What's new

Should I Get a Alcohol-Based Toner?

Someone said something about such products resorting the skin's acid mantle following a cleansing due to their alcohol content.

True?

How necessary?

Everyone talks about Thayer's - would that be the toner to use?

Fill me, gentlemen!

I don't know how necessary it is, but using a toner every now and again makes my skin have a healthy glow to it. Ogallala Bay Rum Aftershave is advertised as a toner, and I must say it does its job very well, with or without shaving beforehand.

Someone said something about such products resorting the skin's acid mantle following a cleansing due to their alcohol content.

True?

How necessary?

Everyone talks about Thayer's - would that be the toner to use?

Fill me, gentlemen!

I don't know about restoring the skin's acid mantle, but Thayer's make some mighty fine Witch Hazels, which come in a variety of lovely scents. They also offer alcohol-free WHs.

Kaveh,

I think they are best used as an aftershave. I currently use Burt's Bees Rosewater & Glycerin Toner as an aftershave and it works very well. It is very similar to Harris Pink. I can also recommend Thayer's Medicated Superhazel although the scent is very minty. Some guys use a 3 or 4 post shave products but I like to keep it simple.

Clint

Many of these Thayer's options sound enormously appealing.

Question: What exactly is witchhazel and is it an astringent and toner in and of itself or because of the alcohol added to it? (CVS, for example, sells a Witchhazel conduction comprising 84% WH, 16% alcohol).

Very confused about all this!

I'm also considering just getting cheap Vodka and adding food-grade glycerin to it...

Last edited:
I'd buy the Thayer's (no alcohol). It smells better and does a better job than the alcohol based ones (in my opinion).

Kaveh,

Witch Hazel is used in a lot of skin care products because of its antiseptic properties and it is gentler on the skin than alcohol. You could describe most any liquid concoction as a toner if it is used on the skin. It doesn't really have a set definition and most of the so-called toners don't really do anything of substance other than smell nice.

Your combination of Vodka and Glycerin wouldn't be that far off from a lot of the traditional aftershave splashes that are out there. I tend to stay away from any splash that has over 20% alcohol in them because they don't agree with my skin.

Clint

I thought I read somewhere that witch hazel is made from a plant or tree with the same name. There were a lot of uses listed for witch hazel such as shaving cuts, bruises, burns, and so on. I've been thinking of getting some Thayer's and keeping an eye open at stores. I may have to order online.

Shaggy,

You can find Thayer's at most health food stores. In my area Whole Foods, Wild Oats, Sprouts and GNC all carry it.

Clint

Top Bottom