing more germs. I first heard this from our local doctor in the late 1960's while he was sewing up my head(eyebrow ridge!) from yet another football booboo. I've read it a couple of times since- but not recently.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, fellas! I think I'll start using alcohol after my cleaning with scrubbing bubbles.

DL

this is good information for newbies, especially for the ones who wouldn't even think about it. good info and question guys.

Top Bottom