What's new

Found this - Who am I?

I bought this brush for $5 at a second-hand store. No identifying marks to tell me what I found. I had been using a green VDH brush instead, simply because it was "bigger". Turns out that was a mistake. I whipped up a batch of lather as an experiment this morning with this one after a lackluster batch turned in by the VDH. This brush outperforms the VDH in every way. Better lather, and it doesn't stay wet for hours on end. an hour later, it's nearly dry. And the bristles aren't all clumped.

What did I find here?

I'm no expert, but it looks comparable to some pics I've seen of worn-in boar brushes. Evidently when the boar brushes look like that, it's a good thing and they perform better? I don't know much about it though.

I'm no expert, but it looks comparable to some pics I've seen of worn-in boar brushes. Evidently when the boar brushes look like that, it's a good thing and they perform better? I don't know much about it though.

I haven't put it through a morning's shave yet, but it kicked the VDH's butt in the midday scrimmage. It gets the start tomorrow. :001_smile

The local antique "super store" as I will refer to it has three very old raggedy brushes on it's shelves. Some of them were stored bristle down in a mug and it gave the bristles a funny bend to them like we see in your pictures. None of the brushes looked to be badger hair, I couldn't identify them either.
In your case it maybe the same thing, you could try and straighten out the brush by putting it in a snug fitting toilet paper roll. The brush probably isn't worth trying to fix much though. Clean it up and use it if you like the results

Looks like a well bedded in boar to me. That's good, the rough part is done and now the bristles will be nice and soft on the tips and still have some backbone. The vintage handle is cool.

I had the boar part figured out from the start. I was hoping someone could ID who made this and when.

Top Bottom