What's new

Right/ Left Handed

I Am New to B&B ... @ this Point Am I Shaving using a Gillette Mach 3 & Art of Shaving Preshave, Cream, & Pure Badger Brush ( Waiting for a DE & New Preshave, Cream, Bowl, Blades, Postshave, & Best or Super Badger Brush ) ... Tried New Techniques & Such ToDay after Reading many past threads ... ...

To My Question ... I Am Right Handed & Use only My Right Hand when Shaving ... I Have Noticed that the Left Hand Side of My Neck & Area Near My Cheek across from the Corner of My Mouth are the most Irritated ( Rash & InGrown Hairs ) from/after Shaving ... Would using My Left Hand for Shaving the Left Side of My Face Help, & Do I Need to use My Left Hand for Left Side & Right Hand for Right Side with a DE ... ??? ...

I am right handed and shave only with my right hand. New straight razor users are recommended to learn to shave with their opposite hand while everything still feels new and awkward, although many shave with their dominant hand solely. Food for thought.

Dennis

Hi Tribe...and welcome!

I am right handed and only shave with my right hand. It might help you to pay close attention to blade angle and movement while you're shaving the right side of your face (since that is where you're currently getting your best shave), and try to duplicate the same angle and movements when you cross over to your left side.

When I first started shaving with a DE, I had the opposite experience as you, i.e., I was getting better shaves on the opposite side as my hand. But after paying close attention to everything I was doing, I am now able to achieve great results on both sides using just my right hand. :smile:

Tribe,

I am right-handed and switch the razor to the left hand for shaving part of my neck. (Because I use my right hand to pull the skin on the neck tight, and it´s less awkward this way than the other way.)

If what you are doing isn´t working as well as you´d like, you might as well try something different. Obviously you want to be very careful using the opposite hand.

The neck is a problem area for a lot of us, and I had a lot of trouble getting a decent shave, let alone a close one, on the neck. It took some study of the hair growth on the neck, and a lot of experimentation, to get good results. The key idea turned out to be gradual reduction, in three or four passes.

You said you´ve read a lot of threads -- did you find Kyle´s explanation of how to grip the razor at the end of the handle?

All I can add is to keep trying -- but do start it now. I've been wet-shaving for decades and had never considered trying my left hand until I started reading here. The reasons to do it make sense, but shaving both sides with my right hand is so automatic, I'm having trouble making the transition to left hand for the left side of my face.

Keep trying. I am. :wink:

Gene.

Hi Tribe

I have always shaved just with my right hand, but occationally when I find a spot that is too awkward for my right hand, I will switch to my left and be EXTREEMLY careful.

I use both hands, the left for the left side and the right for the right side (duh!). I find that I get the best shave with the least irritation doing it this way.

That being said, I'm left-handed and lefties are generally better with their right hand than right-handed people (its because we are constantly discriminated against and have to continually adapt to living in a right-handed world!:biggrin: )

I also use just my right hand for shaving. It just seems natural for me. My only advice for you is to find what works best for you. There is no right or wrong way.But multiple passes do seem to work best for me.

Top Bottom