What's new

I'm rather embarrassed.

I just checked to see if there was a UK based shaving forum and I found www.shaveforum.com where they discuss the pros and cons of cartridge shaving and canned foam. Not many members and you can see why.
As a mouth piece for a UK manufacturer (King of Shaves) it deserves to die on its feet and it looks like it already is.

I apologise sincerely and wholehartedly as my brothers no not what they do.

The first thread I saw was 'My face hurts :('.

Having read the thread, it is about a chap who hadn't shaved for a couple of days so when he did shave he cut himself a few times and irritated his face. Without the ability to do multiple passes there is no way to do beard reduction, as Mantic calls it.

Still, from what I have heard King of Shaves is one of the better modern shave system type things (according to one guy I know). Having said that, I don't feel a huge need to give them a go.

It might make you feel better about the state of UK shaving if you just wander down Jermyn Street, it may make your wallet feel worse though.

Last edited:
I just checked to see if there was a UK based shaving forum and I found www.shaveforum.com where they discuss the pros and cons of cartridge shaving and canned foam. Not many members and you can see why.
As a mouth piece for a UK manufacturer (King of Shaves) it deserves to die on its feet and it looks like it already is.

I apologise sincerely and wholehartedly as my brothers no not what they do.

I thought we came to the conclusion a while ago that discussions of all kinds of blades are welcome here.. Am I still living in fantasy land and the snide, back-handed insults to cartridge shavers are, in fact, going to continue?

I thought we came to the conclusion a while ago that discussions of all kinds of blades are welcome here.. Am I still living in fantasy land and the snide, back-handed insults to cartridge shavers are, in fact, going to continue?
I'm betting they're more snide, back-handed compliments. :wink:

i've used and liked the king of shaves shaving gel. and they actually aren't crap in a can. they are gunk in a plastic tube thingie. i find that if you're going to use that kind of stuff (cartridge razor and 'canned' goo) that king of shaves is actually the best!

From what I've seen the sentiment has begun to shift towards acceptance, but (if you'll excuse the pun) it's a painful transition.

I'm betting they're more snide, back-handed compliments. :wink:

I think your both missing the point...check introduction on this website by Founder of KOS and in particular his reference to wikenomics.

It is clear to me what this forum is trying to be and why...I don't particularly care what people choose to shave with and given the huge marketing budgets of KOS's rivals I don't blame them for trying.
What I care about is this cynical exercise dressed up as an excuse for the common good.

You are a legend in your own shaving mug if you are the mantic...who are you working for? :biggrin:

Last edited:
Sometimes you guys just don't understand our brothers across the Red River. They don't work for anybody and just barely put up with the rest of us. Its that Lone Star thing they got going on down there.

Sometimes you guys just don't understand our brothers across the Red River. They don't work for anybody and just barely put up with the rest of us. Its that Lone Star thing they got going on down there.

I don't think our friends from Across The Pond will understand that Red River reference, Dan. But the concept is true enough. :lol:

What I care about is this cynical exercise dressed up as an excuse for the common good.

+1

Very well put.

Re-reading my own earlier post I come across a bit rude, I didn't mean to be.

As you say, it is the way that this is being operated which is the most annoying. It's nothing about which razor you use or which lather (or even foam) you use with it.

Ps. Even us brits know that the Lone Star state is Texas (after checking on wikipedia). I also know that Southerners get grumpy if you call them yanks

We B&B cartridge users are an ornery, despicable lot. The fact that we've pulled off what so many couldn't; ie, getting an inexpensive, decent shave out of a multi-blade razor; we're looked upon with a mixture of scorn, disbelief, and wonderment. People fear what they don't understand! :biggrin:

But the forum on topic here does have some questionable ethics involved. I'd probably post there, but the whole thing is too limey and UK-centric for my tastes. :lol:

Ps. Even us brits know that the Lone Star state is Texas (after checking on wikipedia). I also know that Southerners get grumpy if you call them yanks

Actually, given the origin of the term, I'll wager that most all Americans will get grumpy if you call us yanks, given your geographic affiliation :wink:

The first thread I saw was 'My face hurts :('.

I also noticed this. It's almost too ironic.

Also, I find it creepy just how much those forums look like the B&B. Very similar color scheme, and layout.

mantic said:
I don't think our friends from Across The Pond will understand that Red River reference, Dan. But the concept is true enough.

As a Canadian, I also had to look this one up. To me, the Red River is a river that runs through Winnipeg, and floods the city almost every year. That, or Red River Cereal (a Canadian multi-grain porridge).

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't think our friends from Across The Pond will understand that Red River reference, Dan. But the concept is true enough. :lol:

Now, will our Lonestar friends understand that reference? :001_rolle

Actually I dont mind KoS. Ive never used their products or anything, but they did make an account here and sent out some free samples to those interested.

I dont think they won many converts (but all the cartridge companies will have written us off as insane), but you have to respect them for standing by their products, even on this board.

All that said ill be sitting up here on my high horse with a straight razor :biggrin:

Top Bottom